1st time elk hunt. Clothing advice

Skwurl

FNG
1st season, 1st week of archery elk hunt in southern CO. Sept 1-around 12th. Trying to figure What I need still. Here is what I currently have. don’t care about brand or camo. 5 day drop camp and then another 5 day pack in diy. I do get cold fairly easily. Don’t want to spend a bunch but would rather have good gear.

Sitka core light way zip t- long sleeve and a short sleeve
Minus33 mid weight base
Sitka core heavyweight 1/4 zip
Eddie Bauer puffy
Wrangler stretch pants
2 pair excoficcio underwear, 3-4? How many needed?
Cabelas space rain jacket and pants
Boots- Solomon quest 3gtx
Pack kuiu 6000

Im thinking a lightweight breathable jacket- do I need with a mid weight and heavyweight T? If so suggestions?
1 more pair of pants-leaning towards prana stretch zions
Base layer bottoms-will they be needed at that time of year?
Socks- hearing a lot about darn tough- how many pair?

beanie needed?
Gloves?

Looking at weather for the area last couple years it shows 70’s-90’s but that was in town not at 8-10k’

Felix40

WKR
Ive seen it snow the first week of sept so its hard to say what the weather will be. I would bring gloves, beanie, and base layer bottoms but leave the extra pants and more than one pair of underwear.

TBHasler

WKR
I’d suggest working in some merino wool base layers - the synthetic stuff you have listed will likely getting stinky for that long of a hunt

I’ve hunted that exact time/area, it can be warm/cool/cold/wet. Space rain should be good for wet weather.
Pranas or Eddie Bauer type pants are perfect for that time.
I would bring something like a puffy for IF the temps drop

You’ve got plenty of time to try various socks out between now and then - which I would suggest. You won’t need to worry about warmth or durability but you will need to make sure what you go with can breathe and doesn’t help create hot spots or anything.
Best of luck

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend:
merino wool baselayer
Lightweight pants
Vest or light weight jacket
Quality rain gear

OP
S

Skwurl

FNG
Thanks all. I do have a puffy jacket, what would you suggest for an outer layer lightweight jacket? I was looking at the first light corrugate guidejacket maybe?

OP
S

Skwurl

FNG
Thanks all. I do have a puffy jacket, what would you suggest for an outer layer lightweight jacket? I was looking at the first light corrugate guidejacket maybe?
Just having a hard time determining how insulated and breathable they are. Also trying to get post count up to be able to shop classifieds!

Gorp2007

WKR
Just having a hard time determining how insulated and breathable they are.

They're not insulated at all, but they're very breathable. Good at shedding light precip and great when you’re moving and want something to cut the wind without turning into a furnace. I use mine a lot during spring turkey season and when moving a lot in the winter.

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Use the drop camp (horses, wall tent, wood stove) to your advantage. With the luxury of the stock carrying your supplies, bring some extra clothing. After 5 days in the drop camp, you’ll have a pretty good idea of what’s working, and what’s not worth packing in on your back.
From my experience, definitely need a beanie and gloves. Best all around hunting pants, Kuiu attack pants.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
Prana stretch zions are awesome. I like them more than my first lite pants.

Great pants and can be picked up on sale, wore mine every day on my first elk hunt, which was 1st week of September in NW Colorado. I also wore a sitka base layer top (light hoody), an old fleece, first lite UL puffy, Sitka hat, merino boxer, darn tough socks. All worked fine, but I usually was just in the base layer top since you ll warm up quickly while moving and the days will be warm.

One must have for me was a UV buff, wouldn't want to spend a week in the sun without it.

As for rain gear I picked up some Marmot stuff on sale, but it rarely left my pack.

I was surprised how little I used my puffy, pretty much just when at camp in early morning hours.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
My system for archery this year.

Light weight baselayers. Wear the tops and pack the bottoms.
Lightweight pants - something that will keep the burrs out and protect your legs. I used Kryptek Valhalla last year and they were great until I took a digger on the trail and ripped them up.
Fleece or wind proof jacket for hiking in the morning.
Puffy jacket or vest depending on how cold it is expected to get for the week
Lightweight rain gear
I personally like a balaclava versus a hood to protect my neck and bald head
Beanie
Lightweight gloves
Uninsulated boots with a good Merino socks that has been broken in with the boot.

I like to pack a second pair of socks to make sure my feet stay dry. I wouldn't worry as much about a second pair of boxers.

As has been said, I'd pack my fears for the drop camp and use only what worked while DIY backpacking. You'll figure it out rather quickly.