Moral of the 2 Days Poll

Could you kill a high country mule deer w archery gear in 2 days

• Yes

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 64 82.1%

• Total voters
Did either of you guys listen to the CBA's comments in front of the commision? Or do you just continue to pollute this thread with bullshit without facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AozemEkL9G8 Here is the 9 hour commision meeting, yes, 9 hours. Pull the slider to 5:25:20, does that sound like the CBA was pushing for a September deer season? They were trying to gain an early season for deer hunters.

Same link, at 5:21 again, proposing within scope, to not only keep, but enhance the deer hunting experience for archers in the state.

This is the CBA rep, loud and clear voicing what was best for bowhunters to an already "minds made up CWC."

I have no tie to the CBA other than being a member. It's sad, but I'm busy. I do however pay my dues, and actually buy memberships for those sitting on the fence etc. It's the least I can do. When you have a guy like Steve who was working so hard, in front of an incredibly frustrating crowd, I'd have paid triple.

Sorry to derail this thread, but it had to be due to the "unchecked" fake news.

Finally, the official letter that went to the CWC via the board of the CBA......................

Honorable Parks & Wildlife Commissioners and CPW staff,

I am writing you today for two reasons. (1) To provide you with the results of our 2nd CBA BGSS survey and (2) provide you with our written board position on the just released final CPW BGSS early season recommendations. This position is subject to final board vote and approval at our July 12th meeting.

Our latest BGSS survey results can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19kqsfo_Q-qwXcT7_3EC3zuuCCd9dHbqv_PuU8_aYB60/viewanalytics

At your July meeting in Telluride, the CBA is asking you to vote in support of Early Season Alternative 1, with the following THREE minor modifications.

1. Adopt a 30 day archery DEER season starting on August 25th west of I-25. Director Prenzlow told me some years ago that when Colorado moved to totally limited deer seasons, we lost a significant amount of deer hunters that never reactivated. An August 25th start to archery deer season will (a)allow youth hunting prior to school semester start dates, (b)reduce conflict with existing early rifle deer hunts, and (c)retain, recruit & reactivate Colorado archery deer hunters. Nevada starts archery deer season on August 10th, and Utah starts archery deer on August 17th. Those states are premier destination mule deer states for bowhunters based to some extent on season date setting alone. A Sept. 1st or 2nd start date for archery deer season in Colorado is likely to lead to bowhunter participation decline by limiting consumer appeal. Our archery deer participation is already low at 11,000 bowhunters statewide. Mule deer biology is managed through commission controlled license quotas so biological controls are already in place to maintain deer populations at desired levels. Moving to a Sept start for archery elk season is a great idea for archery elk hunters, not archery deer hunters. 2. We are asking for an archery elk season of Sept 1-30, rather than the proposed September 2nd. There is no valid or reasonable basis for the current & existing archery season to lose a day afield, it will increase crowding especially if nonresident growth continues at current rates of 16% per 5 year cycle. We would ask that any commission approval motion include language for a 30 day archery elk season from Sept 1-30th. 3. Either sex licensing changes & hunter migration. a. Our advice and recommendation to the commission based our attached survey is to modify alternative 1 stating that in commission approved units with below objective cow to calf ratios archery elk licenses be valid for either sex for the first half of the season, and valid for bull only during the last half of the season. We believe this concept will achieve the desired biological objective, and prevent the undesired migration of thousands of archery elk hunters across the state. Our survey suggest 33% of bowhunters will abandon any area that transitions to bull only, and increase hunter density and crowding elsewhere. DAU’s 16, 24,30 & 31 alone might cause 1,721 archery elk hunters to move to the northwest region based on our survey results. b. Define and approve a biological trigger point for regulatory transition of archery licenses from either sex validity to option 3a as outlined above. We suggest population modeling of 30 calves per 100 cows and below as a trigger point for regulatory transition. We would welcome staff discussion and input on this topic.

The CBA board supports the remainder of archery season recommendations as proposed from CPW staff.

As you consider all proposals, we would like to remind the commission we are in the first year of a license fee increase for licenses, preference points, qualifiers, and applications. Hunters and anglers lobbied for passage of the future generations bill which allows CPW to raise fees annually for years to come. Personally, I have never met a hunting consumer who wants to pay more to get less. Public expectations are high. Our elk herds are above population goals in most of the state and our deer herds are managed through totally limited licensing using strict controls. Based on our survey, we can safely advise you bowhunter expectations are not loss of days afield, and increased conflict. Thanks for your understanding, and support.

Did either of you guys listen to the CBA's comments in front of the commision? Or do you just continue to pollute this thread with bullshit without facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AozemEkL9G8 Here is the 9 hour commision meeting, yes, 9 hours. Pull the slider to 5:25:20, does that sound like the CBA was pushing for a September deer season? They were trying to gain an early season for deer hunters.

Same link, at 5:21 again, proposing within scope, to not only keep, but enhance the deer hunting experience for archers in the state.

This is the CBA rep, loud and clear voicing what was best for bowhunters to an already "minds made up CWC."

I have no tie to the CBA other than being a member. It's sad, but I'm busy. I do however pay my dues, and actually buy memberships for those sitting on the fence etc. It's the least I can do. When you have a guy like Steve who was working so hard, in front of an incredibly frustrating crowd, I'd have paid triple.

Sorry to derail this thread, but it had to be due to the "unchecked" fake news.
Would the season have changed if the CBA hadn't pushed for a later starting/ending archery elk season? Fact is no it would not have. So even though the CBA had good intentions they are the reason the deer hunt starts on the 2nd along with elk season. And the reason archery lost a day.

Push hard on one thing and something else gave. It wasn't intentional but it did happen. Or maybe I'm just mentally challenged and it had nothing to do with the push for the elk change. The CPW was going to change the archery deer dates to the 2nd-30th regardless of what the CBA pushed for elk?

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Good discussion boys! Needs to happen..

Dirty it is a fact and we we all know the season would not have changed with out the cba pushing for a later date for elk.. Flat out why it happened period. Status quo was on the table - but it would have to been both deer and elk so deer hunters got screwed. It is also the end result no arguing there - no other way of putting it..

Yes the biggest travesty in this is basically loosing 4-7 days of the season, crowding, and safety for deer hunters all over the state. Again screw the deer hunters elk is more important... Covy where is there a rifle elk hunting that starts 2 days into the archery hunt anywhere in the state? Bet the old cba would act on that one.

Chad (cnelk). The blind cba support of totally unlimited elk tags had been a total mess by most takes and that is what I have spoken up against in the past. The cba is in full support of the otc mess.. I am not.. I bet you are a big supporter of both otc elk as well as the later start date and don’t hunt deer early in alpine terrain. As I agree w you the change was great for the otc elk hunter... Also man you misspelled my name 😂.. No worries next time just look back on the emails from when you wanted info on your 49 archery hunt to make sure you get it right next time buddy 👍.

Last no surprise the cba does not even plan to work on deer dates...... It is clear they only care about otc elk hunters and I get it loud and clear from them that they wish us pesky deer hunters would just shut the hell up and be happy with even hunting at all..

Thanks for and looking forward to more discussion.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
Colorado V [Javehda]
My name isnt Chad - and the info your shared on 49 was outdated and useless.

Kinda like your issues with the CBA

OP
ColoradoV

ColoradoV

WKR
Good thing is with a name like mine you always know the “telemarketers”..
👍😆🤡🤡

Stick to elk man as I don’t believe you have done much alpine mule deer hunting. Elk is fine why so hateful towards the deer? If cba pushed it most likely we would see a earlier deer opener and how is that a bad thing?

Last edited: