1st time draw and 1st time success on archery elk in NM.

Mzzy

FNG
Well my 1st time ever applying for a tag ended in my 1st time success. I was able to get it done on the very last afternoon of my 7 day hunt. Me and my guide worked our butts off for 7 straight days running all over the mountains chasing bulls with several close encounters but never able to close the deal. On my final hunt this beautiful frame 6x6 came to water at 20yds broadside. However, it wouldn't be that easy because as I drew back my felt on my rest had shifted and the arrow squealed the whole way back spooking the bull. Luckily, he stopped broadside at 45yds but of course there was a tree covering all vitals so I'm stuck at full draw for almost 2 full minutes until he finally looks away so I can let down. He then moves to a gap between trees that allowed for a shot, except this time he is quartering away and I could tell he was about to take off. Still at 45yds, I shoot a little back to play the angle and as he's running off my arrow is sticking out the opposite side about 18in and its sticking out right behind the front shoulder. Now comes the stress, because we give it 30-45min and go look for blood and there is hardly any to be found. After tracking it for about 60-75yds with just specs of blood he stops running and we find our biggest spot of blood which was only about the size of a baseball. We continue to track it for another 15yd and lose blood all together and now he is walking. After looking for another 10mins with no blood we decide to back out and go get help which takes awhile because the ranger ride one way is about 1.5hrs, so after getting back to camp and getting help and returning to the spot about 5hrs have passed since taking the shot. At this time it is now dark and we still aren't finding blood, so I just start walking in the direction I felt like he took. It was at this point I could smell elk but didn't see anything so I'm shining my light out in front of me and I catch a glisten from an eyeball. I ended up shining it a few times to make sure that was what I was seeing and so without saying a word I ease around the trees to see if I could confirm what was there. As I shined my light around, I found the rear of the body and just slowly followed it to the head where I could see that he was for sure dead. Now, after collecting my excitement I announced to my search party that I had found him. I had to hold back tears as the pure emotion just took over because of how hard we worked all week and I was finally able to accomplish something I've wanted to do since I was 12yrs old. He may not be a giant but he will always be on my wall and I couldn't be happier with it. The bull ended up running about 200-250yds and was laying only 50 yds from where we stopping looking to go get help. And to make the story that much better was he died about 75yds from a road we could drive the ranger on so the pack out was a breeze.
Great bull, congratulations!!!!
Well my 1st time ever applying for a tag ended in my 1st time success. I was able to get it done on the very last afternoon of my 7 day hunt. Me and my guide worked our butts off for 7 straight days running all over the mountains chasing bulls with several close encounters but never able to close the deal. On my final hunt this beautiful frame 6x6 came to water at 20yds broadside. However, it wouldn't be that easy because as I drew back my felt on my rest had shifted and the arrow squealed the whole way back spooking the bull. Luckily, he stopped broadside at 45yds but of course there was a tree covering all vitals so I'm stuck at full draw for almost 2 full minutes until he finally looks away so I can let down. He then moves to a gap between trees that allowed for a shot, except this time he is quartering away and I could tell he was about to take off. Still at 45yds, I shoot a little back to play the angle and as he's running off my arrow is sticking out the opposite side about 18in and its sticking out right behind the front shoulder. Now comes the stress, because we give it 30-45min and go look for blood and there is hardly any to be found. After tracking it for about 60-75yds with just specs of blood he stops running and we find our biggest spot of blood which was only about the size of a baseball. We continue to track it for another 15yd and lose blood all together and now he is walking. After looking for another 10mins with no blood we decide to back out and go get help which takes awhile because the ranger ride one way is about 1.5hrs, so after getting back to camp and getting help and returning to the spot about 5hrs have passed since taking the shot. At this time it is now dark and we still aren't finding blood, so I just start walking in the direction I felt like he took. It was at this point I could smell elk but didn't see anything so I'm shining my light out in front of me and I catch a glisten from an eyeball. I ended up shining it a few times to make sure that was what I was seeing and so without saying a word I ease around the trees to see if I could confirm what was there. As I shined my light around, I found the rear of the body and just slowly followed it to the head where I could see that he was for sure dead. Now, after collecting my excitement I announced to my search party that I had found him. I had to hold back tears as the pure emotion just took over because of how hard we worked all week and I was finally able to accomplish something I've wanted to do since I was 12yrs old. He may not be a giant but he will always be on my wall and I couldn't be happier with it. The bull ended up running about 200-250yds and was laying only 50 yds from where we stopping looking to go get help. And to make the story that much better was he died about 75yds from a road we could drive the ranger on so the pack out was a breeze.
Great bull, congratulations!!!