1st Mule Deer Colorado

dpaine84

FNG
Heading to Colorado from South Texas in October for my first Mule deer hunt. I drew a 2nd rifle antlered tag for unit 77, 771, 78. I have been e scouting some areas so far and wen there once before. Last time I was in the area I hunted Elk and did not come up with an animal, but saw more mule deer than elk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not asking for spots just general info. I will be accompanied by a coupe buddies who want to experience Colorado. We plan on setting up camp near the truck and would like to be about 9500 feet. I have done the backpack in thing and it was definitely an experience. I was just figuring with deer we should try to locate and close the distance but I may be waaaay off. Thanks for any input and good luck to everyone this year.

Good luck on your hunt. Im from the Houston area and will be heading to those same units for my first mule deer hunt as well. We're going in mid september for archery season.

Teedubb

FNG
Since your planning on setting up camp near the truck it would be useful to find a series of high glassing areas near road access. Try to have as many options as you can. You could set up, have each of your buddies glassing different spots in the area, and then if you aren’t finding anything easily pack up and move to the next planned spot. Eventually when one of you does spot one you can regroup, plan a down wind approach, and make a shot. Good luck!

2nd season has lots of hunters..get away from the roads and you should have a good chance at filling your tag

Heading to Colorado from South Texas in October for my first Mule deer hunt. I drew a 2nd rifle antlered tag for unit 77, 771, 78. I have been e scouting some areas so far and wen there once before. Last time I was in the area I hunted Elk and did not come up with an animal, but saw more mule deer than elk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not asking for spots just general info. I will be accompanied by a coupe buddies who want to experience Colorado. We plan on setting up camp near the truck and would like to be about 9500 feet. I have done the backpack in thing and it was definitely an experience. I was just figuring with deer we should try to locate and close the distance but I may be waaaay off. Thanks for any input and good luck to everyone this year.

How did hunt turn out ?