1st Dall Sheep Hunt - Need Advice

USMC-40

WKR
I have hunted the MT Unlimiteds 3 times (all unsuccessful) and have been saving for my first Dall sheep hunt that I booked and made payments on for the last couple years. I will say that this year, MT was hard on me - torn ACL/MCL/meniscus/quad while on the hunt (which explains more than normal pain during the hunt). So I am coming off ACL replacement/reconstructive knee surgery - the hunt is in August and I chose Mont Mahoney as the outfitter. My question is, Mont picked up a couple new areas in the Wrangells (he has guided in the Alaska Range previously). Sounds like the areas in the Wrangells have been outfitter free for a couple years (no guides in there), he has outfitter exclusivity on all areas. I have the option on where to go - what do I do? I’m not afraid of any physical aspects, but I do worry a little about my knee, as I am 7.5 weeks out of surgery, and building a good base back up will prove challenging. What area should I choose? Need some help...

To give advice I would need to know a few things. Who was outfitters prior to him getting area? What was their success rates? Horses or stock use for your hunt? All backpack hunt from airstrip? South or North Wrangells? Are you wanting advice for your potential physical limitations due to surgery? Or which area of his to go into? Are you up for hiring an additional packer for your hunt to ease some of the physical limitations you may have?

The Wrangells are on a steady population of sheep and a lot of good rams are coming out of there recently. I personally would be a little concerned with this being a new area for this operation. Did he guide hunters in there with the other registered guide back when it was outfitted with the other company? If he did I would pick area he is most familiar with and insist on him or another guide that has been in the area. The Wrangells are the most rugged of our Mtn ranges in Alaska for sheep. The north side being less than the south (I believe you are in the north Wrangells as I know Ultima Thule has 3 of the 4 south Wrangells concessions and Kelly Verm has the other).

With you hunting the unlimiteds in Montana I don’t think you have anything to worry about physical abilities but I understand your concerns after your surgery. If you heal to 90-95 percent you will have no issues physically. You know the mental game which is just as important as the physical side of it.

It honestly sounds like you have plenty of years prior experience in the sheep mtns and I don’t think you are going to have issues. Bottom line my concerns would be with the outfitters and the new area they are into.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Get the info on the unit in the Wrangells and call the nice folks at Alaska game and fish. They will have the info on harvest statistics like # of rams, age of rams, etc. and population objectives. Not outfitted is a lot different than not hunted. If the harvest has been steady for the last 10 years, probably no issues. If it has spiked the last few, that would be more reason for concern.

Then PM some of the posters on the slide (two of the ones above would be good) and get their take on the area and who else to talk to.

If you are a Huntinfool member, a chat with Austin Atkinson would be good. Even if you are not a member, it's worth a call. He guides for Mont Mahoney's outfit.

Then talk with Mont and find out his take. Find out if he knows who has been in there, and what the game plan would be.

Likely, you will be good in either location. Have fun, take it easy on recovery on the knee. Don't rush it, you have plenty of time to heal and train.

Jeremy

bradb

WKR
As far as the knee I think you will be fine IF no set backs and not know specifics. I have 3 acl's, the last re do reconstruction went super easy. I had torn meniscus last fall on my sheep hunt and made it through it fine. You will be 8-9 months post op and really should be about as close to 100% as you ever will be.

I've never met Mont, but I've been on the ground in his sheep area in the Alaska Range. It was a decent looking spot and very remote, but not some kind of super secret honey hole. With multiple airstrips in the valley, I'm sure he gets traffic from residents and other guides there too. The plus side is that he should know it well at this point, which is about 9/10ths of success with sheep hunting.

Without knowing where in the Wrangells he picked up concessions, the internet isn't going to be able to help much. It's a huge range with a lot of variability.

Ray

WKR
Looks like NPS is awarding new hunting concession contracts for the next decade. Should have been awarded this month, but no news listed or updates posted on the NPS site. Their hunting concession list has not been updated since 2018. Mont is not listed on the NPS site.

My guess, is that Mont may have been given temporary use of the old Ptarmigan Lake Lodge concession on the North East side. If I recall correctly, Urban had to forfeit the concession due to the guys working for him being convicted of illegal guiding.

Looks like NPS is awarding new hunting concession contracts for the next decade. Should have been awarded this month, but no news listed or updates posted on the NPS site. Their hunting concession list has not been updated since 2018. Mont is not listed on the NPS site.

My guess, is that Mont may have been given temporary use of the old Ptarmigan Lake Lodge concession on the North East side. If I recall correctly, Urban had to forfeit the concession due to the guys working for him being convicted of illegal guiding.

That was my guess as well. And if that is the case I’d probably stay down in the Alaska Range in the Denali Preserve federal land concession he has been outfitting in for 2020. Could potential be a lot harder in 2021 and future years for non residents to hunt in GMU 19c and 20a.

With the new AK Board of Game proposal being reviewed this March I would not be surprised if the Board of Game acts on the proposal that limits non residents to a total of 50 drawing permits in GMU 19c and 20a starting in 2021 no matter what outfitters operating in these GMU’s have promised future clients.

Last edited:

Mont was awarded and is the new Concession holder for the Ptarmigan Lake and Chisana Glacier concessions.

Mont's old AK range area, just outside the Preserve never has held large rams. If you're looking for the potential at a better ram, I'd start drilling him on his new concession. Get the stats on if he is keeping any of the older guides that used to work out of Ptarmigan Lake / Chisana Area.

DoubleBroomed,
I thought I heard mention that Vrem's sold out to another outfitter from the Brook's?

You flying into Fairbanks? What is your hunt dates out of curiosity?

If you are staying a day over in Fairbanks I would suggest getting lodging soon. If you are a retiree from the USMC we have two military bases here in Fairbanks that have good lodging as well.