1st MT elk gun?

I am a fan of the Tikka. I have shot one, but don't own one. I do have a lot of experience with Sako. Having said that, 308 wouldn't be my first choice for elk, but it will do the job fine as long as you aren't trying to stretch the distance too far. If I were buying new today for an elk/MD combo, the 6.8 Western is worth a look. 3.5-10x40 and away you go. Good luck!

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My advice on guns would be try to shoulder them and pick the one that feels like the most natural extension of you if that makes any sense. I have a tikka t3 in a 25-06 and the gun shoots great but lacks character. I have a cz 550 in a laminate stock 308 and if it didn’t weight #12 + it would go everywhere with me and it has that uniqueness at deer camp that makes you grin a little when you see it hung up with all the other Tupperware. I understand the reasoning behind the synthetic but wood just has soul and every ding/scratch tells a story. Any medium/large caliber with modern bullets will do the job if you do yours in reasonable distances. Good luck with the quest.

madcalfe

WKR
id do a tikka t3 lite cut and thread barrel at 20"
that should give you 2850-2900fps with a 180gr pill
good enough for elk out to 650yards if you desire.

BjornF16

WKR
308 more than capable beyond 300 yds…155 scenars (search web for “Deceased via scenar pix please”). Roll your own or buy Lapua factory ammo.

I’m thinking 168 TMK would be equally lethal out to 1800 FPS.

18” to 24” barrel depending upon how far you want to reach. For max portability with can go 18” and let bullet velocity set your max lethal range.

Buy a Tikka lite and have barrel cut to your desired length.

I would say tikka t3x in stainless or savage storm, the value on these guns is just too high. Get a vx3 3.5-10 and you’ll be good to go. The caliber debate is an endless bickering session. Pick one and practice a lot with it. The money you save from this combo for ammo and scouting trips.

Sled

WKR
I run mostly Tikka rifles because I love the action and accuracy. Over the recent years my barrels have become shorter and all are threaded for suppressors. I've just started to build off the Tikka action but I'm already impressed with it compared to the rem actions. I'm even a fan of the factory built in rail with sports match rings. Saves me weight and money.

As for scope, I've run a lot of vortex 4-16 scopes and more recently tract toric 3-15. I'm very happy with the weight and features of the toric. Only complaint was the zero stop had to come out to reach the distances I like to shoot.

Jjmayes83

FNG
I have an older savage model 11 lightweight hunter 20 inch barrel wood stock accu trigger 5.5 pounds under 7 pounds with scope(leupold vx3L 3.5 to 10 x 50) +rings and sling. Tac driver and I shoot 450 yds no problem with hornady match 150g at whitetail mind you but still knocks them down quickly. Plus there's much better ammo out there.I just baught within the last year 3 new lightweights from savage for my son, my wife and i. I baught him the 110 lightweight storm for 650.00 in 308 and me the 110 ultralight in 6.5 cuz i have a .308 already. And the wife 110 ultralight in 308 for 1300 each. Great prices.The storm is lighter by a bit at 5.6 compared to 5.8 for the ultralight. But all of them are shooting moa to sub moa consistently at 100 and I love them they are comfortable light very adjustable. The storm is lop adjustable with a 20in barrel. The ultralights are lop and comb height adjustable and have threaded 22 inch barrels. All sub 7 pounds with talley rings and leupold vx3hd 3.5-10x40 on all. (Son and wife are new hunters my son thought it would be cool to have matching everything). I prefer the original not because its better just like the wood stock. I would put the savages up against any other production rifle on the market. shot Tikka nice guns prefer savage had a kimber it was like lightning never hit the same area twice. Sent it back found nothing wrong . Returned it to me it turned into thunder made noise never seen a bullet hole. So whats everyone love about these other brands that savage is never brought up?

So whats everyone love about these other brands that savage is never brought up?
Every savage I’ve ever been around has been crazy accurate. People just don’t like that the action is rough. And some people don’t like the triggers

Jjmayes83

FNG
Every savage I’ve ever been around has been crazy accurate. People just don’t like that the action is rough. And some people don’t like the triggers
They are a bit sticky when new but all of mine work great once used and broken in a bit which ill take all day on any gun if its that accurate especially for price plus you can always upgrade and still spend less then other comparable rifles and be just as, if not more accurate(personal opinion) . And I love the triggers I've actually never met someone in person that had anything bad to say about them. I mean I know there's better but I always thought for a stock trigger it was pretty good. But this is why I love the internet you can get personal opinions and great (or really shitty) info/advice from some pretty smart people. Its gonna make me really really pay attention to the trigger at the range next time.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
Go look on 24hourcampfire and see how many big animals were taken w/ the .308 and a 155gr Scenar. There's a long thread about it, and it should take any doubt away about the effectiveness of a .308. Your caliber choice is fine, in my opinion. I've owned and shot most of your list, and you can't really go wrong.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a weatherby fan so don’t overlook those, great rifles and in your budget. My dad picked up a begara last year and it’s a great option too at under $1k they’d both leave you lots of money for glass and ammo. Or reloading equipment and learn to load your own and save even more

kkp005

WKR
For that budget it would be hard to beat a tikka veil and Vx5hd..
I have this setup in 308 and it shoots EVERYTHING under 1”