1st Top Tier Hunting Backpack

cjdewese

WKR
Hey Guys, Hoping to get some feedback and help from the community.

To start I bought an Alps OutdoorZ Traverse backpack when I 1st got into hunting as a budget option as I wasn't sure hunting was going to be a long term hobby. For the most part the pack has been OK for day trips and carrying my gear but is lacking in a few features. This was the 1st year I got into back country hunting where I am packing in 1-3 days of gear and hunted miles away from my house for a few days at a time.

I shot my 1st deer where I had to pack it out on my back and this is where I realized that there has to be a better system. I've found that where I hunt there is a much larger population of deer 3-7 miles back and want to be able to hunt them moving forward.

I am looking for a pack where I can easily pack in 1-3 days of gear and be able to pack out an animal if I am successful. I am hooked when it comes to hunting and now realize I will be doing it for the rest of my life and would like a pack that will last a long time and be a lot more comfortable in these situations.

I've spend the past few weeks researching backpacks and think I have it narrowed down some.

I have heard nothing but good things from the Kifaru Stryker XL, Helbender or the Exo Mtn K3 system.

I've read through a lot of reviews and threads here on the site.

It sounds like I can't really go wrong with either choice, but want to get some feedback from you guys that have used these packs or if there is anything else I should be considering.

When I shot my deer this year, with 2 nights of gear as well the packout ended up being roughly 95 lbs which was brutal by the end of it. The weak link was 100% my pack, my legs and back weren't sore at all but I had a ton of pain on my shoulders the last few miles as I couldn't get the pack to stay tight around my waste with that much weight.

Looking forward to any feedback or advice you guys can give as I finish out the research phase of this process.

Picture of my pack-out this year, total noob but we made it work. I realize now after the fact, there is more that I could have done with the load itself to make it a bit easier but not a ton of adjustability with this pack to help out.

Attachments

• Pack Out.jpg
    Pack Out.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 112
OP
C

cjdewese

WKR

20% OFF EVERYTHING STARTING 9am MTN TIME STARTING 11/21
Yep saw that, part of the reason I'm trying to get this all figured out as quick as I can. :)

sndmn11

WKR
I think the best approach to this problem is to reset your mind to shopping for the right FRAME for you. Not the right pack. Every company that will be suggested in this thread will have a pack that accomplishes what you need it to do. Not every company that will be suggested will have the FRAME for YOUR BODY, even though they might have the frame for 70% of bodies.

I would post up your location here, and a WTB/WTT ad in the classifieds phrased as Want to Borrow and Try ____(insert company name)____'s frame. This might save you a lot of analysis paralysis and second guessing.

Kifaru @Kenneth@Kifaru and Exo @Mark at EXO @S&S Archery (Rob) might be great choices. Seek Outside @Kevin_t @RockChucker30 , Stone Glacier, and Initial Ascent might also be great choices.

Last edited:
Yep saw that, part of the reason I'm trying to get this all figured out as quick as I can. :)
packs are like boots; different ones work better for each individual person. Only way to truly find that out is to try them all (which i understand can be difficult and expensive if you don't have access to them)

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
packs are like boots; different ones work better for each individual person. Only way to truly find that out is to try them all (which i understand can be difficult and expensive if you don't have access to them)
This is what I've heard. I guess I'll get busy and buy my 1st and go from there.

I’ll just reaffirm what’s already been said, packs are highly individualistic. I started with Badlands, then went to Eberlestock, then went to an Exo K2 then a K3, now I just bought a Kifaru. All are/were excellent packs.

One thing I wish I knew earlier in my pack journey is that it takes quite a bit of fiddling around to get a new pack sorted out. Especially top tier packs.

It takes a few tries to work out the kinks; at least that’s been my experience. Sometimes a pack just doesn’t feel right in the beginning, but after a few important tweaks it starts to feel good.

How a pack is loaded, how it’s tightened, how high the pack rides, where the waist belt sits, where the chest strap is located, how far apart the straps are, how thick the lumbar pad is, how tight the delta straps are, how high the load lifters are…all make a difference in how a pack rides.

Also, watch the pack manufacturer’s fitting videos, whether it’s Kifaru, Exo, Hill People Gear, etc., and don’t hesitate to reach out to the companies for help.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
The Exo is indeed a great place to start with the discount. If you’re concerned about the latest and greatest, from the sounds of it, an updated pack may be rolling out next year from Exo. Value wise 20% off on a proven pack is a killer deal. Used is also a great way to buy and sell without eating costs outside of shipping.

As noted by others, get a pack, load it up. Fiddle and see how it fits. If you can’t fit it, call the manufacturer and see if they can work it through. If that fails, see if you’re able to return it or sell it and try something else.

I have worked my way through a couple Kifaru and SG packs the past few years. I’ve really enjoyed them all, but found there are trade offs in everything.

I’ll likely try an Exo K4 on release, but I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to sell my SG Terminus bag. Not for everyone, but it’s the bees knees for me for sheep hunting.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I ended up going with the Exo K3 4800 on sale today and I am pumped.

While I would love to try on every manufacturers frame and see what I liked best. Unfortunately for most of us that just isn't a realistic option. If for some reason this doesn't work out how I am hoping, I will look at some other manufacturers and see if they feel any better.

@cjdewese I'd say go Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I have the SkyGuide which is bigger then you are needing but I'd get a 5000 bag.
Don't go with the Kuiu, my buddy has one and he wishes he had also gotten the Stone Glacier.

I can't praise SG enough for their responsiveness, customer service, and how well the products have performed. Fantastic.

I have an exo k2 and the kifaru duplex light. Both carey weight very well in my opinion. I ise the kifaru mostly just cause i like the bag more. The frames were a tie on comfort for me.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
I would go with the 4800 personally, it folds to nothing, think you will be happy.
Yeah I actually got the 4800 I liked the horseshoe zipper and a little bigger bag. At most I will have to pack for 3-4 days and pretty sure I could do that easily with the 4800.

I was mainly talking about and excited to get the 20% off.