19C or 25A

Bambistew

WKR
Depends... on a lot of things, based purely on success rates, 19C has a higher percent success for guided hunters last 10 years ~76% vs ~68% This last year was a tough year in 25A it appears... success rate was down near 60%. Could be weather, could be low sheep numbers.

Personally, it would really depend on who you're hunting with. As the outfitter (I presume you're going guided) how they did last year, not only how many they killed, but did they see many younger rams. We are in a funky cycle, with the ram numbers being down in many areas due to a large winter kill about 8 years ago, and another bad winter last year. Some areas where hit harder than others, and its especially localized in some GMUs. Parts of 25A took a beating in 2012. 19C has for the most part been spared, but supposedly sheep numbers are down there as well, but its not reflected in the harvest data.

ADFG doesn't monitor sheep numbers very closely in the vast majority of the state. At best they get an aerial count every few years in a few select areas. 25A has a study area that they monitor yearly, but it's really not indicative of the entire GMU, more of a benchmark they keep tabs on.

I would track down the bio's for the areas and talk with them, and call and talk with a few outfitters that hunt the areas.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Actually, 25A is not your best option because most of that subunit is the Yukon Flats and foothills. You might consider the habitat where sheep would normally be found, which pushes you closer to GMU 26B or 26C. The only huntable numbers in 25A would be the far upper sheenjek, which is not where I'd send my friends. The areas in 25A east of the Coleen are not worth the hundos to reach it, even if sheep were plentiful and they are not. Bump north and you'll have a better poke at it, IMO

wantj43

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, 25A is not your best option because most of that subunit is the Yukon Flats and foothills. You might consider the habitat where sheep would normally be found, which pushes you closer to GMU 26B or 26C. The only huntable numbers in 25A would be the far upper sheenjek, which is not where I'd send my friends. The areas in 25A east of the Coleen are not worth the hundos to reach it, even if sheep were plentiful and they are not. Bump north and you'll have a better poke at it, IMO
? Joe Want