2.5x-10x scope enough?

DaveN85

FNG
What's up folks,

Was curious to get some opinions as to whether a 2.5x10 power scope is sufficient for western hunting. I will mount this on my new .270 and want something versatile for hunting elk in the timber, and deer in the open valley. I know there is no "one-size fits all" choice but was curious if a scope of this power will allow me to hunt successfully in the above-listed conditions. I think the furthest shot I would be taking is 400 yards due to ballistics. I'm contemplating this option and a 4x12 option... I know each offers a unique set of pros and cons.... interested in hearing your thoughts.

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Why not get the best of both worlds with a 3-12 or better yet a 3-15 that should be all the magnification you should ever need on the high end and still plenty low for woods shots with a wide field of view

Laramie

WKR
It is enough scope out to 400 yards with the right reticle. A deer to 400 yards with a 10x, heavy duplex reticle, wouldn't be ideal but would still work. A deer at 400 yards when viewed at 10 power will appear to be 40 yards away through the scope. General rule of thumb is you want to magnify the target so it appears 33 yards away so a 10x scope is truly designed for shots out to 300 yards. A 12x is designed for shots out to 400 yards.

My personal scope is a 4.5x14 and I limit my shots to 500 yards on game.

Bater

WKR
Short answer is “yes it’s enough”. Now when you factor in preference things can change. I’ve shot fur past 500 with a 3-9 a couple times and it worked fine. I prefer a bit more mag and feel 3-15/4-16’s are about perfect for me. Practice long and short and see what YOU prefer

xFREDx

Lil-Rokslider
Perfectly fine. If you have spotter and binos you don’t need anymore. Lower mag will get you better exit pupil. 10 power will get you shooting steel or targets to 1000 meters fine. Not talking about hunting that far but no reason you couldn’t easily hit an animal at 400m. Shot a whitetail 4 years ago on a fixed 8 power at 377m.

gbflyer

WKR
I think it’s enough. I have a Sightron STAC in that range. Cheap, good optics, dependable adjustment. The reticle is too busy for close range is my only complaint. Would not hesitate to take it West....errr I guess East, in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB33806

FNG
A 2-10 is plenty. Shot an elk once at 435 yards with a 4x. It was easy. A 2-10 is a perfect range in my opinion.

If you hunt timber or brush and get close to animals a lot the 2 power low end will be a lot better than 4 power. I missed a bunch of opportunities on nice Sitka blacktails because I couldn’t get them in my 3x scope fast enough.

OP
D

DaveN85

FNG
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate everyone's insight and recommendations. I will probably move forward with the Vortex Viper HS 2-10x so that I can dial it back in the timber.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I regularly shoot 100 yards at 10 power. I’ve never missed out on finding game in my scope at close range even on high power. My scopes are mounted perfectly for me a that point great. I’m a higher magnification guy even in the timber. Find what you like and go with it.

Good luck.

I'll be honest. I have no idea how folks have zero issues with taking shots at all game at all distances with low magnification scopes. Maybe their eyes are a lot better. More often than not the animals that I target happen to partially obscured. They also tend to not provide a stark contrast between themselves and their backgrounds. With that said, I have had younger animals stand stupidly broadside in the wide open that are just waiting to be shot.

These two photos are with SLC 15s (crappy camera on a since replaced iPhone). The buck was 625 yards and the doe was closer (but do not recall yardage).

This is a very easy to find doe just after sunrise. She's in the open and feeding down.
Coues_Doe.jpeg

This is a very easy to find buck. This was just after sunrise and he decided to hang around a lot longer than they normally do.
Coues_Buck.jpeg

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be honest. I have no idea how folks have zero issues with taking shots at all game at all distances with low magnification scopes. Maybe their eyes are a lot better. More often than not the animals that I target happen to partially obscured. They also tend to not provide a stark contrast between themselves and their backgrounds. With that said, I have had younger animals stand stupidly broadside in the wide open that are just waiting to be shot.

These two photos are with SLC 15s (crappy camera on a since replaced iPhone). The buck was 625 yards and the doe was closer (but do not recall yardage).

This is a very easy to find doe just after sunrise. She's in the open and feeding down.
View attachment 272902

This is a very easy to find buck. This was just after sunrise and he decided to hang around a lot longer than they normally do.
View attachment 272901

I must be freaking blind. I see nothing.

EdP

WKR
Too much magnification is more of a problem than too little on big game. Too much magnification makes finding game in your scope difficult due to reduced field of view. That means missed opportunities at close range if the minimum power setting is too high. At long range you have more time to get on game but follow-up shots become very difficult. I use 2nd focal plane scopes with subtended reticles and a 200 yd zero. In that situation you will want to be on maximim magnification on shots beyond 250 yds. The published subtension increments only work at max power but you have to deal with the reduced field of view. You can dial down, find the target and dial back up for the first shot, but a timely follow-up may be impossible. I find 12x to be the max I want and 10 would be perfecty fine.

FOV > Magnification. 10x is plenty and there aren't really any scopes with more than 10x that weigh 21 ounces or less and also give me the warm and fuzzies in regards to reliability.