1st deer of my life in CA D6

?????no clue!

Essentially, the map posted above is probably the most accurate there is. However, according to B&C, it is 100% mule deer. Not that I agree, there is definitely hybridization in the Sierras. There’s likely been millions of arguments about whether deer in the Sierras are full black tails or mule deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There are also some subspiecies not on that map. Including the coastal mule deer which I’ve hunted.

It’s a touchy subject for some guys and causes a lot of online arguments haha.

Congratulations. Your perseverance and persistence rewarded you. If it was easy everyone would do it. But they don't. Also, in the light or the dark you are the apex predator. Forest animals should and do fear you. Make plenty of noise at night if you get scared; they will get out of your way. (Exceptions of course are grizzly bears and wolves. Neither of which are in California.)

JohnnyB

WKR
Nice job! Just got home a few minutes ago from a solid day bow hiking in d5. You are entitled to be very proud of taking an archery buck in any d zone. My observation so far is that there are a ton of non outdoors people enjoying the outdoors this year. Every wilderness trailhead is jammed with Subaru’s.

Rich M

WKR
I couldn't read the post on my phone, came out as one huge paragraph.

Looked at Pic and title. That's an excellent buck. Congratulations. Beautiful deer.

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! I think you’ll find it easier going forward. Once you start being able to see deer it becomes easier and easier. The more stalks you make the better you get. A level of quiet and stillness that seems impossible now becomes second nature.
There’s nothing there in the dark that isn’t there in the daylight. Black bears are not usually aggressive. Same with lions. All bets are off in grizzly bear country ! I’ve hiked in the dark in grizzly country and it’s just not relaxing.
Learn to relax while hiking in the dark and you may find you like it better. I do. You can’t look up and see just how far and steep the trek is at night. If the way isn’t too rough I like to turn the lamp off. It’s just you and the little world you can see in your lamp. One foot in front of the other and you’re there.
Build your confidence and you might like solo hunting. It’s another thing I like but I’m a natural loner.

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations. So much of being a successful hunter is having a positive mental attitude. Don’t sweat the predators, they are more afraid of you than you are them!

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
fantastic story and thank you for sharing. Major congrats on getting your deer. Those backstraps are going to awesome. The harder the hunt the better they taste.

TheGDog

WKR
It's a High you're gonna be chasing now forever! Congratulations man! And your first was Bow too, kick ass!

And yeah.. f*ck... life gets serious as hell the moment you rise to your feet with an entire buck's worth of meat in your pack along with everything else and miles to go to get back to your vehicle.

Badseed

WKR
Congratulations. I am pretty sure I know the area you are describing and yes it is a very tough and physically challenging area but there are certainly bucks up there. Its all about how much effort you put into the hunt that makes it so rewarding to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk