2-4 Knife processing knife set

Just seeing what is out there and what people are using to debone and process deer and such. Custom and semi custom. Doesn’t need to be super light but still able to throw in pack or use at camp or garage. Thinking of getting something but want to see options. Thanks

I used victorinox every single day. Carry one in my pack when hunting as well. Very lightweight but you do need to make a sheath for it. I use 6” curved, 5” curved, and 8 breaking knife. Carry a 5” in my pack as well as a havalon and a 4” locking knife clipped to my pocket or belt.

fishslap

WKR
Definitely get a set of victorinox. Some options were already mentioned. I think I use the 6” flexible boning (silver skin/trim), 5” curved (general), 4” utility (debone), and 8” curved breaking (you need some kind of longer knife for slicing good steaks IMO). I also use the wusthof fillet knife for silver skin/facia. I use these blade covers for victorinox knives:

OP
Y
Is there any custom leather guys that do a 2 or 3 knife sheath for these Vic knives? Seems like they are very well liked. Also I sharpen all my blades on a Worksharp belt sharpener. Do steels still work good to touch up the concave edge? Or do I just need to pratice up on my steeling?

Beendare

WKR
I use a higher grade steel knife for my processing knife in the woods, currently an S 90 V blade..... that can do a couple animals without touch up. Butchers are constantly steeling their knives in a shop, I don’t wanna have to deal with that in the woods.

When for processing meet at home are use a set of Mercer knives, That my restaurant owner buddies recommended,which are great quality at a reasonable cost.

I also like S90 V steel, benchmade has some nice options with that steel.

For a cheaper and somewhat charitable route - I signed up with RMEF this year and they sent a 4 knife/saw set to me. Not super fancy or high quality but it'll get the job done. $35 donation to RMEF and cheap set of knives, think of it as getting two birds stoned at once.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do everything with a Havalon.

Process in the field and use it while cutting and wrapping at home for the freezer. We do around 6-8 big game animals a year between my wife and my hunting partners.

Another fan of the victorinox boning knife, though I haven’t taken them into the field. I did an upgrade on my home butchering knives a couple of years ago. I seem to use the 6 inch boning knife for almost everything. I ended up buying two more of them for a total of 4. The curved version took a bit of getting used to but I prefer it now.

I also sharpen mine on a worksharp belt sharpener. The Ken onion version and it is the bee knees. I think the vics hood an edge well but I feel like they cut better at the beginning than the end of a deer, hence the multiple knives.

For the field I skin and quarter with a havalon. I use the saw on pelvises and ribs and I occasionally will use a fixed blade (winkler hunter) to pop a joint.

I hit my steel a lot because I am using my knife all day, every day. Need them to stay super sharp or end up with bad wrists, elbows, and even shoulders. My dull knife is probably considered pretty dang sharp still by most people’s standards. Use the steel to help roll the edge back over. I use a belt sharpener when I want to put a new bevel angle on my knife. Other than that, it’s a combination of stones and different steels. I can cut up a lot of critters with one knife and a good steel.

OP
Y
So is there a leather sheath that will hold two Vics and maybe a steel. Something like the Kodi-pack minus the saw? Been looking and no luck. Found aluminum ones. Might have to try my hand at leather craft.

OP
Y
So here is what I came up with.Vic 5 in semi flex and Vic 5 in chief. Reviews say the chief knife is to light for veggie chopping but what I have used of it works fine. This will be my set for deboning and trimming deer. Not throwing in a pack or worried about weight. Wish the leather looked better but it will wear in. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 4A41DF7B-7FB5-49AE-A178-6BF0E5F1AD3C.jpeg
    4A41DF7B-7FB5-49AE-A178-6BF0E5F1AD3C.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 46710C65-0356-42A5-B21C-4D051D86C3BF.jpeg
    46710C65-0356-42A5-B21C-4D051D86C3BF.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 22

Shraggs

WKR
Might check out Dlt trading. They made a double knife sheath for me some years ago and then offered it as a stock item. Not sure about fit.

Above and knives ship free have pretty good selection of generic well made sheaths you fit about anything