1st Alaska Hunt

I would like to start planning an Alaskan hunt. I am probably a year or so out but would like to do this right. How soon should I start making plans for an Alaskan hunt? I would like to do a DIY hunt and I believe blacktail would be the best species to go after. This would also be the first trip that I would fly since I am coming from KY so meat transport/care is a big question I have. This also will not be my last hunt so what do I need to do for future hunts or other species? Anyone that can help answer some of these questions please reply or message me.

Thanks
Nathan

One fun option would be fly to anchorage, drive a rental car to catch a ferry to Kodiak, then an air transport to your favorite cove to hunt for a week or so.

Fly to Kodiak. Book flight to south end. Camp and shoot deer. Pretty simple really. Don’t overthink it.

If bears aren’t your thing. Fly to Ketchikan. Rent a truck. Buy groceries. Ferry to POW and day hunt the road system from a tent camp.

If that’s not your thing. Book a boat charter on Kodiak and day hunt while sleeping on a boat.

Learn how to take apart a deer and salvage meat.

Much better country to shoot deer on Kodiak than POW. Mostly open, easy to rifle hunt.

mcseal2

WKR
I'd add look into an Alaska Air credit card if you will be making multiple trips up there. The miles can really help cheapen up one of the more expensive parts of the hunt, airfare from home and back.

I'd look at dates and get your transporter lined up soon if you go to Kodiak. I have not yet been there, but my experience is the earlier the better when trying to get the dates you want booked with an AK transporter. My hunts so far have been booked 2 and 3 years in advance.

Abe Hendersens Alaska DIY Sitka guide can be really helpful. They cost a little money, but I think I saved enough to more than pay for itself on my first hunt on AK logistics advice. I hunted moose out of Bethel and still got info I could use from the Sitka guide.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to start planning an Alaskan hunt. I am probably a year or so out but would like to do this right. How soon should I start making plans for an Alaskan hunt? I would like to do a DIY hunt and I believe blacktail would be the best species to go after. This would also be the first trip that I would fly since I am coming from KY so meat transport/care is a big question I have. This also will not be my last hunt so what do I need to do for future hunts or other species? Anyone that can help answer some of these questions please reply or message me.

Thanks
Nathan

I am in the same boat as you...thinking that this would be a great idea for a first time Alaska hunt. Seems like it is affordable and manageable.

I'd look at dates and get your transporter lined up soon if you go to Kodiak. I have not yet been there, but my experience is the earlier the better when trying to get the dates you want booked with an AK transporter. My hunts so far have been booked 2 and 3 years in advance.

Unlike some other parts of the state, Kodiak is well served by a variety of quality transporters. No need to book 9 months in advance. On the other hand, if you want to use one of the DNR or Refuge cabins, those often do need to be booked well out.

If you haven't chartered a Beaver before, the price can be a little shocking. Helps if you can split it a few ways.

Otherwise, Nick's advice is pretty spot on I think. For Kodiak I don't mess with the ferry myself. That adds a several days of travel and the complications of a limited sailing schedule vs a simple and relatively cheap 40 min commercial flight from Anchorage.

A high lake on POW. Or a beach that you can climb into the alpine. You’ll want to go in August.

For Kodiak it’s not necessary unless you want to hunt in the early season.

Whether you are a first timer or a seasoned hunter, we cater to you. First, for the new hunter to Kodiak hiring a transporter who will share his years of hunting on the island like how to navigate the terrain to access the higher areas or give you heads up on a known bear area like salmon streams or beach combing area where they frequent for food. The transporter will also suggest gear that works. Then after your comfortable hunting on Kodiak, you could go solo on a flyout versus a daily transport out and back like we offer. For the folks who been there done that with the packing and lugging gear in and out of the field getting soaked and cold, we transport you out and back daily with hot meals, hot showers, secure meat shack etc.

Keep your head on a swivel!

OXN939

WKR
Killer advice on here- thanks for sharing, guys. I'll be doing a DIY Blacktail drop hunt on Kodiak in August, and will post a writeup with my experience. So far, it's one of the cheaper big game hunts I've done. To the guys who haven't done Alaska before, just be ready for truly biblical levels of bugs if you go early and a thorough test of your physical fitness.

There’s a service provided for a fee to guide you through a Kodiak Sitka Hunt? Now I’ve heard it all. Lol

I’m sure there are many on here willing to help you out for free, if desired.

LOL. Pay me $150 and I'll teach you the secrets to hunting black bear in the alpine along the Seward Highway.

I wouldn’t sell what I’ve learned for 10K. Let alone $150. It’s all out there for the taking, just requires a little ingenuity and hard work 😂

Headed to Baranof Island for my first ever deer hunt in early September. Will be following this thread and look forward to gleaning helpful information and advice.

Tight lines,
Jason in Dallas

Beendare

WKR
I've been out on multiple island hunts multiple times, Nick and the others are right...it ain't rocket science...sometimes you just have to go for it. My one recommendation is to be prepared for the worst wind and rain you can imagine. We have 90 mph gusts on one of my first trips to the alpine in August- be prepared.

Headed to Baranof Island for my first ever deer hunt in early September. Will be following this thread and look forward to gleaning helpful information and advice.

Tight lines,
Jason in Dallas
Jason,
There is one dynamic you should be aware of on some of these AK islands and Baranoff is one of them; Road access. My impression of that island is it gets hammered by weekend poachers....or in Alaskan terminology, guys just out having a good time shooting stuff. There are a few folks that have barged vehicles over there.

Tip; Find spots with little road access...oh, and shoot every porkie you see, that island is infested with them.