1st Time Archery Elk ... Max Distance

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my slider fixed at 50 yards...all the time. It has a 2nd pin at 63 yards. That's my max and anything under that I hold under and practice doing so often. I have a slider so I can practice longer yardage.

With that said, the bulls I have shot have been at 4, 10, 25 & 42 yards. The two mule deer I shot have ironically been at 60 & 63 yards. Haven't had to fiddle with my sight one time for the last 6 critters.

Whatever you are comfortable with under extreme fatigue and stress. Im going to guess that 90 yards will be more like 60 when you add in all of those stresses.

tuk

FNG
This will b my first year archery as well i have decided on a hard 40 yards. I do the same with my rifle. I know i can hit much farther than what i make my limit at. But always variables. But i still won’t take that shot farther than my max.

bozeman

WKR
First year = 40......just a general rule of thumb for me.....best of luck to you this year and be safe!!

CoStick

WKR
Weather , wind , lighting, finding an elk in an open space to 90 yards has not been my experience, 90 feet is more like it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Things will happen super quick, and likely many highs and lows prior to the shot…..how many animals have you shot with your bow, what is your success percentage on your shots, what is your fitness level, will you be running and gunning or wallow sitting, what is the country like heavy vegetation, super steep, wide open flats, so many variables come into play for each of us…only you can decide what variables will not let you be 100% sure of a kill when the arrow is released…as noted above the equipment will shoot much better than most are capable…good luck and enjoy the hunt🤙