1st archery elk hunt

tntrker

WKR
I’ve just sealed the deal for a guided Montana elk hunt in 2022. I’ve been bow hunting for years for whitetails and I’m confident in my ability, what I need to know is what are some “extras” to take for the bow since I’m going to be “away” from a repair shop. I have not ever done any work on my past bows, always take them to “the shop”. I’ve read extra strings, 2 dozen arrows and “assorted parts”…. What are some extras ya’ll have taken with you?

Rob5589

WKR
I take a Bowmaster, some d-loop, serving thread, misc tools. I take a dozen broadhead ready arrows and maybe 6 bird arrows for grouse and such.

RMM

WKR
I would recommend watching some youtube videos on how to tie a D-Loop or serve a peep in. Its not hard and its valuable information especially in case of emergency. Definitely a set of allen wrenches. If you have an old rest or sight laying around, it wouldnt hurt to toss that in too. If nothing else go buy a whisker biscuit and a $30 sight. Cheap insurance to get you through a hunt.

Elkhntr08

WKR
You’ll take a whole lot more than you’ll ever use. I throw my archery box in the truck and it’s always stayed there.

Jbxl20

WKR
Bring an extra release, especially if you use a thumb release.
Definitely an extra release. I had an extra one with me but I left my thumb release lay when I was eating lunch this year in CO. Luckily I marked something close on ONx and I was able to hike back to the random spot in the woods and find it.

fatlander

WKR
Having an extra bow is easier than packing all the extra what ifs, and when fit hits the shan you don’t have to tune/sight in. Verify and keep hunting.

Echo the second release.

You don’t need two dozen arrows. One dozen is plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Having an extra bow is easier than packing all the extra what ifs, and when fit hits the shan you don’t have to tune/sight in. Verify and keep hunting.

Echo the second release.

I would agree on this COMPLETELY, but I DO NOT need another excuse to buy the V3X…😂

OR Archer

WKR

Echo the second release.

This right here. You’re spending a good chunk of change on this hunt. A second bow with a spare release will save you lots of downtime fixing your primary. Doesn’t have to be as fancy as your primary bow. Just needs to be reliable and accurate as your first.

Jbxl20

WKR
Something to cover the strings while your hiking or going through brush. I bought the kuiu kit after my first backcountry hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I keep a couple extra nocks in my pack, along with some d-loop material, serving, an extra QAD cord and allen wrench in case I need to change that out in the backcountry, and that's about it that I carry on me. But I keep 2-3 arrows in my bow case in the truck, an extra release, and the rest of the allen wrenches etc to do any work I need to.

Just a reference.

In a good number of trips I have seen more health insurance used than anything bow medic related. Infact, one guy chipped a tooth fighting his bow thru the brush. It caught on something, he turned around and yanked it, came free and busted him in the mouth.

You get frustrated after not seeing chit for days.

I have frequently traveled with a backup bow, have taken my regular press when traveling with a bigger group. Really haven't seen a problem I can recall, but I'd think one of the more likely scenarios is hitting a string or cable with a broadhead, which might cause more damage than just a string or cable replacement, so hard to plan for.

But lots of other problems, some being related to altitude, or being out of shape.

I have taken 2 dozen arrows, but they were mostly specifically for grouse or marmots.

Enjoy your trip, try to cover your bases, but hard to plan for a lot of things. Take as much extra cash as reasonable, that seems to help a lot.

Before I head out for a multi-day trip far from home or out of state I check to see what the closest archery shop is from the area I'm hunting. Sometimes bow issues aren't that simple to fix in the backcountry.