1st Hunt: Chasing Coastal Elk with a Bow

First things first, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Brad and I'm a new hunter but a fairly dedicated outdoorsman. I am 34 years old, in very good shape with no health conditions. I've spent at least 1 day a week on average in the coastal mountains or on the bays. Some years much more. Over the years I've encountered lots of elk. From huge herds to lone trophy bulls.

For the last year or so, I've had my mind set on harvesting one for my family. Over the last 2 months I have become obsessed. I've spent a shameful amount of time e scouting and have seen tons of fresh sign with my own eyes recently. I've been practicing shooting and calling daily and feel very confident up to 35 yards out. Although my calling could definitely use improvement.

I am hunting two elk heavy units. I have several promising spots either scouted by foot or marked off on OnX to check out throughout the season. I plan to arrive before light Saturday and start in on trails I've mapped in thick timber around the edges of clearcuts. I'm physically and mentally prepared to hike as many miles as it takes to get a shot on an elk.

With all that said, I know the odds are strongly stacked against me.

I have a few questions and I'd love to hear the opinions of some of the experienced knowledgeable hunters here.

Question 1: Should I avoid calling until I get a bit better? My cow calling is passable but my bugling is inconsistent.

Question 2: I've read that spikes are much easier to call and shoot than older bulls. Should I use a strategy more focused on bagging a spike?

Thanks a ton for reading this and sorry for such a long first post. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Wishing everyone luck on Saturday!

Last edited:
Sounds like your odds, are better than the average.

Spikes are just as curious as any other elk, they’re just not as suspicious.

I’d suggest using your cow calls and just get a bugle sound down that works...doesn’t need to be perfect.

OP
S
Sounds like your odds, are better than the average.

Spikes are just as curious as any other elk, they’re just not as suspicious.

I’d suggest using your cow calls and just get a bugle sound down that works...doesn’t need to be perfect.

Thank you, Sir! Any bit of encouragement goes a long way. I'll focus on cow calling and keep it short and sweet with the bugling.

TX_Diver

WKR
Download the elknut app. Great way to spend $10 and up your knowledge/calling a bit.

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the Elk101 course as well. Bugle's don't need to be great, my buddies sounds like a chicken being raped but elk will come into it. Don't necessarily focus on spikes or big bulls, whatever you call in try and shoot, simple as that :) You've done your homework which is good, I like your chances of at least having encounters, maybe not killing one, but enough encounters will lead to a shot.

OP
S
Buy the Elk101 course as well. Bugle's don't need to be great, my buddies sounds like a chicken being raped but elk will come into it. Don't necessarily focus on spikes or big bulls, whatever you call in try and shoot, simple as that :) You've done your homework which is good, I like your chances of at least having encounters, maybe not killing one, but enough encounters will lead to a shot.

I feel a little better about my calling now. 😂 Thank you! I will keep my eyes and ears open for whatever comes my way. I expect to struggle this year but I'm looking at it as a learning experience.

OP
S
Just sit and watch them. Your brain will automatically tell you how to kill one.

Listen to that little voice in your gut.

Trust it blindly

I think I know what you mean. I've studied elk like a madman but I feel like my gut has led me to the right locations lately. I will keep my gut in mind! Thank you sir!

TX_Diver

WKR
Elk101 is great too but this late in the game I'm not sure you'll get the full value out of it. It also covers A LOT of info from e-scouting to packing them out. It's a good one to get in spring and work through all summer.

OP
S
Elk101 is great too but this late in the game I'm not sure you'll get the full value out of it. It also covers A LOT of info from e-scouting to packing them out. It's a good one to get in spring and work through all summer.

Colorado and Oregon both put out elk and deer online courses. Colorado's elk university sounds pretty similar. Super in depth and thorough. I've been absorbing that material like it was fresh air on a sinking ship but I think you're right about needing more time to digest it all.