1lb difference in elk rifle- is it worth it?

h2so4

WKR
I’m considering upgrading to a Christensen arms ridgeline in 6.5 that weighs in 6.2lb according to the website. I have an old Remington 270 with mag-na-ports. With a heavy leather sling and no scope/rings it weighs in at 7.2 lbs. it has a shorter barrel, around 20”.
I’m not concerned on the difference in cartridges, both would be fine for my self imposed range limit of 350 yards. I’ll put a VX5-HD 2-10 on it.

Is the extra pound of difference worth the $1500 for a new rifle? I do like new, fancy rifles... but I’m thinking it wouldn’t be worth it. That’s a lot of practice ammo to work with.
Thanks!

22lr

WKR
Not worth it just for the weight in my opinion. For $600 you could get an ultra-light stock (like the McMillan Edge) for the Rem and be close to the same weight (unless your already running a carbon composite stock on it). Also, Butler Creek just came out with a lightweight sling as well, looks interesting and I'll be trying it out on a sheep hunt here in Aug. Would be able to save a handful of ounces there for about $25.

But don't let me talk you out of a new rifle... I love new rifles...

tdot

WKR
Take off the leather sling and you'll only be a few ounces away from the new rifle. I'm pretty sure that mod is free.

If the new rifle is better balanced or fits you better, then maybe the upgrade is worth it. But just for a few ounces. No.

weaver

WKR
If you have the cash, go for it. Wouldn't be worth it to me but I've heard way worse excuses to buy a new rifle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Nope. You could take that $1500 and turn your 700 into more likely a much better rifle than the Christensen with a new barrel, stock, and blueprinting the action. And get yourself a new light sling and a pile of ammo or reloading components with the leftover. You can make it any weight you want with $1500.

LJ Buck

WKR
The reason I try to get a lighter rifle like a Ridgeline is so I can put a heavier scope on it like maybe a NF allowing you to do a lot with a gun like that. If your range is 350yds then no need for a bunch of up grading.

Kotaman

WKR
The problem is you have no idea what the Ridgeline is going to come in at. Could be 5.8 or could be 7.3, they are all over the board. So if you are really just looking to save a lb., you'll want to weigh that Ridgeline before you take it home. With that said, for an elk rifle, I don't worry about a lb. as much as I would for a sheep or goat rifle.

Dhbwa

WKR
Most (and mine) 6.5 CM Ridgelines with 24” are right at 6.5lbs bare. Whether you want a new rifle is up to you....I’m in no position to say since I have about 20 lightish hunting rifles....

Mr. W

FNG
No, that's ammo, scope or hunting trip dough. Just go #2 before your hunt and you've dropped that pound.

Sled

WKR
For your use, probably not. If you're bored with your current rifle I can understand. Personally I wouldn't put any money into the Remington but that's just my bias after too many mistakes. There are plenty of other quality off the shelf rifles that will drop weight and allow glass that is plenty capable at longer distances than you'll be hunting. Buy a used rifle and save even more. Plenty of ways to lighten them up. And yes, for stalking or creeping through the woods it is noticeable to be a pound lighter if you're rifle is at the ready in your hands. If you're going to leave it on the pack then you may not notice that 1 lb. And if you keep it on the pack it could also lighten your load for the end of the day since you don't have to pack out any meat, just the heavy rifle on your back.

gearguywb

WKR
For the reasons stated...No.

Do you want a new rifle? Have the itch for something different? Need a new 6.5 mm Schnitzlehoofer magnum? Well then, of course its worth it!