1st bear hunt help

marshrat

FNG
I am a complete newb to bear hunting, but it is something that I've wanted to do for a long time. I've hardly any experience with guided hunts in general, but I was thinking about doing it for my first bear. I was thinking next spring or maybe even this fall if the time is right, but my question is this: would I be better off trying to draw a tag on public land and do it myself or should I go with an outfitter? If DIY, how do I start? What state is a little more DIY friendly for bears? If an outfitter, any recommendations? I have a guy in ID that I have been speaking with that run a small outfit for six days guided under $2K and there is a shot at wolves. Not sure what I should do, and this is all very new to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Come up to AK next spring, split the cost of a water taxi and we'll hunt bears together. Heck I'll even throw the coin toss so you're first shooter. :D

All that of course being said assuming you are wanting to go after black bears, if grizz then you'll have to find a guide, which I am far to selfish to do myself, but appauld those that are able to make a living doing it.

OP
M

marshrat

FNG
I wish I could, but at the moment, on a teacher's salary, that will be a little too far out of my way and price range. I will do it one day if the offer will stay open.

Idaho is a good state to hunt bears in. The price sounds fair that the outfitter is asking, if you can swing it. Montana has good bear hunting too. Either state is doable for a DIY hunt. The outfitter will save you some time, and speed up the learning curve.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I wish I could, but at the moment, on a teacher's salary, that will be a little too far out of my way and price range. I will do it one day if the offer will stay open.

You'd be still well under $2K counting airfare there and back and water taxi for a 7 days Alaskan black bear hunt.....just sayin