2 guns for hunting out west.

j33

WKR
Joseph Von Benedict just had a podcast on this. Best ones he recommended were 6.5 creedmoor and 300 WM, covers every spectrum and ammo is more reasonably priced and available if you ain’t a reloader.

If you want a little more power he said 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC.

Single gun 7mm rem mag.

CoStick

WKR
I settled on a .270 win to cover all western needs. Have a field craft, had stock shaved to fit me better (fieldcraft had a longer pull) and added a muzzle brake. Sub 7lbs loaded , extremely accurate and works on all game.

sndmn11

WKR
After going into so many gun stores during Covid and now at the tail end.. The 2 cartridges EVERYONE had in stock for ammo were 25-06 Rem and 338 win mag. Those 2 would be ideal. Just my thoughts after seeing that in multiple states.

I saw the same, so I grabbed a 25-06, and now it seems to have dried up. I wonder now if the cartridges that were the last on the shelf will now be the last to return to the shelf.

I like that combo for sure though if I were to travel the continent.

OMB

WKR
I originally bought a Christensen 300 WM for a mule deer trip and was planning to use it on a dall sheep hunt, but with that getting pushed due to Covid, I started looking at short action rifles to lighten things up a bit. Settled on a Kimber Montana in 6.5CM. I didn't start out intending to buy another rifle but now that I'm there, having a 6.5 CM and 300 WM makes a lot of sense for versatility.

OP
S

Samwise

FNG
I have a friend that will let me reload with him. Right now I have cheaper rifles and I am looking to upgrade to better rifles to keep for years to come that will fill the bill for everything I can draw in the next 10 years in the lower 48. I just started acquiring points a couple of years ago but plan on getting at least 2 hunts in each year at minimum otc bear and otc elk if I do not draw and deer hunting since I live in Mississippi. I have a 30-06 savage axis, 7mm-08 savage axis, both I did trigger jobs on because they were horrible, and a mossberg patriot in 270. I'm selling all of these though I have taken bear and plenty of deer with my 30-06 and hate to get rid of it I just don't see me using it once I buy a better rifle. I was looking at the kimber hunter for 7mm-08 because it is on the shelf locally right now and a 300wsm in savage 110 ultralight. I have not made any concrete decisions yet though I do have alot of rounds in both 30-06 and 7mm-08

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I will vote for a pair of tikkas in 308/6.5 CM and 300 WM or WSM. Solid value. Easy to find factory ammo in calibers that will be around a long time. Spend the extra money on better glass and practice ammo.

freddyG

WKR
Do yourself a favor and just get one rifle, topped with a good scope. A 7mm-08 running ttsx’s will take out anything out west. In a light gun, recoil will make you develop a flinch if shooting a magnum. I run a 7mm-08 Kimber Montana, and 120 ttsx’s put down elk with ease. The gun also kicks very little for the performance it offers.

Geewhiz

WKR
I've got a light(ish) 270 win and a not as light 338 RUM. I figure that should cover my bases. :p

I run a 308 (Remington 700 Mountain SS) and 300WSM (Tikka T3xLite Stainless), nothing has gotten away. Both light enough to kick well at the range, never notice it on game shots. Same 4-16x44 scopes and DNZ single piece on both. Both shoot a variety of higher end factories and reloads very well. Currently run Barnes monolithics in both 168 (308) and 180gr (300). Leave budget room for optics/mounts/accessories if needed. That said, you really don't need two guns unless you want them, go with the larger and shoot good monolithic bullets and they wont destroy as much meat on small/medium animals. The right bullet from a 308 is plenty for elk out to ~500 yards (my limit) IMO anyway. Oh, and when I know I'm only hunting deer/antelope/meat inside ~300yds I take a 243win(80gr Barnes TSX).

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve spent some time on this one myself, but I am no expert…

If I were starting from scratch I’d go with a 6.5 PRC and a 300 PRC, likely in the exact same model with the exact same scopes on them, and call it a day.

Second choice would be 6.5 CM and a 300 WM. Ammo availability should be good with both of these and there are plenty of manufacturers that make a great rifle inside your budget.

I have a 300WSM, which is a great gun, but it’s really for reloaders, and I ain’t one. Off the shelf ammo choices were limited before covid, but I like the rifle so I’m going to stick with it and I like that it’s a little shorter/lighter than the WM. But if I were to do it again I’d go with the WM or PRC. I’m planning to pair it with a 6.5 here shortly if I can ever draw a decent tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would advise much the same.
Along with cost a 6.5 CM would also work with a Tikka as a good choice and a 300WM or 300 PRC in a CA or a SAKO S20 or Bergara .

Spoonbill

WKR
I have a friend that will let me reload with him. Right now I have cheaper rifles and I am looking to upgrade to better rifles to keep for years to come that will fill the bill for everything I can draw in the next 10 years in the lower 48. I just started acquiring points a couple of years ago but plan on getting at least 2 hunts in each year at minimum otc bear and otc elk if I do not draw and deer hunting since I live in Mississippi. I have a 30-06 savage axis, 7mm-08 savage axis, both I did trigger jobs on because they were horrible, and a mossberg patriot in 270. I'm selling all of these though I have taken bear and plenty of deer with my 30-06 and hate to get rid of it I just don't see me using it once I buy a better rifle. I was looking at the kimber hunter for 7mm-08 because it is on the shelf locally right now and a 300wsm in savage 110 ultralight. I have not made any concrete decisions yet though I do have alot of rounds in both 30-06 and 7mm-08

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Why not get another 30-06 and 7mm-08 if you have a lot of ammo for them. That would be a good two gun combo as well.

BjornF16

WKR
Joseph Von Benedict just had a podcast on this. Best ones he recommended were 6.5 creedmoor and 300 WM, covers every spectrum and ammo is more reasonably priced and available if you ain’t a reloader.

If you want a little more power he said 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC.

Single gun 7mm rem mag.
To be fair, JvB said 7mm RM or 280 AI...

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
When you say moving to ”better,” how much better are you talking?

I got a Tikka T3x in 7mm RM as a project gun because the quality of the factory action is outstanding - it’s the only factory mass produced action I can think of off hand that accepts shouldered pre-fit barrels and replacement bolt assemblies. That is AWESOME consistency. They’re typically very accurate, or potentially so, as they ship. If you’re willing to work within the constraints of the relatively short magazine (i.e. don’t run longer than a 7mm RM/.338 WM), it’s a great platform that you can customize as you go.

In retrospect, if I wanted a .300 Win Mag (or comparable) that I intended to load for as well as buy factory ammo, I would select a different action. Bedding and stabilizing the stock can be a bit of a pain compared to the 700 and clones.

One of the best values in factory guns out there is the Seekins PH2. I don’t go In for ultra-light, so the PH2 is light enough. It’ll accommodate the PRC, Nosler and really anything else that runs a standard long action. That said, you just doubled the price of a factory new Tikka (the PH2 can be had for $15-1600 bucks with discounts, versus $1900 retail).

If you were going to do a full custom, Mack Bros is a smoking deal on a 700 clone - you get the equivalent of a worked R700 for something like $600 bucks. Pick your components well and you could bring the whole thing in under $2000.

Personally, looking into the future - I won’t buy another action (semi or bolt) that isn’t plug and play with new/different barrels/bolt heads, etc. The hassle associated with shipping actions/rifles and waiting on a smith (even with a good turn) will always be there for me if I want it… but, I want the option to DIY with minimal tools.

Stalker69

WKR
Why not keep the bullet diameter the same with both rifles. I would go 6.5 creed more and then a 6.5 PRC. Both could do double duty if required. Stocking up on interchangeable bullets would make reloading a bit less of a hassle also.