1st Bow

CO-AJ

WKR
I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing my 1st bow for just having fun shooting. I would say my budget would be in the 500-700 range and wanted to get some advice on favorite brands or what to look for when purchasing. Not sure if Hoyt, Oneida, Matthews, Bear, etc... would be best or if there is a better option. My thoughts are 70-80# with an arrow speed above 340-350 fps. But again, may not be right for a 1st time shooter.

You can't go wrong with any of those manufacturers, although I would pass on Oneida for a beginning bow. They are out of the mainstream and I'd shoot a more mainline bow before the Oneida. I have a Bowtech Carbon Knight and they are a great bow for the price. I would also avoid the speed bows as they are not very forgiving of shooting form errors, not to mention being more expensive. Archery is fun, whether you intend to hunt or not. Good shopping!

Keep your eyes peeled on Podium Archery EBay store.

You should be able to snag a NOS Elite Impulse for half (or less) of MSRP.

KBC

WKR
That’s a lot of weight and speed to start. A 60-70 set on the lower end would be better for a beginner. Even 55 lbs just starting out to get used to it would be better.

80lb bows aren't fun to shoot. Even 70lb bows with harsh draw cycles pretty miserable. You should be able to find a 2-3 year old bow from a mainline manufacturer in good condition that can produce 340fps+ arrow speed for the money you're looking at. I'm not going to recommend a specific brand since prefernces vary so widely. Shoot as many as you can, go with the one that feels the best to you, and you'll have fun shooting it.

Mackerel

FNG
Look for any of the older elite bows, 2017 or older. I still shoot a 2015 elite energy 35 for 3D. I shoot mine at 60# but as smooth as it is, I’d swear it was 45-50# at best compared to newer bows with harsher cams. The grip on older elites are what makes my heart throb for shooting. I know it’s totally subjective but even on the bows I’ve bought and wrapped my own grips, the standard grip on that bow is a dream come true. I know it sounds like I’m hyping Elite, but, IMO it’s a fantastic beginner bow because it’s so comfortable to shoot, as well as a great bow for experienced shooters. Disregarding everything I have said, find a reputable shop that you have a gut feeling with that you can trust and shoot everything you can until you find a bow that makes you happy. You’ll know when you shoot it!

Zac

WKR
Your speed expectations are ridiculous unless your shooting competitive 3D. I'd get Hoyt Power Max unless you have a draw length over 29 inches.

Northpark

WKR
I might recommend adding Prime bows to your options. I find mine very forgiving and a joy to shoot. Bows are subjective though. And I would give up any idea of speed. I will take a quiet accurate bow at 280fps over a speed demon any day. The quiet and slower bow will be a much more enjoyable shooting experience.

406unltd

WKR
Brands don’t matter as much as feel of the bow and your personal preference of feel that makes the bow comfortable to you. That much money will get you a decent used bow most likely. Make sure your arrows are spined correct for what you need. Hitting what you are aiming at is the reward and that step is important for reliable accuracy. Your local pro shop will help with setting the bow up for you and make sure your arrows are correct for your setup