2.5 oz Down Quilted 4”+ Pillow for Under $20

ChrisAU

WKR
Was building a sleep system for a buddy who wanted to prioritize comfort over weight for the most part (pfffttt), and came across the Sierra Designs DriDown Pillow. Seemed like it might fit the bill for him so I did some more research on it. Seems the biggest complaint was how the pillow insert compressed easily and made it too thin.

Got me to thinking it would be nice with an inflatable insert. Looked like the dimensions would work with a Small LiteSmith pillow, of which I had a couple. Then I found the Sierra Designs on eBay for $13 with free shipping and ordered one.

The Lite Smith pillow is $2.25 plus actual calculated 1st class shipping, so really cheap. I suggest perusing their site, lots of cool cheap stuff.

Anywho, the LiteSmith Small pillow fit great. It’s right at 4.25” thick which I think will be great for this side sleeper, and the weight and portability is spot on.

In the past I wrapped the pillow with an extra layer (given it was warm enough that I wasnt wearing everything I brought), which was always a little clumsy if a shirt wasn’t able to stuff it into. This also provides a sort of pillow backup because if the inflatable fails you can just stuff the pillow “case” with clothing if needed.

Just a little cheap hack that I think I’m gonna enjoy that I wanted to share.

C171DDEF-666E-4252-BA28-21910E04439F.jpeg

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing! I ordered one up to try. Now I just have to decide on a sleeping pad to replace my Klymit V Ultralight that lasted me one night last year.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, thank you. Got the SD pillow on the way but the air insert is out of stock.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a klymit x pillow in not really crazy about. It's a tad larger than these but I wonder if it would fit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I've got a klymit x pillow in not really crazy about. It's a tad larger than these but I wonder if it would fit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have one of those too actually, I'll see it if fits this weekend.

mtnkid85

WKR
I’ve been using those medical inflatable pillows for several years. This looks like a great idea to bulk them up a little. Question did your 2.5oz weight include the inner inflatable also? If so then that’s still a bit lighter than my sea to summit Aeros which comes in at 3.1oz.

bj00pb

FNG
I have p***ed away a lot more than $12.99 for other things to sleep with.... so I just placed an order for 1 of these Sierra Designs pillows. Going to try an insert I have here to see if it works. Thanks ChrisAU for the original post and mtnkid85 for the link. I'm all for it!!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ve been using those medical inflatable pillows for several years. This looks like a great idea to bulk them up a little. Question did your 2.5oz weight include the inner inflatable also? If so then that’s still a bit lighter than my sea to summit Aeros which comes in at 3.1oz.

Yes 2.5 oz with the inflatable in it and inflated. My inflatable is the LiteSmith small. L

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I went ahead and grabbed one off the Sierra Designs from eBay too for 12.99. From this seller. And HERE are the inflatable Graham pillows for .76 or .94c depending on size, I haven't bought from that exact site, but that is how I purchased them in the past. From a medical supply shop.

Nice find on the pillows. Guess that is exactly what Lite Smiths are. The large would not fit btw.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and grabbed one off the Sierra Designs from eBay too for 12.99. From this seller. And HERE are the inflatable Graham pillows for .76 or .94c depending on size, I haven't bought from that exact site, but that is how I purchased them in the past. From a medical supply shop.
Has anyone been able to find the inflatable pillows? I cant seem to order from the link above and no one answered the phone. I emailed smith lite and they said they were expecting the small's in a couple weeks but thats cutting it pretty close for my early archery season.

Fulton

FNG
I also grabbed one of those Sierra Designs deals from eBay. I've been searching for the inflatable pillows to finish it. I just found a 50pk of the Graham small pillows on eBay for $1.98 and bought it.

Anyone who needs a few of these shoot me a pm and I will drop in the mail once they arrive.

IMG_2266.jpg