1996 XR400R for hunting

jge340456

FNG
great bike. search for info and mods on thumpertalk forum.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Thanks guys. Checked out advrider.com and found a 741 page thread going back to 2004…!! Will check out advbikes too.

great bike. search for info and mods on thumpertalk forum.

Funny I was just at that site and created an account. Thanks!

TheTone

WKR
Honda killing off the XR’s and kinda sorta replacing them with the CRF-F’s always seemed like such a mistake to me. Dealers around me sold TONS of XR’s and you saw them everywhere. Seems now everyone is buying a full on motocross bike or cross country race bike and riding it in the woods. I get that they’re a better bike for going fast but a lot of guys used XR’s for hunting or just riding trails with no desire to jump or go fast

11boo

WKR
Mine was a trouble free beast. Get it running and see how loud it is. They sell new mufflers that really quiet it down with no performance hit.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
Definitely learning the xr400s have quite the following. @11boo Glad to hear yours was trouble free. Mine came with an aftermarket exhaust and Ive read about quieting them down. Will be a goal once I get it running. Looks for a maintenance manual right now so i can wire it, then take it apart for repairs.

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
All good, thanks. A guy on thumpertalk just sent me the honda factory service manual. About to go work on the bike here in a minute. After getting the boot and deleting all other social media, Ive found forums to be such a better use (or waste haha) of time. Rebuilt a ‘79 starcraft with the help of a forum. Rokslide satisfies my hunting addiction. But lets face it - built the boat to have fun, fish, and of course hunt. Bike will be just another hunting tool 😁

Had a 2002 XR250R bought used 15 years ago. Totally reliable. You are on the right track gearing it down. Mine was too fast for the jeep roads with a backpack on in the CO high country with factory gearing.

Lowering it would be good. I have a long inseam for a 5'11" tall guy...and still had trouble sticking a foot down in the real nasty rocky stuff I was trying to crawl through. In actually the old Honda TL250 Trials bike (1976?) I had was an excellent back country CO Jeep road bike. Got talked out of it by a a friend. It was slow as heck, light and low for ease in putting a foot down, but had a very poor trials seat (think 10-speed) and no lights.

Finally sold the XR250R after a couple years for $500 more than I paid for it and bought a 2003 Honda 350 Rancher ATV. It was what I needed for back country hunting access on the Jeep roads around Lake County, CO My buddy now has it in BC.

You got a deal on your 400! Have fun with it!

Not any more. They've been taken over by vertical scrote, the new place is advbikes.com

That's a good old bike. You can like sort the carb yourself, shocks too, but it's easier and less messy to take em to a shop.
Damn, probably been over a year or so since I've really been on there much since I haven't been riding/racing. Met quite a few good people and also some fast guys on there. Shame