1lb difference in elk rifle- is it worth it?

brsnow

WKR
For me it makes a difference, I do have a gun bearer which is great, but most of the time I like to carry my rifle.

brsnow

WKR
My current fieldcraft is 3/4lb heavier than my kimber and couple days in the mountains so far and I can notice the difference.

PA Hunter

WKR
I lugged a 13 lb Remington. 300 ultra mag Sendero around for many years up & down mountains of Wyoming, Montana & Colorado & Boggs of Newfoundland and i realize now how stupid i was. That rifle is now a safe queen and replaced with a Fierce Carbon Titanium about 7.5 with scope & bipod what a delight.

The older you get the lighter the rifle you will want.

njdoxie

WKR
For me it was, I had a 7.75lb (bare) Browning, finally reached my breaking point, got tired of lugging it around and bought a 6lb (bare) Tikka super lite in 300 win mag, shoots great and only cost $600. I had Sportsmans Warehouse weigh it before I bought, then weighed with my own scale and both agreed at 6lbs, that's it's advertised weight (yes I was skeptical that it would actually weigh what it was advertised to weigh, as I've been burned before). I'm getting older and weight matters greatly to me. Wish I bought it 10 years ago, as there were many times over the years where I would think to myself, that I need a lighter everything including rifle. Only cost me $200-$300, as I sold my previous rifle to finance the new one. And it does feel light in my hand.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
Maybe this is the unpopular opinion but here it goes. I know the caliber isn't an issue, you like both. I could make a case on that but I won't. I think it is more than just a 1lb difference. You get a trigger tech trigger, a very rigid stock, limb saver recoil pad (which I really like), carbon wrapped barrel, cerakoted action and barrel metal. All of which are a step in the right direction compared to your .270 in my opinion. Plus its a little lighter.

87TT

WKR
If you want a new gun and can afford it, why not? My newest centerfire is 42 years old. (Ruger M77R 30 06). I did just spend over grand for flintlock "kit" that took me 140+ hrs. to build. As for weight, I don't use a sling unless I am dragging out a deer.

Maybe this is the unpopular opinion but here it goes. I know the caliber isn't an issue, you like both. I could make a case on that but I won't. I think it is more than just a 1lb difference. You get a trigger tech trigger, a very rigid stock, limb saver recoil pad (which I really like), carbon wrapped barrel, cerakoted action and barrel metal. All of which are a step in the right direction compared to your .270 in my opinion. Plus its a little lighter.

Agree with all but the rigid stock part. The forearms of every ridgeline I’ve handled have been quite flexible and the grip is pretty lousy.

rootacres

WKR
Agree with all but the rigid stock part. The forearms of every ridgeline I’ve handled have been quite flexible and the grip is pretty lousy.

Yeah you're right. I probably should have added some context. The Ridgeline stock I had was considerably more rigid than pretty much all factory synthetic stocks I have messed with. But was not as rigid as the Axial (now alterra arms) stock I have now on my custom build.

WKR
OP probably made a decision and moved on already. If I was in those shoes, I'd cut that magnaport off, buy a high quality suppressor and enjoy shooting more.

Sled

WKR
I would much rather have a rifle a pound too heavy than a pound too light. I bought a Browning HC Speed and wish it were heavier.

Well you're in luck. It doesn't take much work or any money to accomplish your goal.

Reactions: BCD

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Not worth it. I'll take a heavier rifle every time as I'm way more consistently accurate with the heavier rifle. My "light" rifle is over 9lbs.

Stalker69

WKR
Eat less for breakfast, it would not be worth it to me. One pound is nothin* really. Mud on your boots may weigh more then that, or what you ate probably weight about that. But if you need an excuse to buy a new rifle and that’s the only thing you can come with, buy one. I know I’ve bought some with less of an excuse then that.

No and anyone who spends an extra grant on a rfile to cut a pound needs to have their head checked. lol

Eat less for breakfast, it would not be worth it to me. One pound is nothin* really. Mud on your boots may weigh more then that, or what you ate probably weight about that. But if you need an excuse to buy a new rifle and that’s the only thing you can come with, buy one. I know I’ve bought some with less of an excuse then that.
As mentioned, the OP has probably moved on. But agree with this. I am a cyclist and (at least formerly) a competitive triathlete. I see guys spending beaucoup bucks to save a few grams on a bottle holder for their $10,000 bike, but then then they squeeze a big belly into their tri kit. The same applies to rifles. It's a lot less expensive to remove weight from the guy carrying the gun than the gun.

Sled

WKR
How would I add about a pound to my rifle?

Thanks!!
same way you add weight to a pinewood derby car. find where the rifle needs it for balance and take off the butt plate or stock and add some lead to the appropriate spot. cover with some epoxy or bedding compound. since most rifles are front heavy you might want to work it into the back end somewhere.