2 door wrangler for hunting vehicle

They have some advantages over a full sized truck, but those same advantages can be had with a mid-sized pickup. Some times it's just really useful to have a bed. I like having a fully enclosed vehicle, but a jeep isn't quite that either.

A jeep doesn't work very well at all with a hunting partner, not if you both have a backpack and a weapon, and a cooler between you. Hard to find space for everything.

Apollo117

WKR
Love my 06 LJ Rubicon and drive it from OK to CO to hunt elk every Sept. with no regrets at all. (12-15hre depending on where we’re hunting). The LJ gives me a little more cargo room and I can fill it up if I want to but I can’t ever see getting rid of it because it’s too small or uncomfortable for hunting out of.
9bf2dbe6a1131b839acdc267ce9db8f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am I the only one who saw the vanity plate on @mrbillbrown's Jeep?

Nice choice.

nobody

WKR
To be used in lieu of a side by side, they cannot be beat in my opinion. They are about the same width as most side by sides nowadays, and you can get a really capable Wrangler for about 1/4 the cost of a fancy side by side. We have about 4 grand sunk into our 2000 TJ, and it has air lockers front and rear, a 2.5 inch lift, 33 inch Cooper mud terrains, a winch, adjustable shocks to account for terrain and control the bounce. It's really nice to jump in and turn the heater on when it's cold outside too, and it's killer when it's raining!

However, I would NEVER run it down the freeway to where we hunt. If I was close, like within a half hour or so, I would. But with two people, a small cooler for drinks, our packs, and weapons in the back seat, it's full. Completely full. It's really nice to have it to keep the wear and tear off our trucks in the mountains, but it goes on the trailer whenever we head out hunting. The Jeeps have a tendency to wander and shimmy, and they're honestly not that reliable relative to other options. Newer ones are definitely better, but then you're getting into a vehicle that costs as much or more to replace than your truck. And you still don't have an effective way to carry an elk out.

We have been looking at buying a newer 4 door with a blown motor however, and would swap a 5.3l LS into it. Now THAT I would run down the freeway!

Jeeps are one of the most uncomfortable rides imo. If you add 5-10k in suspension they are much better. Their fuel mileage is terrible with 35" tires and lack any space to really haul anything.

It must be a Jeep thing, because I seriously do not get the allure of them.

Mosby

WKR
They have some advantages over a full sized truck, but those same advantages can be had with a mid-sized pickup. Some times it's just really useful to have a bed. I like having a fully enclosed vehicle, but a jeep isn't quite that either.

A jeep doesn't work very well at all with a hunting partner, not if you both have a backpack and a weapon, and a cooler between you. Hard to find space for everything.
I came to the same conclusion and bought a Chevy Colorado diesel.

Howiemoth

Lil-Rokslider
Corrosion issues both body/frame. By the the time they are affordable on the used mkt. they have hi mi. or corrosion issues or both. Oh, and space. Find a used Pathfinder w/manual trans.. replace whats broken/ breaks drive it into the ground.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've owned a couple in the past, have zero interest in ever owning another one. Longest trip I ever did in one was 12hrs each way, and that was enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
Hmmm, my experience with my jeep that I posted earlier in this thread is that I don't have any of the highway issues you guys are talking about. I have the stock suspension, 30 inch BFG All Terrain TAs, 5 speed manual, and a 4.0 inline 6. I've had it with the speedo buried (goes to 100) several times on I25 in New Mexico on the way to Santa Fe on a few occasions and it drives straight like any other vehicle I've ever had. Just finished my mule deer season driving down to Trinidad and back from Boulder multiple times and had it in the fast lane the whole way. Drives great in the snow and ice and drives great off road and on gravel. My only knock is that it's noisy but I have tinnitus anyway so it drowns out the ringing.

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s you and a single partner the 2 door is just fine. Take the back seats out and you can easily put your gear an elk or moose back there. I had plenty of space for my gear, tools and dead animals.

6ce8bd8169fed91cbdb395caeac56c50.jpg

I drove and built mine for years until I had three kids and it went everywhere I pointed it. Locked, swampers, winch on each end. Oh the places I went with that thing. From running bear bait to driving trails it rocked. Now with the back seat and the kids in there it was a PIA for space but it work. I took it on many long trips and the performance was worth the poor highway manners.

15af42c674c5dc4ae9c366fc428880e3.jpg

When she got pregnant with the third I bought a four door. It hasn’t been built like the tj but on 35’s and a winch it does just fine. Here’s three days worth of gear, a calf sled, two boys in car seats in the back seat and a moose.

3ed98fa3e64061a2d1d2d164901d1164.jpg

0360666191149e6af0e2f6af61e3e807.jpg

The JK’s are so much nicer to drive and I will have another 2 door when I don’t have so many passengers.

11boo

WKR
I used a 93 for years, it fills up quick with two guys and gear. Got tired of getting beat up by the rough ride, so I got a SxS. I do miss the heater sometimes.

Samdunc

FNG
I have carried moose in jk's and jl's.
Modern hunters want the kitchen sink.
Jeeps suit me fine but I have been a backcountry hunter before the internet was even an idea in someone's head

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have two Jeeps. A 2004 TJ Wrangler and a 2018 JL Unlimited. I love my TJ, but it's practically useless for hunting. The JL, fold the rear seats down and it hauls everything and goes pretty much anywhere. For those that are saying you can pick up a used TJ for a 1/4 the price of a SxS hasn't priced a used TJ. Looked at two today, a 2005 TJ Wrangler X. Ok shape, 100K miles, $14,900. 2004 TJ, 80K miles, $16,400.

That said, my main hunting vehicle is a 2011 Tacoma SR5. 4x4, Topper. Hauls everything plus dead critters. If I had to choose 'tween a Tacoma and a Jeep TJ (or JL) I'd take the Taco everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. Jeeps are fun, 'specially in the summer. My Taco is for getting shit done.

Would not be a tow behind... would be driving anywhere from two to 5 hours to get to hunting area.

If you're only driving 5 or 6 hours to your hunting area, I would go with a Jeep Wrangler or Rubicon, or even a Gladiator for that matter.

When I do DIY hunts down there in the Lower-48, a four-wheel-drive Wrangler or Gladiator is my vehicle of choice. I can get plenty of gear in one of those to sustain me up to three weeks in the field and they're a pretty good highway vehicle when traveling 4, 6 or 8 hours to a hunting area.

I rent when I do my DIY hunts down there and I have to be a little careful of where I take a four-wheel-drive rental vehicle offroad, but if it's your own vehicle, the sky's the limit.

As mentioned in another post, you might want to rent one and try it out before purchasing.

Wrench

WKR
I've owned a cj 5 or 7 since I earned my drivers license over 30 years ago. The guys telling you that it would suck as a primary are bang on.

If it has lockers and they're not selectable, it's basically dangerous in the winter.

I put WAY more miles on my 80 series Cruiser and only bitch about the fuel.

A Tacoma would be a million times more fun to drive if it freezes and fit where a jeep does.

Depends on terrain. I take my rubicon on trails only my side by side can go. Holds plenty of cargo unless you’ve got full seats. A full size truck is too wide/long for many units in NM. A UTV has to be trailered over pavement to reach different trailheads.

Stock or with a decent lift Jeeps 2007 and newer are fine on the Highway. I’ve daily’d them and driven them for 8+ hours. Not as nice/quiet/comfy as other options, nor will they hold as much cargo as a truck, but they’ll go damn near anywhere and get you back safely.

Personally I can’t think of a better hunting rig if the trails get tight.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
This is definitely a topic that gets hashed out with all of us a few times over the years…. And we will probably go through it again. Every vehicle has positives and negatives, you have to figure out what suites your needs and style. You have people from all over the nation answering based one where they live and what their hunting style is. And Like everyone else on here, I have owned a few and ridden in plenty over the years. Jeep Wranglers definitely have a draw to them and they get you through some tight places. But as stated, if it’s built for tight places and rough country then it’s not going to be as highway friendly. So I personally wouldn’t have a Wrangler as my primary hunting rig. I’d much rather have a mid sized truck or SUV. They’ll go darn near as many places and they’re way more comfortable. Especially when the weather gets bad.

I’d recommend writing down what your needs are and then writing down positives and negatives to different vehicles.

Garan

FNG
I have been driving for the past 54 years and have had a Jeep for all but 12 of those years. The Jeep is a blast for summer fishing and hiking trips in the hills as well as fall scouting trips and fall archery hunts. I have taken the Jeeps places I would never dream of taking my truck. That said when serious hunting starts, and we are setting up a camp the truck gets the nod. Just not enough room to pack a hunting camp in or an elk out. As far as Moose go, I finally drew a tag and got my moose last year. It came out on a utility trailer behind my truck after the rancher was kind enough to load it with his tractor.DSCF2109.jpg

I’ve got a 00 TJ I hunt out of some. It’s a very capable off road vehicle and I use a hitch carrier for my big cooler. I’ve driven it 3-4 hours to hunt. Took back seat out for more room and added a winch. Good to go.

Attachments

• 90E6FFF6-CE3D-4898-8C16-E8F8773FE5C7.jpeg
    90E6FFF6-CE3D-4898-8C16-E8F8773FE5C7.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 16

WKR
I don't why jeeps are so popular. I'd pass.
Some people are just Jeep people and some are just not. It doesn’t have to make sense.

My first vehicle was an ‘85 CJ 7 that I drove off the lot in December ‘84 with 11 miles on the odometer. I currently drive a 2D Wrangler Willys. I traded a roomier FJ Cruiser for it. I don’t regret trade.

Some people are just Jeep people and some people are just not. It doesn’t have to make sense.