2 different types of broadheads

cmeier117

WKR
So do you ever have 2 different types of broadheads in your quiver on a back country hunt? I was just thinking there really isn't a need but if they both flew the same why not?

Lukem

WKR
Had GrizzTricks and Montecs in CO 2 years ago. Not sure why, just wanted a chance to put either of them through an elk. Both tuned exactly the same. More of a "how I was feeling that day" on which one was coming out. Sticking with Buzzcuts for now.

Ozz08

WKR
I only carry one type. But I know quite a few guys that have whatever fixed head on 3 arrows and 2 arrow in the quiver with a mechanical (usually a grim reaper). They told me the reason they do this is for when they are faced with longer shots or when the conditions are a bit windy. I don't know I guess it could make some sense. I shot grim reapers last year and I'm shooting Wacem exits this year. So far I see no reason to carry an expandable for extra accuracy purposes. I've shot these wacems on different windy days and they shoot no different for me than the reapers. I have total confidence in the accuracy of these heads.

JNDEER

WKR
I have carried one head, but this year will carry two.

6 arrow quiver. First four Slick magnums, 5th Rage, 6th Judo.

I live in a very windy city. I shoot a lot when it is windy and for me the Rage (or any mechanical I am sure) fly better then the slicks. In the off chance while I am hunting it gets windy and I am forced to take a shot in some wind I know my Rage will go where I want it to based on my practicing.

jamaro

FNG
IMO,. it is like have two starting quarterbacks... If you don't have a number 1 then you don't have confidence in either...
1 for me... :)
J

+1 J !!!!!!!!

Now that being said....Kansas whitetail hunting for does last year I had a 5 arrow quiver with 5 different expandable heads in it. I was testing heads and had doe tags in my pocket!!!!

Other than that one hunt its all or nothing. I am in 100% agreement with jamaro. If you feel the need to carry more than one then you don't trust one head or the other and should just not carry it at all. I do know a few guys that carry 3 fixed and 2 expandable in a 5 arrow quiver say antelope hunting. 60 and under they say they use the fixed and them for longer shots they grab an expandable. Just shoot the expandable! or sight in with your fixed at longer ranges.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always only one type of head in my quiver for the obvious reasons stated above. I like to remain consistent with my gear and changing heads or using different heads is not an option for me. I use a head that I am very confident with. The flight, construction, and reliabliity are there all the time to name a few key points why I shoot the same head. When I find something that works great for me I like to stick with it!

Hardstalk

WKR
One head for me. I hate variables especially when your bow hunting because the odds are already not in your favor. Im anti expandles for that same reason spin tested cut on contact one piece heads for me. Ive shot rages before because they look devastating. Ive also seen them open in mid flight. Never did find the arrow.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I could understand the expandable to get longer range, but get your broadheads tuned and you should have no problem with that. I just asked because I wasn't sure if guys like having two to be cool? Or if they were poor and that's all they had left!! ;)

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are talking a Judo tip. That is an entire different critter killer! Taking a judo for shooting various things.....yes I would agree with that.