1st Arizona Coues Hunt 2021

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I are going on our 1st Arizona coues hunt in late December and just seeing if anyone has any tips besides bring your best glass and glass until your eyes bleed haha? Are the snakes out that time of year ? Clothing ? I hear cactus can be tuff on ya? Any helpful tips would be much appreciated!!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Check out Jay Scott Outdoors podcast, he has probably 100+ episodes on coues deer with some of the most knowledgeable people on the subject alive (including himself). All you could ever want to know is there! Have fun and a great hunt.

OP
DoubleDropMuley

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Jay Scott Outdoors podcast, he has probably 100+ episodes on coues deer with some of the most knowledgeable people on the subject alive (including himself). All you could ever want to know is there! Have fun and a great hunt.
👍 thanks!!!

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
What unit are you hunting? That’ll give us a better idea on how to answer. For example, in 35A snakes should not be an issue for that late hunt. Last year it dropped into the 20s for a couple of days.

Snakes shouldn’t be an issue but I’ve seen rattlers out in December down to the 30s. Don’t really worry about them to be honest.

Practice shooting at distance. Glass methodically; tripod is most helpful. Glass the same areas over and over an over. Very common for Coues to just appear out of

Can catch them in the open at first light but they’ll quickly head to shade. Then start picking apart every bush, shrub, tree, etc. Glass all day as you can often catch them while they get up to pee/poop, stretch their legs, and move to shade.

Dress in layers. Depending on your unit, the temperature range can be huge between night and day.

Bring a stool. Sitting pads suck here as there are many things that can easily poke through them.

If you are hunting one of the southern units, maintain situational awareness at all times. Despite what the news says, there is northbound traffic.

OP
DoubleDropMuley

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
What unit are you hunting? That’ll give us a better idea on how to answer. For example, in 35A snakes should not be an issue for that late hunt. Last year it dropped into the 20s for a couple of days.
Close ha , 35B is where we will Be!!

DMack

FNG
Sounds like a good time haha!!
I carry a leatherman every time I hike, scout and hunt here for this reason. I've had to sit down on a hillside many times and pluck out needles buried in my knee and calf.

Other than that, everything AZ_Hunter said is spot on. Plan for temps to avg hi 30s to 40s when you wake up and warm up quick when the sun crests to the 70s in the afternoon. Prone shots can be a challenge with the vegetation and terrain but not impossible. I got mine last year at 200 yds off hand standing on the side of a hill. You never know what opportunity you'll get so I would train for both. A glassing tripod is an absolute must.

If you're in a good spot at dawn you'll glass deer consistently and have activity at first, mostly doe for a hour or two before they start bedding. After all this activity dies down a lot of guys get bored, then hungry and tired and head back to camp mid to late morning for a meal and rest their eyes. Some of the biggest coues bucks I've ever seen were moving during this time.

Good luck! I love hunting coues, it can be a challenging and humbling experience but exciting. I hope you guys tag out.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is that they can be up and moving any time of day. I was out last year and was seeing bucks off and on all day long. I would spend a little time looking over a bunch of deer before deciding to make a play for one, unless you happen to run across a real whopper right off the bat. There are lots of Coues around (density wise) compared to muleys, so you will likely have many sightings.

I've hunted two seasons during third rifle and never seen a snake. Mostly seen lows in the 20s and highs in the high 60s, so it would be possible in the afternoons. Be prepared for it to get windy up high though! The poster that mentioned layers is spot on.

I'll also second what others said about tripods! It takes a lot of glass time, and tripods make it sooooo much easier.