2:1 guided Canada hunt... suggestions?

Who knows when the border will open, or if we’ll even be welcomed after this past week, but.... I’ve been thinking. Never good, right?

Was about to drop stupid amounts of money on having a boat mostly built in Maine, and doing last third or so here in Florida with my dad. Well, he recently got some health news and boat building likely won’t be an activity on his dr approved list. I can’t possibly take on the project by myself from a logistic, or more importantly, financial standpoint. We’ll know more about him next Thursday.

All that being said, skipping this project will leave me with some cash to play with, even though I’d rather finish a 23-24 knot cruise 38 downeast with a 400nm range with him.

A couple years ago I booked a pilot for a drop hunt in AK. Pilot base of operations changed and we backed out. Then partner got cold feet and quite honestly, the logistics grew a bit overwhelming. I’m in a better cash position now, but not guided AK good. I mean I could do it, but it would be a bad move.

So, I got to looking at 2:1 guided in maybe BC. Prices seem to be a little more affordable. But gosh there are a bunch of damn websites claiming to be the best. I may not be the sharpest spoon in the dresser drawer, but I know they can’t all be the best thing ever.

Any recommendations on a reputable operation with a decent chance at 50” bull? Not exactly sure what budget would be this go round. Happy to pay for flight into field of required, or if hunting is good and there’s a base camp accessd by atv or horse that’s fine too. Just trying to get a sense of where to start. Looked at Newfoundland and while the numbers are staggering, I’d like a chance at a little bit bigger bull.

Any thoughts? And no, this would not be with my father who is likely not in condition to finish a boat over course of a year.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Try Doug McMann at Skinner Creek. He's a good operator. He'll be on the lower end of price and 50" is possible, but may not be the norm. You'd have to ask him that, though.

Kawdy is another I've looked at and they are good, but more expensive.

There are other good ones. These are two I know or looked at seriously (not necessarily for moose).

Or call Greg Brownlee at Neal and Brownlee. They know who is who in BC and can steer you to a good operator.

Pricing can vary a lot in BC.

Jeremy

OP
P
Try Doug McMann at Skinner Creek. He's a good operator. He'll be on the lower end of price and 50" is possible, but may not be the norm. You'd have to ask him that, though.

Kawdy is another I've looked at and they are good, but more expensive.

There are other good ones. These are two I know or looked at seriously (not necessarily for moose).

Or call Greg Brownlee at Neal and Brownlee. They know who is who in BC and can steer you to a good operator.

Pricing can vary a lot in BC.

Jeremy
Appreciate it. Have learned a lot since original post. Spoke with a very helpful guy earlier today. He’s a bit out of price range, but he pointed me a towards a couple guys he can unequivocally vouch for. Forward to researching them, as well as your suggestions, a little.

And yes, BC varies a LOT and for good reason I’m learning.

OP
P
Found what I guess is basically a guide broker.

Here’s a 2020 .pdf of the listed moose options #1 - 20 all over Canada and AK

Some of the BC options at 14-15k look decent, but no good way to research considering names of actual operation aren’t provided. I guess “ Snowshoe Wilderness Adventures” just takes a cut for each trip booked.

Anyone recognize who some of these folks might

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know the price tag you are looking at but this is a local guiding service. Their success rate is very high and they have had Canadian Moose over 60" come out of here.

I've personally been to the lake on a Lake Trout fish and the lodging has been nothing but great and the fishing is world class

OP
P
I dont know the price tag you are looking at but this is a local guiding service. Their success rate is very high and they have had Canadian Moose over 60" come out of here.

I've personally been to the lake on a Lake Trout fish and the lodging has been nothing but great and the fishing is world class
Thanks. Fair prices for sure. Will look into.

Pandhandler80 - I'm just starting similar research for a hunt in 2026 or later. If you're willing to share any info or names of guides who you focus on, I would be happy to compare notes.

Reach out to Mark at Anchor Bar Outiftters in Alberta. They have Shiraz/Canadian moose. Saw a lot of huge moose there while hunting whitetail and mule deer.

Laramie

WKR
I researched heavily over the last few years. I also felt Alberta had the most bang for your buck. Experience has to be considered though. Some of the hunts don't offer much adventure. 50" is very attainable for 8-10k.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Any Intel?

Claim 100% on 45-55 inch moose for $6500 guided. Sounds little too good. Also sounds like 8 hunts on 33,000 acres might get a bit tight Year in and year out.

????
Sounds fishy. I'm originally from Saskatchewan, and some of my family are from the Cutknife area. I would think this is a canned hunt or on a reserve, there are no outfitters allowed to guide for moose around Cutknife, and no Saskatchewan outfitters are allowed to guide for mule deer as these guys advertise. I know some reserves have started running outfits on their land, but I haven't heard very good reviews and have heard about some getting in serious legal trouble.

OP
P
Sounds fishy. I'm originally from Saskatchewan, and some of my family are from the Cutknife area. I would think this is a canned hunt or on a reserve, there are no outfitters allowed to guide for moose around Cutknife, and no Saskatchewan outfitters are allowed to guide for mule deer as these guys advertise. I know some reserves have started running outfits on their land, but I haven't heard very good reviews and have heard about some getting in serious legal trouble.
Roger that.

Having felt around a little bit. It turns out it’s fenced. 8 hunts every year on 33,000 acres. No thanks.

I’m not sure about the legality of it but they put a lot of people through a fence place. Strange. No thank you.

Seem to go to be true probably is

I researched heavily over the last few years. I also felt Alberta had the most bang for your buck. Experience has to be considered though. Some of the hunts don't offer much adventure. 50" is very attainable for 8-10k.
Any Alberta outfitters that you can recommend or highlight based on your research? PM would be fine, if you prefer.

Wolfmann

FNG
I've been researching the same thing. Talked to a few guys on Archery talk and they all said Rokslide is the place to be for advice on hunting. I can't believe all of the options of hunts and the way the price varies. If you want to pm me I'd be happy to share some of the better information I have received. Sounds like we are looking for similar hunts with similar budgets.

Murph8868

FNG
I hunted Fredlund Guide Service in 2017. South of Dawson Creek, BC. Great hunt. It was a last second cancelation so got a great deal on it. Missed the rut so it was a tough hunt but saw a bunch of cows. Got mine on day 8 of 10. Guides in camp were great. 50" is definitely possible. Not a remote camp as I drove to it. But there isn't much out there other than gas wells.. We used truck and ATV to access areas in the morning and walked from there.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Panhandler I PM'd you.
I am an Alberta Outfitter. Fly in moose hunts,
Small operation, 12 hunters a year.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Murph8868 That Tumbler Ridge, Hudson Hope and Chetwynd country is beautiful.
Seen some very nice bulls while drilling those gas wells you speak of.

Wolfmann

FNG
Hey Panhandler I PM'd you.
I am an Alberta Outfitter. Fly in moose hunts,
Small operation, 12 hunters a year.
Not to hijack the thread but could you pm me also. I’m a couple years out from my hunt, so I hope it doesn’t interfere with panhandlers plans.