1st or 4th Week of September, CO Elk

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
After understanding point creep meant I wouldn't be drawing a coveted unit in my lifetime, I decided to use my few points to draw a limited archery tag in a NW CO unit that is OTC for gun season and appears to get heavy muzzle loader pressure. I am guessing many hunters on this site have a good idea the units I am hunting. This is my first elk hunt, so just seeing some elk will be a success. I only have a week to hunt and have to choose between the 1st week of September and the last week of the season due to my work schedule. The 1st week will give me a few extra days off of work as I will be able to leave at the end of the last week in August.

I have been leaning toward the last week as it should be peak rut. However, the 1st week would give me the opportunity to hunt before the muzzle loader hunters have pressured the area and I am wondering if having a few days extra would be of greater benefit than hunting peak rut. So, am I better off hunting early or waiting until the end of the month? Thank you.

Personally I am very excited for that last week of September. That being said it is my first year hunting CO, but in my home state I would kill for that week!

OP
W

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I will give the first week a try with a couple more days to hunt. Will calling work or should I plan to glass a lot in the morning and evening?

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, calling can work early season. Does this mean learning your basic cow mew & bugle, not really, most hunters can accomplish this & still come home empty handed. The ElkNut Mobile App will cover Early Season Tactics as well as Solo Tactics, you may want to consider it so you can start your practicing now to polish up any Sequence you may find that can work for you & the situation you may encounter.

There's also sitting water sources, active game trails, escape routes, etc.

The App will give you a leg up on the competition, it will help you to understand why you're using specific sounds & the message you are sending to the elk. Elk hunting/Calling is like anything else in this world, you will get out of it what you put into it! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul

Listen to Elknut. He has the best info on what the elk are saying and what to say back to them. Most other people show you an exciting hunt and throw in a few tips on calling. He gives you what you need to know about calling elk

I know my area, I know it well, better than most. I can kill an elk in there any week I want I mention that for the following reasons.

First week, is all about ambush. Be it waterholes, trails, etc. Expect little if any bugling. That may be different this year as we will be into September the first week. My point is the first week is good if you know the area. I would hate to hunt a unit the first week if I knew nothing about it. It can be hard. Also, the days are long, with most hunting done early and late. The rest of the day it will be hot, and boring.

The last week, yes the elk have been pressured, but when you can find elk you can hunt elk. This year the season will end pretty deep into September. If I had no knowledge of the unit, I'd go the last week. Worst comes to worse, you just walk until you hear elk. The days should be cooler, and you can hear elk bugling from their beds mid day.

Have fun.

^^^ Great advice.

The first week is great if you can scout all summer and know exactly what you are doing.

If you are new to elk hunting and a new area the first week can be tough. Peak rut is a lot better in this situation. Personally in CO I like the 3rd week best even though it overlaps with muzzy. I have never seen a muzzy hunter in all the years I bowhunted CO. The 2nd week would be good for calling and less pressured elk. You ng bulls will come in eager. I usually see the biggest bulls the last week. They are vocal, but are tough to call in , as they are herded up and educated.

I learned a lot from ElkNut/Paul on how to call elk. Listen to his stuff.

Any way you can change your work schedule? 2 weeks would be perfect 🤪

Last edited:

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Well I’ve hunted 1st week WY and it was lights out bugling and 3rd week Colorado during the “rut” and it was basically silent. That’s my extent. Based on that I would hunt whatever week you can devote the most time to being in the woods.

Don't think you can't call bulls your way early September. And some may come in screaming. As mentioned, check out Paul's stuff, and put it to use. ;)

jpitt777

FNG
What’s the best approach to try and learn to call for the first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, calling can work early season. Does this mean learning your basic cow mew & bugle, not really, most hunters can accomplish this & still come home empty handed. The ElkNut Mobile App will cover Early Season Tactics as well as Solo Tactics, you may want to consider it so you can start your practicing now to polish up any Sequence you may find that can work for you & the situation you may encounter.

There's also sitting water sources, active game trails, escape routes, etc.

The App will give you a leg up on the competition, it will help you to understand why you're using specific sounds & the message you are sending to the elk. Elk hunting/Calling is like anything else in this world, you will get out of it what you put into it! Good Luck!

ElkNut/Paul
All right, you sold me. Downloading now.