1P tent set up

Rwatwood

FNG
I’ve been running 2p Luxe Tipi for the past couple years and am looking to change it up to something smaller and with a floor.

I’m looking at a Nemo Spike, SG Sky Air ULT and giving the SO Silex and Eolus a serious look even though they aren’t floored.

I’ve never used a tent like the Spike or SG. Anybody have any insight on these types? How bad is the condensation? I’m assuming they shed wind well seeing that they are small and close to the ground.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Silex that I paired with a custom bivy from Borah gear. I have used it for the past year and a half. It has worked flawlessly. No condensation issues at all. Great company to deal with. Well made, plenty of room for one and gear. I've never used either of the other 2, so can't comment of them.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Seems like the stone glacier one is just a tarp with a separate piece that makes a floor. I ended up with a hilleberg unna which works pretty well but dosent have a vestibule.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can use a full inner with the Silex, which makes it essentially a double walled floor tent at 2 lbs. The inner is pretty nice and is about 8 ounces more than a bivy.

Lando

WKR
No experience with the ones you mention, but I'd also consider the Durston X-mid 1p or 2p.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
That SG Sky Ult is a system, meaning you can do tarp, tarp+floor, tarp + inner mesh body/floor, and you can add a vestibule to them all. That modularity makes it a bit more unique of an option compared with the normal tiny 1 man tent. Kuiu took this approach with their revised 1-man tent system.

I’ve done a few 1-mans and condensation is a very real concer, in fact the ability to manage it is “the” concern in my eyes. not a lot of inner volume and small tent surface area, which means you need good ventilation to combat it. That’s where the SG tarp (also see slingfin split wing tarp) really shines for me. It’s a little bigger than most 1 mans at the head end, and being able to vary the pitch and venting helps manage the moisture well.

Review

My notes on the shelter from past season are in this thread.

The SO options look great as well, I just haven’t tried them. That Nemo spike design has gone through some iterations and the latest one looks much better than the past for access, ventilation, and they seem to have improved the head and floor space.

I have the eolus with the nest and I don't find it bad at all to carry. It packs down really well so thats something to consider. I do also like how I could run without the nest if I'm trying to shave oz. It's just gives me the flexibility ice always looked for in a hunting/backpacking set up.