1st Alaska Hunt

I've been out on multiple island hunts multiple times, Nick and the others are right...it ain't rocket science...sometimes you just have to go for it. My one recommendation is to be prepared for the worst wind and rain you can imagine. We have 90 mph gusts on one of my first trips to the alpine in August- be prepared.

Jason,
There is one dynamic you should be aware of on some of these AK islands and Baranoff is one of them; Road access. My impression of that island is it gets hammered by weekend poachers....or in Alaskan terminology, guys just out having a good time shooting stuff. There are a few folks that have barged vehicles over there.

Tip; Find spots with little road access...oh, and shoot every porkie you see, that island is infested with them.

Thanks Beendare. Wow - 90 mph wind gusts! I think we'll be well insulated from other hunters. We're taking a float plane to Avoss Lake. My biggest concerns are the terrain, and bears.

I've been out on multiple island hunts multiple times, Nick and the others are right...it ain't rocket science...sometimes you just have to go for it. My one recommendation is to be prepared for the worst wind and rain you can imagine. We have 90 mph gusts on one of my first trips to the alpine in August- be prepared.

Jason,
There is one dynamic you should be aware of on some of these AK islands and Baranoff is one of them; Road access. My impression of that island is it gets hammered by weekend poachers....or in Alaskan terminology, guys just out having a good time shooting stuff. There are a few folks that have barged vehicles over there.

Tip; Find spots with little road access...oh, and shoot every porkie you see, that island is infested with them.

Beendare - excuse my ignorance - what's a porkie?!

Chugaglug

FNG
our first AK hunt was a DIY bear/Sitka combo on POW. I think black bear is a good first AK hunt as well. I wouldn't recommend combining Sitka and black bear because we got spread thin trying to hunt both and enjoy the fishing on the island as well. There are some great places on POW that will rent you a cabin/truck/boat all in one package. We've been back 6 times now for fishing, bear and Sitkas. We've stayed with Adventure Alaska SE out of Thorne Bay and Don Busse in Klawock, highly recommend both. POW is great because no worries about brown bear. If you want to do coastal black bear you need to plan 2 years ahead because of the way the draw system works...and then you need to pull a tag. POW spring bear tags are definitely not guaranteed draw. Deer of course are OTC so no need to plan more than about a year ahead if you want to book a cabin/rental truck. Meat is no big deal, sitkas are small enough you can get it all frozen into 50 pound fish boxes and Alaska airlines is super easy going about it. As long as you don't have long layovers it will stay just fine if it is frozen solid when you start your flying day. No special gear needed except high quality rain gear. SE Alaska terrain is incredibly steep, wet and brushy and destroys gear. Stainless rifle is a good idea. Lightweight tarp/spike camp setup is nice so you can stay up in the alpine if you are hunting early season. Early season be prepared to hike up to the alpine, it can be brutal. Late season deer can be pushed down lower. Mid season can be tough with deer in transition.

The Doob

FNG
Watching this thread intently. We are in the process of planning a 2020 seaduck hunt somewhere in Alaska
With the possession limit for the desirable ducks at 4, the probability of requiring the full 4 days of most outfitted trips seems small. Looking at a Kodiak combo that would include a shot at blackmail and maybe some fishing.
Problem becomes timing - most of what I have read pushed the seaduck hunting for prime birds back into December. A little late for deer and maybe outside the fishing. We are trying to find the sweet spot where it would all come together.
So like I indicated at the start, I will be watching this thread intently .

I would like to start planning an Alaskan hunt. I am probably a year or so out but would like to do this right. How soon should I start making plans for an Alaskan hunt? I would like to do a DIY hunt and I believe blacktail would be the best species to go after. This would also be the first trip that I would fly since I am coming from KY so meat transport/care is a big question I have. This also will not be my last hunt so what do I need to do for future hunts or other species? Anyone that can help answer some of these questions please reply or message me.

Thanks
Nathan
I happen to be doing this trip that you are asking about this year. While I don’t live in Kentucky, I do work in Carrollton, Kentucky (live in Texas). I started planning this trip 17 months in advance. I found that planning well in advance gives me time to get everything lined out, especially with work and all. Like one of the other post I suggest having an airlines rewards card. I booked my flight to Anchorage with my miles and was only out something like $20 in taxes. This will also be what pays for my flight caribou hunting next year. At least to Anchorage anyway. I won’t be shipping the meat, hide, or horns back to Texas. But to Kentucky where I’ll still working. The hunt I have booked is with Kodiak Sportsman’s Lodge out of Old Harbor. And for $3250 I didn’t feel was a bad price for a Blacktail, duck, and fishing trip. But if you would like to get together or PM after the hunt to find out about getting the meat back to Kentucky I’d be more than happy to help in any way.

I live here in Old Harbor (remote) on Kodiak Island somewhat remote year round. I haven’t hunted any where else here in Alaska other than Kodiak Island and Afognak island.
From listening to friends and clients that hunt elsewhere in the state it seems like a hassle from loading up rtvs, atvs, boats, camping gear, and dealing with crowds of people doing that same loading and unloading. Save up some money and do it right, come to where hunting is supposed to be like. No crowds, plenty of game, safe and dry place to rest, shower, and relax after eat day out. The ferry idea is ok in theory but what happens when you are out some where and can’t make it back for the ferry ride, the same could happen if you fly but with less to try and get back to the mainland.

Keep your head on a swivel!