1st Kifaru Pack!

Agustus

FNG
First, a thank you to the many posts on this site with pictures of these packs to help me make a decision on a pack.....

Second.... this was a TOUGH decision for me to make. I'm normally very decisive person by nature, but was I waffering back and forth on packs so much it was driving me crazy. I ended up getting a late season with the 24" composite stays, a grab-it, and a couple belt pouches. I am still unsure I ordered the right pack though. I was going back and forth between the late season and the T3. I don't need the duplex frame and don't plan to be switching out bags....

I literally placed the order and then though, "did I order the right pack?"

It really cannot be this tough to order a backpack right?

If you have any suggestions or recommendations to a greenie, please pass them along.
Rick

Agustus,

You are right, it is a tough decision to make. There are literally dozens of backpacks and lumbar packs out there with a wide variety of designs and features so it can definitely be mind boggling. But, to answer your question (in two parts), I wouldn't worry about your order.

Part One: If over time you decide you should have gotten a different pack (Kifaru or other maker) you shouldn't have much trouble finding a buyer for your slightly used Late Season.

Part Two: When I have to make this kind of decision, on a pack or other big piece of gear, I normally try to decide what features I want and how I plan to use it. Once I know that I can remove a big part of the candidates because they either don't have the features I want or won't work the way I want to use it. Then it is just a matter of personal preference, cost, delivery time, etc.

Hope this helps,

Larry

Solo Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rick-
I ordered the same pack as you did and am very happy with it. Mine has the 24" composite stays and is in highlander. I too got a grab it and some extra pouches. So far I have only used it for dayhunting/scouting. I am putting together some ultralight items working on 3-4 days out/2-3 nights and I think it will do very nicely. Greg

OP
A

Agustus

FNG
Larry,

Thanks for the boost of confidence. Several days ago, I was on a T3 kick and before that a late season and back and forth many times. For me, I thought the late season with the bigger main compartment bag, would be better for me as predominately an archery whitetail hunter with the occasional western hunt thrown in. My only concern is the lack of organization that some mention with the late season??

Hope this isn't a problem

OP
A

Agustus

FNG
Greg,

Many thanks. If you don't mind sharing what pouches you went with, I would be interested hearing how you like the configuration?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Augustus, any Kifaru pack that fits your needs is a good decision. Many people will buy ten packs that are not made by Kifaru before the realize that Kifaru is the top of the food chain. Hope you get some blood on that soon....

Solo Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I got two top zip long side pockets and two each medium and small belt pouches. It adds alot of capacity with the long side pockets up to about 4700cu (pack and two long side pockets) then another 400cu with the medium belt pouches brings it all up around 5100cu. I really have not had need to use all the pockets together yet. I have run the long side pockets with the pack and mediums on the packbag smalls on the waistbelt but not all of them at the same time yet. I like it a lot. There is always a trade off. I typically wont take a larger pack(because i will fill it up) and having this smaller one with the options works well for me. If I were to order over again I may leave out the small pockets they don't hold much. I would highly recommend the long side pockets and medium belt pouches/grab it though. Greg