1st Brown bear killed in Anchorage this year

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So the point is, Tree Huggers have emancipated hunting laws to forbid Brown/Grizzly bear hunting and now these are some of the results having these 10 foot maniacs in your backyard ?

I simply hate to have to say this. But, being I am the one responsible for my and my families well being, I frankly would consider this event an intrusion to the livelihood of my family and take immediate action of major force against this animal to protect my family, and or my livestock.

I rather pay a lawyer and face a judge with reasonable doubt then to pay a coroner to bury my loved ones.

The balance of nature is predicated on man balancing animal stocks. When you deter from the balance of nature, you get overgrown and the animals have no other choice but to fight amongst each other being rabid and enter into populated areas after losing turf fights.

Hunters need to organize in these areas with lawyers to defend people who have no choice but to defend themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off....it's Alaska and there are plenty of bears. Tree huggers aren't preventing bear hunting, but it's NOT going to be legal to hunt bears inside a municipality anywhere. The bears simply know there's easy food around town and they are habituated to trash, gardens, chickens, bird feeders, dog food, and anything else they can turn up. Typical bear stuff.

DLP wildlife killings are PERMISSIBLE inside Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. People kill bears for tearing up chicken coops, breaking into buildings or homes, threatening pets or people, etc. It happens every year and a substantial number of bears get taken out. People who don't want to do the killing can call ADFG and they will do the dirty work if a bear is causing problems. But no bear should be killed simply because it is living around people or wandering through a neighborhood....unless you're okay doing the same thing to cow moose.

First off....it's Alaska and there are plenty of bears. Tree huggers aren't preventing bear hunting, but it's NOT going to be legal to hunt bears inside a municipality anywhere. The bears simply know there's easy food around town and they are habituated to trash, gardens, chickens, bird feeders, dog food, and anything else they can turn up. Typical bear stuff.

DLP wildlife killings are PERMISSIBLE inside Anchorage, Fairbanks, etc. People kill bears for tearing up chicken coops, breaking into buildings or homes, threatening pets or people, etc. It happens every year and a substantial number of bears get taken out. People who don't want to do the killing can call ADFG and they will do the dirty work if a bear is causing problems. But no bear should be killed simply because it is living around people or wandering through a neighborhood....unless you're okay doing the same thing to cow moose.
Very well said. I don’t go up for two weeks, we’ve folks at the lodge, already have a couple of bears around camp. Just part of life.

So the point is, Tree Huggers have emancipated hunting laws to forbid Brown/Grizzly bear hunting and now these are some of the results having these 10 foot maniacs in your backyard ?

I simply hate to have to say this. But, being I am the one responsible for my and my families well being, I frankly would consider this event an intrusion to the livelihood of my family and take immediate action of major force against this animal to protect my family, and or my livestock.

I rather pay a lawyer and face a judge with reasonable doubt then to pay a coroner to bury my loved ones.

The balance of nature is predicated on man balancing animal stocks. When you deter from the balance of nature, you get overgrown and the animals have no other choice but to fight amongst each other being rabid and enter into populated areas after losing turf fights.

Hunters need to organize in these areas with lawyers to defend people who have no choice but to defend themselves.

Easy there Honcho! Its Alaska, ain't no tree huggers shutting down bear hunting up here. If you shot a bear for being in your yard the troopers would shake your hand and say good job!

To the OP, I didn't realize how many bears they killed in the municipality in 2018. 41, that's crazy!

My Aunt and uncle lived up on Hillside and had bears frequently around their place. It was a known hazard, and walking alone was a no-no. Glad that there are still enough bears around, and enough wild places for most of them to hide.

OP
AK Troutbum
To the OP, I didn't realize how many bears they killed in the municipality in 2018. 41, that's crazy!
Yeah, and according to the ADFG’s latest count, there are an estimated 55-65 brown bears in the municipality of Anchorage (info from another site). So, 55-65 brownies from Eklutna to Girdwood, and 41, that they know about, were killed last year. According to my math, that leaves about 14-24 (not including any new cubs born over the winter). We had 3 different brown bears, that I actually saw, come through our front yard last summer. So, my take from all this is, a fairly decent % of the entire population of brown bears in the entire Anchorage muni came through our front yard last year. Since the municipality covers almost 2,000 mi.² and our front yard might total 0.000001 % of that (probably an exaggeration of the size of our front yard), well let’s just say, I’m totally blown away right now. What are the chances?

In any event, our place is at the end of the road, plane or boat from there. Guests will often want to go for an after dinner walk back towards town. I send a couple of dogs and an 870 with them and yes spray.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Easy there Honcho! Its Alaska, ain't no tree huggers shutting down bear hunting up here. If you shot a bear for being in your yard the troopers would shake your hand and say good job!

I was under the impression that bear hunting was cut back ?

If not, I stand to be corrected and applaud Alaska hunters for keeping it real.

Could I have confused it with Canada.

It was B.C. that shut down their grizzly hunt...Wyoming also had some tug of war going on...definitely wide open in AK, with the exception of national parks and a few small state closures...

Nick Jans isn’t my favorite guy politically but his theory is shooting bears drops the age class, the younger bears face less competition, the population increases and human/bear interference increases.

Merc

FNG
Ain't no reason to shoot a neighbor taking a stroll through the neighborhood.
5fe0738cbc4f3e0021858063d6dc6c6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk