1st rifle for a buddy. T3x? Alternatives?

tdot

WKR
A friend has come to me, asking to help him get into hunting. He's never shot a rifle. So we have to start from ground zero.

And he's a lefty. I dont know another lefty, so we can't borrow rifles.

My thoughts are a 22lr to teach fundamentals and to practice. I suggested a cz457, but apparently they arent made in LH.

He's set on a 1 hunting rifle setup, (he might actually stick to that) we'll hunt everything from Mule deer, black bear, and in a few years he'll be joining on Elk and Moose hunts. Grizzly protection is a constant requirement where we hunt. We'll backpack in 75% of the time. But as this is his first rifle, I dont think a super light rifle is a good idea, so staying away from Kimber, etc.

With the current run on guns and ammo, choices have become very limited in the last month.

I was recommending a Tikka T3X in 308 or 6.5cm. But we havent found one yet. I'm not that familiar with quality rifles at that price point. What are my other options?

What are your suggestions? Both caliber and rifle models I should be looking at.

I’d stick with the Tikka in 6.5... but don’t overlook the Bergara options. I have an HMR that shoots fantastic, and I’ve heard great things about their other guns as well.

Might also consider Howa in that price range as well.

6.5, 308, 7-08 are all good options with a good amount of factory ammo availability.

TxxAgg

WKR
A Tikka T3x or Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500) in 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, or 308 would all be great choices

TxxAgg

WKR
I'm also very partial to CZ 557 if he wants a traditional walnut/blued gun.

270 is my personal starter rifle. You can shoot everything from a yote to a elk and more. It's flat shooting easy to find shells. As far as what gun I like browning because it fits me well. My brother likes tikka so pick a gun he likes and go with it.

wyosam

WKR
Tikka or a-bolt, in the 6.5 CM, 7-08, or 308. In the current market, if he wants to get started just buy whichever is available first. As a new shooter/hunter the range he will(or should) be comfortable at shooting game won’t know the difference between any of those. Quality bullets in the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
A friend has come to me, asking to help him get into hunting. He's never shot a rifle. So we have to start from ground zero.

And he's a lefty. I dont know another lefty, so we can't borrow rifles.

My thoughts are a 22lr to teach fundamentals and to practice. I suggested a cz457, but apparently they arent made in LH.

He's set on a 1 hunting rifle setup, (he might actually stick to that) we'll hunt everything from Mule deer, black bear, and in a few years he'll be joining on Elk and Moose hunts. Grizzly protection is a constant requirement where we hunt. We'll backpack in 75% of the time. But as this is his first rifle, I dont think a super light rifle is a good idea, so staying away from Kimber, etc.

With the current run on guns and ammo, choices have become very limited in the last month.

I was recommending a Tikka T3X in 308 or 6.5cm. But we havent found one yet. I'm not that familiar with quality rifles at that price point. What are my other options?

What are your suggestions? Both caliber and rifle models I should be looking at.

You're on the right track with the .22 trainer to instill good fundamentals. Be sure not to give up what you gain there with a rifle that is unpleasant to shoot.

I took a friend to Alaska for Caribou three years ago in a very similar situation. He assured me that he was ready to go, and I was deployed til a week before the hunt so was unable to verify this in person. We get up to run a last minute range 5 days out from leaving and the guy couldn't hit an 8" plate at 100 yards prone off a bipod. GoPro video later revealed that his eyes were closed for three frames before the rifle actually went off, even though he claimed the recoil didn't bother him. This was shooting a Remington 700 in .270.

For this reason, I'd go 6.5 CM. .308s in light rifles can have snappy recoil, and there's not much in the lower 48 that you can't cook up a good load for.

Paraiso

FNG
I'm a big Tikka fan. I'm my opinion they are hard to beat for the money. I think you are making him a good recommendation. Teach him the fundamentals and make sure he knows and understands his setup and all will work out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

HogHeaven

FNG
I bought my first two 6.5cm rifles this week while working from home. The cabin fever has me shopping online like never before. That said, I found a new Tikka t3x lite for $470 and a Remington 700 sps with heavy barrel for $450. I'll shoot both when they come in and keep the one I like most.

3sdad

FNG
Start with your right handed guns. You can shoot a right handed bolt rifle left handed. If he's never shot a gun, he'll have nothing to compare it to. Might save him the future headache of finding left handed rifles. My brother is left handed and has only had one left handed bolt rifle and has since sold it. He just dealt with the right handed guns as we grew up and got used to it. When he finally got a left hand bolt gun he was used to packing the rifle on his right shoulder so the new left handed bolt would ride his hip. As for rifles, it is hard to beat the t3x. I would maybe suggest 7mm08 over the 6.5 if he's recoil sensitive as you can get reduced loads for the 08. Not sure if you can for the 6.5. Good luckl

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Does he like the idea of a lever action? The Henry Long Ranger comes in 6.5 Creed & 308 Win, with iron sights or without, plus it's American made if that interest's him. If he likes old school there is the Savage 99 as well or the Browning BLR if he want's another new option.

My son turned out to be a lefty & the rifle I had set up for him is a right handed bolt action before he showed signs( should have waited till I put it together). I decided to just let him learn off my 30-30 pump action & lever gun's till I buy him something just for him.

Have you thought about using a 30-06 or 7mm RM & just having him shoot reduced loads while he's getting used to it? Gives you the option to have better ammo for larger game like bear & moose. Should be more left handed bolt actions out there in 30-06 than other cartridges if that's the route he wants to go.

Ruger has several left hand options available.

Hard to beat a Ruger American for a first rifle.
Most shoot very well out of the box and it comes with a rail so scope mounting is a snap. It’s easy to add 2 lengths of aluminum arrow with some epoxy to the forearm and tune the trigger down to a crisp 2.5lbs and make it shoot bugholes.
Best bang you can get for $300

I think you’re on the right track I recently kitted my BIL up with his first firearms and went with:

10/22
Weatherby vanguard/vx3i

The tikkas have a little better bolt feel and better trigger timing, the weatherby looked tremendously better with gloss wood and blued metal. Either were IMO well suited and the best factory rifles available without a monstrous price tag we went with the best deal.

I’d say a t3x in 6.5 CM would be a phenomenal rifle

h2so4

WKR
Why not an AR? Get a 22 lr to start. Then a 223 the a 6.5. You could use same optic on all uppers. I do t know if the ar based in 6.5 is a moose gun, but at that point just get a new gun.