1st 6 Years of Hunting

Fowler530

WKR
Great story, attitude and pics!! Your papa would definitely be proud of you and your accomplishments!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service!! 🇺🇲

OP
bguitierez
Great story, attitude and pics!! Your papa would definitely be proud of you and your accomplishments!! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service!!

You know I hope so. The reconnection I was talking about was a reference to him as well. I have some spots that he used to hunt. It gives me comfort to know I’m running around some of the same areas he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome write up, thanks for sharing and thank you for your service! Really impressed with the drive to get close to the game, feel like that is losing steam with modern day hunters. Find myself trying new things each year and last year was my first time in treestands which is a blast and a whole new challenge of its own. Good luck on the elk trip!

OP
bguitierez
Awesome write up, thanks for sharing and thank you for your service! Really impressed with the drive to get close to the game, feel like that is losing steam with modern day hunters. Find myself trying new things each year and last year was my first time in treestands which is a blast and a whole new challenge of its own. Good luck on the elk trip!

Yes I know what you mean. I see the guys in my generation. Sadly there’s lots of them that have a higher priority in looking and being cool. It’s all self serving of course. That leads to long rang shots for the cool video etc.

I like listening to the old heads who tel stories of running around with open sight 30/30 and getting as close as possible. Besides makes it easier to track down haha. Thank you for the kind words brother.

elkguide

WKR
What a sweet journey. Thanks for taking us a long.

Where do you think that the next road will take you?
I'm sure that it's going to make another great story/memory.

OP
bguitierez
What a sweet journey. Thanks for taking us a long.

Where do you think that the next road will take you?
I'm sure that it's going to make another great story/memory.

Well brother, the next journey is going to be in OTC archery elk hunting. In the middle of planning Idaho next year. Reading every book, listening to every story, and even studying ol Jacobsen’s elk 101. I’m looking forward to a very good and hard hunt. Of course I’ll still be running after mule deer haha. But that’s what’s next bro. It will be fun. Looking forward to the proverbial grip and grin with my 1st Spike Bull! Lol

its funny when guys tell a story and think they could be the only one, always remember "everyone has a story". Stories are history, they connect us to people like us, they sometimes help others, and sometimes they are just fun. Whatever the story its always good to share.
Very nice progression you have made. Big congrats and thanks for sharing.

Rodéo

WKR
Did you ever see that podcast when Aaron Snyder went through all the different kinds of hunting partners? Haha if you did see it which one are you? I’m probably the Prefontain.

Haha I haven't listened to that episode but I get the picture

jrm02

FNG
Great story, thanks for sharing. It's great to see another adult on-set hunter having success (and by the looks of it, you're having plenty of success). I really appreciate the attitude too; becoming a better hunter is the goal, and it appears you're more than willing to put in the work (and it clearly looks like it's paying off).

I too am an adult-onset big-game hunter. I grew up sporadically hunting rabbits and pheasants with my Dad/brothers, but it was a casual thing. I didn't really start big game hunting until my mid-20's, and I really started getting into it in my late 20's. In the last 7-8 years I've been trying to consume as much info as possible (podcasts, books, forums, quality YouTube videos). For me, it's about the adventure, experience, and hopefully some great tasting meat; don't get me wrong, I love big bucks/bulls as much as the next guy, but sometimes the trophy is more than the antlers/horns. Every time I go out, I'm looking to learn or try something new, and I fail more often than I care to admit; it's a process, but I'm slowly improving each trip/season.

Good luck this season!

OP
bguitierez
Great story, thanks for sharing. It's great to see another adult on-set hunter having success (and by the looks of it, you're having plenty of success). I really appreciate the attitude too; becoming a better hunter is the goal, and it appears you're more than willing to put in the work (and it clearly looks like it's paying off).

I too am an adult-onset big-game hunter. I grew up sporadically hunting rabbits and pheasants with my Dad/brothers, but it was a casual thing. I didn't really start big game hunting until my mid-20's, and I really started getting into it in my late 20's. In the last 7-8 years I've been trying to consume as much info as possible (podcasts, books, forums, quality YouTube videos). For me, it's about the adventure, experience, and hopefully some great tasting meat; don't get me wrong, I love big bucks/bulls as much as the next guy, but sometimes the trophy is more than the antlers/horns. Every time I go out, I'm looking to learn or try something new, and I fail more often than I care to admit; it's a process, but I'm slowly improving each trip/season.

Good luck this season!

You sound exactly like me brother! Haha. It’s kind of funny isn’t it? I suspect you’ve (like me) found something truly fulfilling and know others could greatly benefit, but then the feeling of wanting to keep it to yourself is also there! Lol. I appreciate the kind words and compliments bro. The best thing ever invented for guys like us are podcasts. They’ve opened my mind up to many many things that would have taken years to learn. If I’m successful it’s because I’ve hung on to every word people like Snyder and Warren. Now that I’m moving away from the novice phase, I seriously can’t imagine my life without the majesty of the mountains and everything we find in them. Dam, we’re some lucky people. Best of luck to you as well dude.

superjo

FNG
I grew up on an Indian reservation in Northeastern California. Childhood wasn’t conducive for an outdoors life.

But my grandpa (who didn’t live on the REZ) was from the old school. He was my hero. He was a veteran, drafted to the CA Angels but went to the Army instead. Came home and worked as a Correctional Officer until he died. He was the example of what a man should be. When I was 9 years old, my uncles came driving to his house with a buck strapped to the hood of the Jeep.

My grandpa must have sensed my interest. He turned to me and said, “Brandon, when you turn 10 I’m going to show you how to hunt deer.” I remember my excitement. I couldn’t wait to get into the mountains and come home with my papa with our own buck strapped to the hood. Sadly, papa died before I turned 10.

Life got real hard for me as he filled the roll of dad since mine was never around. Hunting was the last thing on my mind after that, because survival in a violent drug filled world took over.

I grew up and enlisted in the Marine Corps. I left home and didn’t come back until I was about 30. When I got back home I connect with an Indian girl from my Rez. We are still together today. She’s the love of my life and loves game meat! Good NDN girl! Haha she introduced me to Harold, her dad. When I met him, I remember seeing his trophy mule deer on the wall.

Looking at that huge mule deer buck triggered the emotional memory of my grandfather and his promise to me. I asked Harold to show me how to get started as a hunter. He gladly agreed, I took my hunters safety and set out on my 1st season with his rifle. What a disaster haha. I didn’t know crap about deer, their habits, and where to find them.

Looking back on it, I now see that Harold wanted me to experience the let down of failing in my own. I know he was testing my resolve. The next year I set out with him, and I haven’t looked back since. Harold is my dad and I owe him everything for exposing me to this life that I love so much.

With all of that being said, and with all the negative crap in the world right now, I thought it would be fun to go through a show and tell visual progression as an adult onset hunter. Perhaps some positivity can help out.

My journey as a hunter hasn’t been long, but it’s changed my life. Because of hunting, I live and love fuller now. The mountains have given me the mission I needed as a Vet, and a reconnection with my culture that I didn’t know (at the time) was missing. I’m proud of this heritage and happy to be a part of it. Enjoy ....

2015 1st Archery Buck/1st Buck

63 yard shot with the trusty Cabelas RTH PSE Stinger and full length arrows haha. Exactly zero tune on the bow or the arrows. Pure luck! My only Blacktail

f600be77d36ac9c2819f2284f21836a0.jpg

2016 2nd Archery Buck

By this time I started listening to the Gritty Bowmen and was introduced to Aaron Snyder. I learned about bow and arrow tuning, and the importance of animal behavior and technical gear.

70 yard double lung with a way better bow and tuned arrows. Not luck that time haha.

322967e86c2f6bcfebdddb5954ea179d.jpg

2017 1st Rifle Buck

As a hunter I’m living on a steady diet of Gritty, Snyder, John Dudley, and Rinella.

With a rifle I knew I could stretch it out, but my habit of trying to get closer overcame me. My 1st rifle buck was killed at 30 yards with a .270. I was becoming a better hunter.

370791d492d9e6608a716775297f8f6b.jpg

2018 1st Pronghorn
After many many missed opportunities and miles and miles of sprinting after these guys (old infantry habits are hard to break) I finally connected with my .243. 15 yards! Can you believe that!? Great great hunt with my best friend Troy.

cb66f04895d286e1ddd0b729f6ac1d1e.jpg

2019 2nd rifle buck

More improvements in gear and knowledge of animal behavior. My patience and confidence as a hunter got me on this beauty. 6.5 Creedmor at 50 yards. Even with a bang stick my spirit as a bow hunter is always wanting me to get closer.

dc35ec213042c672624b9b19da3ad068.jpg

2020 3rd Archery Buck

Completely changed my approach to hunting the Cascades. Used whitetail hunting tactics in scouting and hunting. I’m kind of hooked to the tree stand right now.

31 yard frontal. By now my skills as an archer and as a bow technician (not a pro yet) gave me supreme confidence in this shot. He dropped in his tracks. This was the 1st hunt I was able to find a buck I wanted in the scouting season and hunt him. My growth as a hunter has been so fun. I now know that this whole thing is about growing through learning. You gotta keep your ears open and listen to the guys that have already been there. I can’t wait for the next hunt.

Elk is next. My goal is a cow or a spike. If the 1st six years have shown me anything, it’s all about the progression. Because progression breeds appreciation.

86634d8b40c611f405cf48a4b7d55bf5.jpg

Awesome, thanks for sharing

Doodlebug76

Lil-Rokslider
Great Story! This should be published and go viral...... the world needs more positivity and encouragement and believe that it is possible even in the face of adversity, challenge and fear. Really appreciate you sharing for all of us and thank so much for your service to us all. Good luck in your many remaining years afield.

OP
bguitierez
Great Story! This should be published and go viral...... the world needs more positivity and encouragement and believe that it is possible even in the face of adversity, challenge and fear. Really appreciate you sharing for all of us and thank so much for your service to us all. Good luck in your many remaining years afield.

Hey man it’s my pleasure to have had a positive affect. I’m sure you agree the passion we have when we get into the mountains is contagious and the lessons learned for life are invaluable. As for getting my story out I appreciate the sentiment.