1st Rifle Season Colorado Weather

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This makes the 3rd season in a row that I will have hunted the 1st Rifle Season in Colorado. The last 2 seasons we have had record snow and cold weather during our hunts. My question for my fellow Roksliders is what's your guess about this years weather report for that week. We have had a very wet spring in the east and a lot of snow out west, or so I've heard. Therefore, for those of you that have lived out there a few years, what is early fall like when you have had a big snowpack during the previous winter like we just had. Obviously, I know that this is a guess, but just thought I could get some bites on what you'll think about the weather this fall.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I’d say warmer than you’d want it to be. But as the altitude increases there’s always the possibility of cold weather and snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I'm hoping for highs in the 50's and lows in the teens at 10k-11k. If we get snow in our area like last year we will have to move to plan B.

2 years ago we had 7 days of bluebird skies with overnight lows in the low teens at 10,000.

A friend went to the same place last year and had feet of snow and pretty harsh weather all week.

I guess the moral of that story is to have a plan B and the gear to span difference?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This makes the 3rd season in a row that I will have hunted the 1st Rifle Season in Colorado. The last 2 seasons we have had record snow and cold weather during our hunts.

"Record snow"???? Where were you hunting? I don't remember anything unusual about the last two year's first seasons. In 1984 we got over 3 feet of snow in one night that Monday after opening weekend, and I'm not even sure that was a record. I haven't heard of anything remotely close to that the last two first seasons anywhere in the state.

"Record snow"???? Where were you hunting? I don't remember anything unusual about the last two year's first seasons. In 1984 we got over 3 feet of snow in one night that Monday after opening weekend, and I'm not even sure that was a record. I haven't heard of anything remotely close to that the last two first seasons anywhere in the state.

Yea, there was a lot more snow in early October last year than the previous few.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yea, there was a lot more snow in early October last year than the previous few.

That's not saying much though. The past couple decades haven't been anywhere near what I would call average.......hunting in t-shirts in October.

Even at home here, people have been talking about what a great winter we had for snow. Ya, we got about 20" this year which is definitely better than the 5" average we've seen the last several years, but the historical average is closer to 41". So we're nowhere near "normal".

davsco

WKR
i just remember that monday of first season last year was the coldest for that day in recorded history. that was f'n cold! i certainly wouldn't mind warmer weather this october, and less precip, some of those roads went to total crap real fast.

This is the 1981-2010 average October snowfall from NOAA.
3d64e7c29397ca24d5a42af9d50ab37f.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR

I was hunting 1st rifle last year in the San Juan’s and it was thigh deep snow.

Flip a coin. Last year was colder than "normal", but seriously it can be anywhere from negative temperatures to 75 degrees. No joke. Just be prepared for all scenarios not only elk wise, but also clothing and camp wise. Good luck!

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hoping for highs in the 60s to 70s and lows in the 30s and 40s bluebird sky’s and not a thought of snow for first rifle add 10 to 20 degrees for my archery hunt. Those are my hopes I rarely get what I hope for though.

I think you can have either. I got snow last year during 1st season when I took my cow. But in other years it could have been “hot”. Just play it by ear and keep track of the 10-14 day forecast.

Jimss

WKR
Depends on the elevation you'll be at? Near timberline just about anything can happen.....and snow is a definite possibility during the first season. If hunting low elevation in a drier location you likely won't have any precip. LongWayAround's post above reflects this. I usually prepare for the worse. The first big snow can sometimes push elk off some of the higher peaks.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Yeah, it wasn't record snow but I thought the last couple of seasons had some record cold temps. Nevertheless, what I was really looking for was educated guesses from old timers or from someone that studies the almanac. Seems and though we had those cold temps. after very warm and dry summers. El Nino or La Nina seasons may be more telling. Since we're having wet and a cooler spring as well as a long winter, I thought that we might be having a warmer October for 1st season. Obviously, I understand that we are just playing around like the various meteorologists on TV, so your educated guesses can't be any worse than theirs.

PS. I can't tell you where we hunt unless you want to die. :eek:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I remember first season in 1990 we had a good amount of snow and my thermometer froze solid at -15 and stayed that way. Two years later in 1992 daytime highs were in the 80's, and I spent more time playing golf and fly fishing that season than I did hunting. I did shoot a nice 4x4 buck, but it was so hot and dry it was hard to even get close to the elk that year. The last several years of drought we've had very mild first seasons.

Back in the 80's we'd get great snow amounts all winter, good spring moisture, rain all summer, and then good snow in October with normal cold. You just don't know what you're going to get from one year to the next these days.

njdoxie

WKR
Where I hunt in So CO, camping at 8500 ft and hunting up to timberline, it has been warm, occasional dusting of snow, barely getting below freezing, sounds like we’re hunting different planets