1st Time Elk Hunter- Calling during Idaho Rifle Season

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Me and a group of buddies are headed out rifle hunting in October of 2020. We're doing a dropcamp in the Sawtooths, and are curious about calling. I'm already competent using diaphragm calls in the turkey woods.

Is it worth learning to call for a rifle hunt?
Diaphragm and/or external reed recommendations?
Is it worth buying and packing a bugle tube?

Any tips appreciated.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would definitely have it as an option prior to wolves I had some incredible bugling in October and still do get them to answer just on a much lesser scale these days the 2nd estrus can generate some bugling

Don’t expect much bugling action but occasionally you’ll get some. Be easy on the bugle tube. It can harm you as much as it helps.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is true many times and for most but if I posted the number of bulls I’ve shot in October bugling most would cough a lung 🥰
”Don’t expect much bugling action but occasionally you’ll get some. Be easy on the bugle tube. It can harm you as much as it helps.” Just for fun 10/27/02 chased this guy and 370 stud in north Idaho jungles all of October bugling finally I go my chance and they went off against each other and I slipped in....this Montana bull was screaming with five others on opening day around the 25th, sadly both long before wolves in the area but it can still occur just need that bugle to tip you that hey I’m over here👍E14C125E-9EE9-4DA1-8CC3-D0FEE3E46786.jpeg75B4EFC8-023B-45C3-9238-394F1CFB2623.jpeg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
You guys are planning a drop camp in the Sawtooths? What's your backup plan? Those tags are like unicorns. It would be miraculous if you all manage to snag one during the online tag sale rodeo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, it would have to be an outfitter drop camp to assure tags for everyone in the group.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Its hit and miss in october. If a cow doesnt get bred in September, often times they will come back into Astros around a month after her first. If that happens it's usually pretty dang crazy. I've had it happen to me several times.

Wrench

WKR
I heard several bulls go off the morning of Oct 25th, I piped off and was able to walk right into two bulls. I then headed to Washington and 3 days later heard one go off....it can happen. I'd say in my experience its about once every 15 years that I experience what I did this year.

I'd love it to be like this every year.