1LB Vs. $250?

bowinhand

WKR
I'm looking at Rifles in 7MM REM MAG and found the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless ( I'd have to look for a scope around $200) and the Savage Model 116 Trophy Hunter XP Package. I know the Tikka has a solid reputation but what about the savage? does it compare with the Tikka except for the weight? the Tikka being guesstimated at 7.25lbs (with scope) and the Savage listed at 8.25lbs.

Last edited:

shaun

WKR
I know Savage has kind of rebuilt there name over the past gouple of years and they are a decent gun especially for the price. Personally I am a fan of tikka. They are made by Sako and have very few different parts than the big brother and you are hard pressed to find a better shooting gun out of the box than Tikka. Remember these are opinions

Jdog

WKR
Both Savage and Tikka have great reputations for being very good shooters right outta the box.

I have owned both. My only gripe with the Tikka was the plastic magazine...after a few years of sheep hunts with it, mine would fall out very easily. Sometimes I would look down and it would be out or hanging out. I got rid of it b/c of that.

a3dhunter

WKR
I'm looking at Rifles in 7MM REM MAG and found the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless ( I'd have to look for a scope around $200) and the Savage Model 116 Trophy Hunter XP Package. I know the Tikka has a solid reputation but what about the savage? does it compare with the Tikka except for the weight? the Tikka being guesstimated at 7.25lbs (with scope) and the Savage listed at 8.25lbs.

The Tikka's I've seen were just short of junk. Poor tolerances and weren't appealing at all, but I have not shot one. After handling a few, I knew I would never be pleased spending my money on one.
The Savage rifles I've handled have been very good, and I would not hesitate to buy one.

When I was searching, I settled on a Ruger M77 with laminated stock and stainless action and barrel for under $500. Then put a aftermarket trigger in it and then bed and float. Topped it with a Vortex Viper scope. For a total of under $1000 I got the gun I wanted, just not sure it was worth it, should have kept shooting my old 30.06

OP
B

bowinhand

WKR
Hmm... I think both of these have plastic box magazines. I don't know how much use the gun will get, probably late cow elk hunts but then again...

Mckinnon

WKR
I like the savages very much, they are great right out of the box. They also just came out with a new model, the lightweight hunter I believe its called. That might save your weight dilemma....? They list this rifle in 260 Rem and 308 at 5.5 lbs. Also for a scope around $200 I would tae a look at the Nikon Buckmaster in 3-9x40, or a Vortex Viper in 2-7x32. Keep in mind I have never owned or shot a Tikka so I can't comment as to their quality or lack thereof either way.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I own a couple Tikkas and love them. I have never had a single problem with them and they shoot awesome! Their actions are one of the strongest and lightest according to my gun smith. He says they are 3.5 times stiffer than a Remington action, which is why I just used one for my custom. I personally think the Tikka rifles are the best gun available for the money. Just my opinion.

Jdog, have you used a Tikka? You can adjust the trigger very quickly with an allen wrench. Both of the Tikkas I own right now have very crisp and light triggers. They are probably my favorite factory trigger. I didn't even change out the trigger when I used a Tikka action for a custom rifle.

20121214_184234.jpg

Floorguy

WKR
If buying new check the factory test target as well and compare between the guns. In the end it will come down to personal preference like the person above who bought the ruger with laminated stock that is what I have been using. With any luck that ruger won't be taken into the field at all this year. Mine is heavy I really dislike the integral scope ring assembly and my stock didn't hold up against the elements.

Shrek

WKR
I would go with the Savage. The tikka is an ok rifle but it doesn't stack up to the savage. The accutrigger is a much better trigger , the savage barrels are button pulled and some of the best put on a production rifle. The savage bolt face is a floating design that mates to the reciever lugs wthout the need to lap the bolt lugs and you can swap out barrels yourself at home . Even the package stock is pillar bedded . The savage is made in the USA. Did you add the weight of the scope mounts to the tikka ? The non package 116 savage is a little more but you get the accustock for the money. If you are really short on cash you can get open box and refurbished scopes from dealers like cameraland , natchez shooters supply , and others . Almost all the scopes I buy these days are demo scopes.

Shrek

WKR
The last ruger I had will be my last ever. Heavy , rough cycling and only adout 30% lug contact. Shot terrible and even the aftermarket trigger was creeeeepy.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I like Tikkas, I'd still have one if it wasn't for getting a Kimber. It depends where you are at with other gear you have. Can you save another pound somewhere else in your gear for $250?

If not set on 7Mag you could get a 270 or 30-06 in Marlin XL7 for $300 and of the 3 I've been around they all shot the lights out and they start out at 6.5 pounds as well and would be the same all up weight as a Tikka nearly but with a blind magazine and accu style trigger.

I have spent a pile of money on different lightweight rigs but in reality most of us can put a killing shot on a game animal inside 300 yards with any reasonable rifle that shoots halfway decent. Go with what you like best after handling them both.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I also really like Savages for out-of-the-box rifles.

Nothing wrong with tikkas either, though. I really like that Bell and Carlson is making their medalist stocks for the T3 now, but that would add some weight.

Luke is spot on with the Marlin XL7s being great values as well, and they are just the older savage barrel nut design.

Tough to take a wrong turn here. If the weight is a top priority, the Tikka would probably be the best bet.

Wow, lots of widely differing opinions.

I personally owned both a Savage and a Tikka at the same time. Both shot fine (Tikka actually shoots great), but beyond that they weren't really comparable. The Savage had poor machining, loose tolerances, and lots of rough parts. Getting it to feed reliably took some work. The Tikka is tight, smooth, feeds anything and shoots almost all 180 gr loads to the same POA.

The stock on the savage was very soft flexible synthetic, while the Tikka was stiffer and much better quality material. Design wise, I also like the Tikka better, as it uses a bare minimum of moving parts, compared the the Savages more complicated modular design. Another thing I have grown to like about the Tikka is that closed top action. Although I thought it was going to by annoying at first, I found that it very effectively seals out snow, ice, mud, etc from getting inside my action. Since I do a lot of winter hunting, this is a big perk to me. The Savage other the other hand had some big gaps around the bolt that would let snow into the magazine and left lug rail. The Tikka bolts also maintain their "slickness" in subzero temps better than any other rifle action I've tried, including classics like the per-64 win.

Savages aren't junk, and Tikkas aren't perfect... but I'd take the Tikka 10 times out of 10 for my uses. Mine has seen plenty of crummy weather, and high mountains and is my go-to gun for everything I hunt.

IMG_0377.jpg

Dangerous game....

IMG_2732.jpg

-20 on this day...

moose.jpg

As a side note, beware the "package" scope on the Savage or any other gun. The ones I've seen have been total garbage.

Yk

My preference would be the Savage. As mentioned they shoot great out of the box (how can they not?) you can change calibers or barrels yourself if you want, and they have a good trigger. I would prefer not to get one of the rifle packages either.

hunting1

WKR
I have 3-Savages that will reliably shoot .5" groups all day and have an amazing trigger. I had all Remingtons until this year when I picked up 2-.308's and 1-.300WM. I will buy another if I get any more rifles. The Tikkas have a solid reputation and following, but I do not like the feel.