1LB Vs. $250?

Floorguy

WKR
My preference would be the Savage. As mentioned they shoot great out of the box (how can they not?) you can change calibers or barrels yourself if you want, and they have a good trigger. I would prefer not to get one of the rifle packages either.

Not sure what you mean by how can they not?

TwoTikkas

WKR
I may as well weigh in here too. Of the Savages I've had ( 223,243 & 22/250 ) all were very good shooters. They were all the early Accu Trigger models right after the company re-do. The best thing about them was their ability to shoot sub MOA easily. The synthetic stocks were very poor,and the metal finish was worse. All were blued versions and I would guess the stainless would have been better overall. Heavy,ugly,rough and pretty cheaply made. In their defense they were some of the best out of the box accuracy wise I've had. The Tikkas that I'm familiar with are all T3s, ( 22/250,25/06,30/06,7 RM,300 WSM & 338 ) and all pretty much carbon copies of each other. No surprises. Up until the price hike this year,they were quite afordable,and quite accurate as well. Yes there are some plastic parts. I'm OK with it. These are working rifles. Light,accurate,handy and smooth. Nothing smoother than a single stack mag. No sideways movement of the cartridge popping out from under the rails. When was the last time you needed more than 4 rounds of ammo at one time? If you do you can carry an extra loaded mag in a handy breast pocket and go to it with 3 more rounds if necessary. I wear a lot of Cabelas fleece and the models I have all have the nicest zippered brest pocket for just such an occasion. If you own more than one Tikka of similar cartridge length and girth,you can borrow a mag or two from the others if you want. Saves buying a bunch of $60.00 extra mags. Would I put them in the same class as a semi-custom rifle? Nope. I would and have bought them ahead of some other rifles costing much more and have no regrets. I'm comfortable with them. I'd trust one in big bear country,confident in their reliability. I'd count on one to shoulder the responsibility of taking a high country sheep or goat. Light and reliable at between 7.5 and 8 lbs field ready with a Leupold variable in Talley light weights. A big deal at my age,lol.

tstowater

WKR
Get the rifle that will shoot (and a decent trigger) and buy a better scope. I'm not getting in the argument as I don't have enough experience with either brand of rifles.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many differing opinions on this one for sure. I have owned a tikka 7mm since 2003. All I will say is in 10 season of use it has put alot of antlers on the wall, primarily bull elk. It continues to shoot very well after 40+ boxes of shells have gone through it. It has not let me down in extreme cold, sno and in an area that sees ALOT of moisture in Nwest Mt and NIdaho. If you choose the tikka I believe you will be happy with your choice.

To answer your original question of whether 1lb is worth $250, you have to look at the type of hunting you will be using it for. Dropping rifle weight is great, no, awesome, when you're hunting rough country. But it also makes magnums kick harder and it makes them tough to hold still for long shots. Whichever one fits your hunting style is the gun to buy, and yes, 1lb of rifle weight is worth $250 when you need to lighten up.

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
I think I might have to talk my self out of the 7mm mag to save on weight. The 300WSM -.75lbs, the 7mm-08 -1lb I just have the 7mm mag in my head as the ultimate flat shooting hunting rifle...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have had all three of those calibers, and currently have both a 7-08 and 7 RM. If shots were limited to 400 and in, I would choose the 7-08 every time. Wonderful cartridge.

I think I might have to talk my self out of the 7mm mag to save on weight. The 300WSM -.75lbs, the 7mm-08 -1lb I just have the 7mm mag in my head as the ultimate flat shooting hunting rifle...

Lazer rangefinders, modern high-B.C. bullets, and BDC crosshairs/turrets have pretty much eliminated any advantage the magnums hold over standard cartridges out to 500 yards or so.

Not sure what you mean by how can they not?

The Savages has a free floating button rifled barrel, the accu-trigger, floating bolt head, with the locknut type system you don't have to worry about head spacing, and depending on model you might have the accu stock. Generally these are features you pay a gunsmith for once you buy a rifle, but they come standard with the Savage.

The Marlin is more or less a copy of the Savage system, and will more than likely shoot well also.

Shrek

WKR
The remlin doesn't have aftermarket for improvements that the savage does. No triggers , stocks , or barrel market. It may develop but it is a price point rifle and not the flagship of the remlin line .

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The remlin doesn't have aftermarket for improvements that the savage does. No triggers , stocks , or barrel market. It may develop but it is a price point rifle and not the flagship of the remlin line .

Very true, you'd be stuck with going out and tipping over animals with the great trigger as is, and yes you can thread on new barrels just like a savage with the Remlins. But yes you only have one aftermarket stock option that I know of for now. But as far as I can see $300 for a 6.25 pound gun that comes with a trigger like the accutrigger and shoot better than they should given the money, its hard to find a savage that compete with that price point. If you drop down to a Stevens then yeah you can get in that price range but you give up mag capacity and accutrigger. Certainly a lot of options out there and better rifles, but if you are looking for an inexpensive rifle that is lightweight so you can put that money towards something you'll use more than 2-3 seconds on a given hunt, thats the route I'd go. :D

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
McGowan is making prefit barrels for the Marlins. I agree that aftermarket stock options (that's punny) are a downside though.

tstowater

WKR
Query: What does the gun weigh full of ammo? I usually carry the gun with at least the magazine full. Obviously if you want to compare apples to apples on different manufacturers/models it would make sense to weigh with the guns empty. Might want to consider whether different calibers are going to make a weight difference to add to the discussion.

TwoTikkas

WKR
001.jpg

This is pretty much the norm for the Tikkas I've had. 4 rounds of ammo, sling, & Leupold 3X-9X. Of course barrel length and bore dia make a little difference. This is a 24" 338 Win Mag,and it runs pretty close weight wise to a 22" 06 or 270. I never weighed any of my Savages all up that I can remember.

mym93

FNG
I've shot multiple Savages over my hunting careers all the way back to the old 99's and they've all been tack drivers. Wouldn't hesitate.