1st CO Archery Elk hunt

cmenard01

FNG
Like most of us hunters, you have had your hunt planned for a year or maybe more. My father in law and myself committed last September. Got our guide, gear, mental and physical fitness together. Our plan was to come out to the mesa for a western adventure of horsebacking , camping at 9k , and enjoying the life of the rockies. Unfortunately, my father in law was infected with COVID in August. Though he is better he decided not to risk anyone else and I respect that.

I arrived in Grand Junction on Tuesday and I head up on Friday for 7 days. Though I'm really excited about the adventure, I keep hearing or reading conflicting reports. No matter what happens. Elk or no elk, it still will be a good time. I would like to bring home some meat to share with my father in law but we will see what happens. I'll try to post as much as I can assuming signal is even with in range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
Your timing is perfect. Just left that area and they were starting to get vocal. Warm weather slowed them some towards the end of last week.

OP
cmenard01

cmenard01

FNG
Thanks for the encouragement and am looking forward to the chase. Did you have any luck?

FLS

WKR
Called in a smaller bull the first morning, but switching thermals got me busted. Found a stud and chased him the rest of the week. Got closea couple of times but just couldn’t seal the deal. Lots of bears.
What unit are you in?

OP
cmenard01

cmenard01

FNG
Ill be in 41 around 9k feet. Supposed to be unmotorized part. Happy to hear lots of bears as I have a tag for that as well.

wsking

FNG
Sorry that your father in law couldn't join you on the adventure. Best of luck on the hunt!

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck and be sure to report how you did. Me and a buddy are planning our first trip for next september