1st or 2nd Week Rifle for Eastern Colorado mulies?

What have you guys experienced with the 2 different weeks? Pros and Cons? I am also wondering what role the rut plays when hunting the plains. I have a couple hunts narrowed down thanks to your feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't think the rut really wouldn't come into play for 1st and 2nd weeks. Outside of that can't really offer an opinion for Eastern CO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

joelbiltz

WKR
A very very good friend that guides in Eastern Colorado a lot recommended the last 5-6 days of the first hunt. (Not the December hunt). It worked to perfection this fall. He said in his experience the bigger bucks are starting to act more rutty. I found and killed this buck within four hours of my first day on Oct 31. He was tending ten does lip curling and chasing off four smaller bucks. BFE6A881-FAF7-4C95-B7A4-B11D944DEC75.jpeg26CFF9D9-DA9A-4CBD-979E-3A753BE1F625.jpeg

Last edited:

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
A very very good friend that guides ECO a lot recommended the last 5-6 days of the first hunt. (Not the December hunt). It worked to perfection this fall. He said in his experience the bigger bucks are starting to act more rutty. I found and killed this buck within four hours of my first day on Oct 31. He was tending ten does lip curling and chasing off four smaller bucks. View attachment 137526View attachment 137527
Shows my ignorance, didn't realize season differences between plains and Western. I'll show myself out. Great buck by the way!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
JasonDawes
Wow! Great deer. Nice and heavy and I guess that is the appeal for them Colorado bucks. Any chance you could PM me to answer a few questions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I shot a 25-inch wide, 159-inch buck on October 31 this year. He def had a rutting smell to him - stinky even. We had a strong cold snap, so it might have started things.

We saw a half rack (antler broke off) whitetail that was rutting (grunting up a storm & pestering 3 does) and found a big bodied 8 pt that got nailed by a truck. The whitetail were full-on rut at that time.

You'll find the late season permits harder to get - at least in the area I was in.

danarnold

WKR
4b49390046b08ea89c6e0fb5be87a823.jpg

October 23
One week before I saw 6 bucks in the same area still bachelor group, thought it’d be a slam dunk when my tag was valid... didn’t see anything until I found this guy