1st tag: MT General Elk - Solo too risky?

I just found out I drew my 1st ever elk tag: Big Game Combo in MT. Now that I have my first tag I figure I can officially join the discussion. I'm gonna do a DIY hunt, was thinking solo, but making my 1st ever Western hunt a solo hunt in potential grizzly country with 2 young kids has me thinking twice.

I'm curious what people think: If you were in my position, would you just try to find a unit where there are no grizzlies? Or try to find/partner up with someone else looking to do their 1st DIY elk hunt in MT this year? Nobody I know personally has a tag, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regarding potentially partnering up, this would just be a safety thing. Wouldn't have to shadow one another around, but maybe if someone is gonna be in the same general area/unit we could share information/resources and up our odds while also watching each others' backs?

Thanks for any thoughts.

huntnful

WKR
Man, I'd just go solo in non grizz country. Then you don't have to worry about somebody else's schedule or agenda. I hunt solo a lot, for those two reasons. But I don't blame you for not wanting to hunt solo in grizz country. We saw like 20 of those bruisers in Alaska and they are next level predators.

OP
I
Man, I'd just go solo in non grizz country. Then you don't have to worry about somebody else's schedule or agenda. I hunt solo a lot, for those two reasons. But I don't blame you for not wanting to hunt solo in grizz country. We saw like 20 of those bruisers in Alaska and they are next level predators.
Thank you for the advice! That makes sense.

Werty

WKR
I just found out I drew my 1st ever elk tag: Big Game Combo in MT. Now that I have my first tag I figure I can officially join the discussion. I'm gonna do a DIY hunt, was thinking solo, but making my 1st ever Western hunt a solo hunt in potential grizzly country with 2 young kids has me thinking twice.

I'm curious what people think: If you were in my position, would you just try to find a unit where there are no grizzlies? Or try to find/partner up with someone else looking to do their 1st DIY elk hunt in MT this year? Nobody I know personally has a tag, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regarding potentially partnering up, this would just be a safety thing. Wouldn't have to shadow one another around, but maybe if someone is gonna be in the same general area/unit we could share information/resources and up our odds while also watching each others' backs?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Where and when are you going. PM me with details. I tell ya what I know.

OP
I
Where and when are you going. PM me with details. I tell ya what I know.
Thanks for your reply! I'm brand new so I don't think I can use the PM function yet. As far as area goes, I really don't even know yet. Just now starting to think about the trip now that the tag is "official." SW seems out due to Grizzlies--unless I could partner up with someone. Since I have a Big Game Combo tag, I'd like to find a portion of the state that has mule deer, elk, and no grizzlies. That might be a tall order but I'm sure I could find some units with some research.

If your already concerned and worried about Grizzlies then I think your not going to enjoy the hunt much. I hunt solo in Grizz country every year I have seen a few be smart and keep a clean camp and especially aware after downing an animal and you well be fine! Pretty hard to find an area in Montana that is Grizz free these day's other than the breaks.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you have little to no bear (black or grizzly) experience, find a griz free unit and enjoy your hunt. Most of the state is grizzly free outside of the rare mating season sighting in the spring. There is a lot of state to hunt with minimal griz presence.

You're going to be learning elk hunting and bears are just another thing you don't want to have to worry about. In all honesty, they aren't hard to avoid or minimize issues with them, but it will be in the back of your mind.

Jeremy

OP
I
If you have little to no bear (black or grizzly) experience, find a griz free unit and enjoy your hunt. Most of the state is grizzly free outside of the rare mating season sighting in the spring. There is a lot of state to hunt with minimal griz presence.

You're going to be learning elk hunting and bears are just another thing you don't want to have to worry about. In all honesty, they aren't hard to avoid or minimize issues with them, but it will be in the back of your mind.

Jeremy
That makes sense. Much appreciated!

I wouldn’t hesitate at all. Montana general elk was one of my first western hunts as well, solo in grizzly country. If you are already concerned about bears and not a ton of woods/hunting experience just pick a unit without grizz. Most of Montana doesn’t have high concentrations of them. Feel free to PM me any specific questions, I’ll be out there all September.

Thanks for any thoughts.
There really are no hunting districts in Montana these days where you can hunt antlered elk on a general tag where there are no grizzlies, or where there is a 0% chance of them being in the district somewhere when you are there. You can still hunt in grizzly country, just need to adjust your behaviors (keep a clean camp and don’t be sneaking around in thick brush or during twilight hours, among other things) and you’ll be OK. You can’t totally make it risk free since you’ll be out there when the bears are out, but you can mitigate most of the risk.

This map is pretty accurate
20210111_MayBePresent_GB%20map_website.jpg

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
Are you saying that you’re taking two young kids with you? That changes everything imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tradchef

WKR
To me you just need to keep eyes out. Bears, Wolf, Cats and people. As long as you are aware don't let it scare you. If you haven't had any experience out here before id say split up some time in a non grizz area and then try a couple days in one. It's a chance you take out in some of these areas that's for sure. I hunt solo 99% of the time and hunt in lots of grizz areas down in Big Sky and around Hebgen. I see them a lot...not gonna lie. But i see the rest of the list I wrote you as well. If it's something that is making you question your hunt change areas. If you think you can hang in......there's tons of places to go without them. PM me if you want to if you are heading over this way. I can help you with some grizz free areas if need be. But honestly, just do what's comfortable for you and just enjoy being out here.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to bring along two young kids on the hunt? Or just that you have two young kids and don't want to get eaten by a grizzly?

If it's your first hunt and you're thinking of having two young kids along, then that may not be the greatest idea.

But if you're hunting solo, go for it. Plenty of places to hunt in MT without the big bears. I'm sure there's lots of good advice on here about hunting in grizzly country too. Be aware and know what their tracks and scat look like. If you do kill, dealing with packing meat and coming back to the carcass are the bigger issues really. Last time I hunted MT in country that had a few grizzly, we didn't see any and didn't have any problem with meat/carcass. Plenty of black bears though, so you have know how to hunt around them too.

Smada962

FNG
I'm in the same boat, and possibly interested in teaming up. I'll send you a PM but looks like I need 10 posts first.