1st gun for 12 year old

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
OK guys, the big 12 year birthday is coming up for my son, so time to finish the project. I have elected to go with a Tikka T3 and now am selecting the scope to mount. I am liking the idea of a Leupold VX-2 2x7. I am wondering about the ability of the scope in the early and late hours, and open to other recommendations. Thanks for the reply.

Shrek

WKR
There is not a lot of light gathering there. I'm a big eye fan myself but a 3-9x40 is a lot more scope for 1.3 oz.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would get a 3-9x40 also. I have always liked Leupold and that is all I'm using right now. The Vortex scopes are really nice too.

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, surprised by the strong bias toward the 3x9. I was thinking more of the bulk than the weight savings for the 2x7 to get to an easy carry mountain rifle.

Thanks for the input!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I like a Savage 7-08 and 2-7 for a new shooter. 3-9s work well also, but the super wide 2x can help a new shooter get on target when they are excited.

Shrek

WKR
If you have dark timber or creek bottoms the small objective will cripple your golden hour hunting. My advice is the best glass you can afford with the largest objective you can stand to carry. I've never heard of some one complain that their sight picture was too bright and clear so they couldn't make out if it was an animal they wanted to take but I have heard of plenty of times when there was plenty of legal light left but had to pass on the shot because they couldn't be sure. I think a 3-9x40 is a good compromise. The guys who sing the praise of the 2-7x33 rarely hunt dark timber.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
My vote is for 3.5-10X40 VXIII. Even like the 4.5-14's better. More money, better scope. IMO.

slvrslngr

WKR
I'd consider a 30-06 shooting Remingtons reduced recoil loads to start. As he gets older, he can work up to the full power loads. Even the lowest power loads are plenty for deer and even elk at reasonable ranges and good shot placement.

7-08 ... but not in a Tikka for short action. Agree on the scope though... vx2 2-7x33... or vx3 2.5-8

unm1136

WKR
Just got my 13 year old daughter a T/C Encore in .260 Remington with a Nikon 3x9 BDC scope. Hoping to get to the range this month and see how she likes it...

pat

Vern400

WKR
If you're that concerned about poor light an illuminated reticle makes more difference. I'm on stand now with my Leupold 2x7 and I can usually see to shoot past legal light. And if the moon is strong I can see then too. The larger problem is when the target is dark colored the reticle disappears. I have 3x9x40 also Leupold and a number of more powerful scopes. But down low in timber I'll take 2 power any day. Take the power up 50% and you aren't going to fare any better with 30% bigger objective lens. Speaking of 3x9x40. They're both good scopes and I'm biased towards Leupold. I sent in my favorite scope I banged up to be checked. I told them I fell and banged the scope. I got a handwritten note saying "Thanks for using Leupold scopes" and a signature. And a new one rolled up in a pretty green towely thing. My business is theirs as long as their stuff works.

If you're that concerned about poor light an illuminated reticle makes more difference. I'm on stand now with my Leupold 2x7 and I can usually see to shoot past legal light. And if the moon is strong I can see then too. The larger problem is when the target is dark colored the reticle disappears. I have 3x9x40 also Leupold and a number of more powerful scopes. But down low in timber I'll take 2 power any day. Take the power up 50% and you aren't going to fare any better with 30% bigger objective lens. Speaking of 3x9x40. They're both good scopes and I'm biased towards Leupold. I sent in my favorite scope I banged up to be checked. I told them I fell and banged the scope. I got a handwritten note saying "Thanks for using Leupold scopes" and a signature. And a new one rolled up in a pretty green towely thing. My business is theirs as long as their stuff works.

Thread is from 2013, I think the guy already has his rifle and scope decision made...