2-3 Days of Extreme Effort

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
Say you've got a few days where you're gonna be pushing it harder than you ever have. All day effort.

Assuming no intestinal issues or diet restrictions, and normal backcountry foods for the next few days. Meal bars + freeze dried.

What would you eat today, before the effort?

Will those foods provide anything past day 1?

Last edited:
Breakfast - buckwheat porridge with dried berries, raisins, walnuts, 100% chocolate chips, hemp hearts and peanut butter protein powder coffee w/ chocolate LMNT

Lunch - peanut butter and jam sandwiches

Snack - fig bars, jerky, dates, nuts

Dinner - 2 Heather's Choice meals with extra dried meat

I would eat something and drink an LMNT every 60 to 90min through out the day

TaperPin

WKR
Going from eating 2,000 to 2,500 calories in a normal day to twice that or more the next few days, I more or less have to eat normally the day before or my stomach complains and sleep suffers. The morning of a strenuous day makes the most difference, but it’s easy to load up on way too much grease thinking the calories are worth it. Call it crazy nutrition, but simply eating more of what you normally eat throughout the day has worked well for many people. The biggest problem I’ve seen with extreme activity are people don’t condition themselves to drinking large quantities of water, so for a week they struggle to stay properly hydrated.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do a very strenuous (30+ miles/day) 3 day event every May (for the last ten years). My eating the day before pretty much mirrors what I eat every day, nothing special.

The days I’m on the move I insure I’m getting small amounts of calories often- lesson learned from my ultra running days. I’ll still rack up good (good as in a lot) calories at breakfast/lunch/supper, but there are hours of high output between those meals so small intakes of calories between them makes a huge difference!