1st Time CO Antelope

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I have been fascinated by antelope since I was a kid (10 or younger) when I saw my first one on a trip to Yellowstone. 20 years later I want to make this hunt happen. My question, is there any chance of drawing a tag in a decent unit in Colorado without any points?

I do have 1 Wyoming point. Should I try for that instead?

I am not looking for unit specifics, just general question on if that scenario is possible

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Odds are the better the unit in terms of numbers / access / genetics the more points you will need to draw a preferred hunt, typically rifle. If you go for archery it drops a few points, but most of your OTC archery hunts will be limited access / low numbers.

If you want to do a rifle tag with low points and have a higher success your best bet will be a ranch tag. Otherwise you'll be waiting. Others will chime in.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
My fascination with antelope grew similarly as you. I use to be fascinated by them when we traveled out west from the midwest to visit family. Your other option is to look for vouchers. I’m sure a simple web search could turn up a few. These hunts would be unguided, but would buy you permission via a kill permit plus access to a ranchers land when you buy his or her vouchers. I know Colorado and Wyoming has them and could be a key to unlocking a better unit.

cnelk

WKR
Wyoming - for sure. Especially with your 1 PP.
Do some research and you'll draw a tag - or two - or three

jolemons

WKR
You can buy a leftover permit in WY and keep banking your points for a better unit. This will allow you to hunt each year snd gain experience for when you cash in your points. I can't speak for CO

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great idea!

Any idea where I could find the leftover list from last year? I would like to fly into Denver and drive up so I am curious if some of the southern units had availability

cnelk

WKR
You're' going to more than disappointed if you rely on a leftover tag - especially in the southern WY antelope areas that are near Denver.

Like I said above, you have 1 PP, do about 15 min of research and you'll find something to be sure to go hunt this fall, possibly up to 3 tags

Last edited:
OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Will do, really appreciate the help! I am waiting till next month to renew GoHunt; just gathering a little info before lol

Skip Colorado, been hunting here a long time, have killed antelope but its way different than WY.

Tip......... Go to WY DOW site https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2019-Drawing-Odds pull up last years draw odds. Have it open and scroll down to areas that 1 point gets you in 100%. Either keep it open, or just write the unit numbers down.

Next go to ONXmaps website https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt-app?gc..._AGGkknoL7G2EDX5MlPgs1_R3rmH9zJxoCXocQAvD_BwE and start a 7 day trial. Enable Wyoming, then the government lands and walk ins. Since you have one point, look just east of I-25 and maybe slightly West but mostly East. Look at major paved roads that cross the yellow. Find some decent sized areas, or just lots of areas where a public road crosses yellow and you're set.

I'd prefer more small yellow areas crossing roads than one or two big areas. It gives you more options. Once you narrow that down, if you can find yellow next to private, or pivot circles, you're more than set. There will be antelope just get there and enjoy it. Try to pick some doe tags up too, and you can leave with 3 antelope in just a couple days if you wanted. I used to hunt with my kids up there using this method, and for a rifle hunt, try to keep your barrel cool ha ha!

Example of road going into yellow. Guarantee there are antelope there and I've never been there before.

Attachments

• wy.JPG
    wy.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 27

jolemons

WKR
You're' going to more than disappointed if you rely on a leftover tag - especially in the southern WY antelope areas that are near Denver.

Like I said above, you have 1 PP, do about 15 min of research and you'll find something to be sure to go hunt this fall, possibly up to 3 tags
I've killed multiple antelope with Wyoming leftover tags, just do your research. They publish the list sometime late summer after the draw. I focus on areas around Gillette.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
mylsuhat

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff, Covey!

I have an OnX elite membership and will definitely be using those tips to hone in on a unit and narrow down some blocks