2 guns for hunting out west.

Joseph Von Benedict just had a podcast on this. Best ones he recommended were 6.5 creedmoor and 300 WM, covers every spectrum and ammo is more reasonably priced and available if you ain’t a reloader.

If you want a little more power he said 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC.

Single gun 7mm rem mag.
IMO he places too much emphasis on caliber and not enough on bullet selection, which is why he’s recommending a 6.5 CM as the deer (and smaller) cartridge. Plenty people kill elk and moose with various 6.5s, and ditto for 300 WM on whitetail, to say there’s a significant overlap in capabilities. At that rate, I’d just go with a single 6.5-7mm cartridge and call it a day.

OP, if you really want something to pair with a big 30, it might as well be a quarter-bore or smaller. I’d be looking at a 6 creed instead of 7mm-08. With the right bullet it will do everything you’re asking on big game, and it’s better suited to smaller game/varmints/volume shooting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For your light 1000.00 gun, it would be tough to beat a Kimber hunter or a tikka t3x in 7/08 or 6.5cm.

For the other gun, there’s lots of good stuff out there, a savage with the proof barrel, Winchester EWSS, browning x bolt, are what comes to mind. If you look on the used market you can score too, I got a Kimber mountain ascent 300wm from a member here for a great deal and it’s going to fill a lot of roles for me for years to come, I absolutely love it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IMO he places too much emphasis on caliber and not enough on bullet selection, which is why he’s recommending a 6.5 CM as the deer (and smaller) cartridge. Plenty people kill elk and moose with various 6.5s, and ditto for 300 WM on whitetail, to say there’s a significant overlap in capabilities. At that rate, I’d just go with a single 6.5-7mm cartridge and call it a day.

OP, if you really want something to pair with a big 30, it might as well be a quarter-bore or smaller. I’d be looking at a 6 creed instead of 7mm-08. With the right bullet it will do everything you’re asking on big game, and it’s better suited to smaller game/varmints/volume shooting.

He really promotes the hornady gmx as well which dosent seem to get great reviews.

rclouse79

WKR
I would get a rifle in anything from .270 to a 300 win mag and a big ass pistol to keep under your pillow at night so you can sleep soundly.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
He really promotes the hornady gmx as well which dosent seem to get great reviews.
I love Hornady… I have no intention of ever shooting the GMX. Copper mono are poor choices generally, and I’ve not seen any indication that the GMX is particularly good as a mono other than featuring a relatively higher claimed BC.

Going to a bigger caliber to shoot monos is a face palm moment… you could very easily affect the same (or better) wounding with a smaller bore/bullet in damn near every case. A great choice for meat saver shots, close range hunting and tricky presentations, or shooting beyond the calibers typical limitation for penetration…

wyosam

WKR
280ai and 6.5-284. Both of mine are identical, other than the 280 has a 22” barrel vs 24 on the 6.5-284. Different scopes put the 280 a little under 8#, the 6.5 just a little over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have the privilege of living in the west and hunting western game almost year round. I also have access to a variety of guns and calibers wild to mundane.

A Browning X-Bolt, Tikka, or certain used Remington’s in a .308/7mm-08 would be my pick. Tons of fantastic almost new rifles in every shop as these are now considered “boring” calibers. Both have been used with great success at 1000 yard shooting competitions and are boringly effective at any normal hunting distance.

Bullet weights are wide enough to cover anything legal to hunt and (like others have said) you will want some good glass and a whole lot of practice.

BjornF16

WKR
IMO he places too much emphasis on caliber and not enough on bullet selection, which is why he’s recommending a 6.5 CM as the deer (and smaller) cartridge.
I don't think that is quite correct...I listen to his podcast and he frequently talks about selecting the "right" bullet, in the right caliber at the right ranges. He acknowledges the 6.5CM is an elk killer within limits.

He appears to prefer a bonded or mono bullet versus the explosive type...

I've heard him dis the GMX on a podcast. He recognizes that it has a higher min velocity than the Barnes.

That being said, Hornady is probably one of his sponsors...

I don't think that is quite correct...I listen to his podcast and he frequently talks about selecting the "right" bullet, in the right caliber at the right ranges. He acknowledges the 6.5CM is an elk killer within limits.

He appears to prefer a bonded or mono bullet versus the explosive type...
He does mention bullet selection frequently, but always seems to err on the side of larger caliber for more “wallup factor,” which I can only assume means energy. If it’s hydrostatic shock he’s after, the bullets he seems to favor aren’t exactly helping. I’m far from an expert on these matters, but to me he just comes across as old school.

j33

WKR

I hear ya, yeah I take his thoughts with a grain of salt he seems very old fashion but he’s conservative on his thoughts due to his large reach. Last fall we were out on a “family” hunting weekend, one guy had his moose tag but had only brought his girlfriends 6.5 creedmoor as wasn’t prime season yet. We were doing some grouse hunting with the kids and stumbled upon a good size bull moose at 250 yards. One 143 ELDX shot and it was down, but it was completely broadside so an ideal scenario.
I won’t ever go moose hunting and grab my 6.5 creedmoor if I have something bigger in my gun safe, but it will get the job done on the right shots and especially since that caliber tends to be easier to shoot than the big flinch inducing magnum.

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a 308 and a 300WSM, both in Tikkas. I figured having the same platform would make manipulation under stress and maintenance at home a little more consistent, and having the same caliber means if needed I can use the same practice bullets (hunting loads have different bullets, but during the off season both get cheap 168gr SMK pulldowns). I know it isn't fashionable, but the 308 loaded with 130-150gr bullets is quite flat out to 300yds or so, and you shouldn't drop below expansion velocities until after 450yds.

With light scopes both rifles are just over 7.5lbs; I could definitely stand to go lighter with the 308, but the 300WSM is in a good spot since it's got enough weight that I can spot impacts.

Crum

FNG
I will vote for a pair of tikkas in 308/6.5 CM and 300 WM or WSM. Solid value. Easy to find factory ammo in calibers that will be around a long time. Spend the extra money on better glass and practice ammo.
Agree 100%

Stalker69

WKR
I don't see how loading for just 2 calibers is a hassle but to each his own.
I guess it’s not really a hassle. But it’s nice when you can find bullets and enter change them between rifles. A little cheaper maybe that way also.

crich

WKR
I have a Ruger American compact in 7mm08 that comes in well under 6lbs. Here in the next few months the barrel will get fluted and threaded along with whatever metal the smith can shave off the bolt and receiver to cut as much weight as possible. The gun cost me under 400 bucks and shoots 1 MOA with Nosler trophy grade140gr accubonds all day. All in I'll have a close to 5lb bare rifle that didnt break the bank.20210708_153821.jpg

The accomplice in my 2 rifle combo is a Fierce Rival 7mm mag that DID break the bank. I dont reload yet but stuck to these two calibers for commonality once I start. And they're both a jack of all trades in their respective categories IMO.

To answer your post a little more directly, I totally think you could get away with one rifle in the lower 48. Any flavor of 7mm08 308 270 280ai 300wsm etc will be a great compromise. That said Id focus on the style and type of rifle(s) you want then dial in the caliber with whats offered from the manufacturer. Kinda like picking paint colors to match new flooring instead of trying to pick new flooring that matches sherwin williams agreeable gray. One makes more sense to me but I'm just a guy on the internet 🤪

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
6.5 Creedmoor (flame on guys)
300 Win Mag

Christensen Mesa
Kimber
Bergara
Tikka

That’s what I’d get if I were looking for a 2 gun lineup. I’d probably try to trade my kimber 308 for one in 6.5 and my Kimber mountain ascent 300wm would stay.