1st gun for 12 year old

WKR
The thread title says "1st gun." I believe the best answer is always a .22, preferably a single shot.

Not a high power rifle. When he can shoot a .22 well and has killed some small game cleanly then we can talk about high power rifles and hunting something larger.

I know this thread is from 2013. My answer is less for the OP and more for all the people that responded and mentioned some variety of high power rifle as the best choice for a kid's "1st gun."

Last edited:

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
The thread title says "1st gun." I believe the best answer is always a .22, preferably a single shot.

Not a high power rifle. When he can shoot a .22 well and has killed some small game cleanly then we can talk about high power rifles and hunting something larger.

I know this thread is from 2013. My answer is less for the OP and more for all the people that responded and mentioned some variety of high power rifle as the best choice for a kid's "1st gun."
For hunting, the 6.5 Grendel is compelling as a first gun for a youth. Hardly any recoil, so they can develop good shooting habits and they can go hunt with it at shorter distances out to about 200 yards. Plus, that mini action Howa is lightweight, so easier for them to lug around.