1st NL hunt

I had no idea, it's a road hunting experience. Drove around for 5 days in a pickup truck, or quad... looking for Moose.. A lot of local pressure, and ran into a lot of locals also hunting from pickup trucks with elevated platforms in the bed. All public land. Very very different than hunting at home.

Didn't need rain gear too much, as the pickup truck kept us dry.

It was a drive in outfitter. Maybe next time, I'll try a Fly in..

Trial153

WKR
All to common. Inam sorry to hear you didnt enjoy it.
I had a similar experience for my first bowhunt there years ago. I ended up hunting on my own while my guide waited and glassed from the truck. He about shit himself when I walked him into the place of the small bull I killed near the end of the hunt.

Since then I have done fly hunts in each time, and had totally opposite experiences.
I am heading out this week for a woodland caribou/moose hunt. My dad has moose tag as well.

OP
Short Track
How does a fly in hunt work? Do you hunt from a Argo ? or 4x4 ? or sit ? Call?

Seems the drive in outfitters love to cover as much ground as possible by driving around. We had to do at least 200 miles off roading over the entire week.

and then when we came across a local, we backed out, and went another way. But there were tire tracks all over. I saw 3 locals gutting a moose..... is about all the Moose I saw .

Trial153

WKR
I would think some places use Argo or four wheelers. However I avoid them.
Where we hunt has no motorized vehicles allowed. We use boats and then strike on foot. Calling, glassing and spot and stalk. Same as every bowhunt for moose I have done in Canada and Alaska.

OP
Short Track
Most guys who can afford this stuff are older, and about retired. Getting bounced around in a quad all day probably isn't the best idea... At least half of the camp was over 70 years old... with hearing aids. I might try a fly in next time, but I understand your limited with gear...

I've had a similar experience to yours. There are outfitters who just go though the motions of hunting, taking you out driving around in a truck looking for a moose. Careful who you spend your money with. I've also learned my lesson the hard way.

Trial153

WKR
If you can get a reservation and you budget isnt tight....after you park at the ferry ...take walk and eat at the lobster pound and more.
eaec7f9b39b21598d551987452b680da.jpg
7bc0f04a3f9e177a4032f5ef31437c84.jpg