2 guns for hunting out west.

Loper

WKR
I have a Ruger American compact in 7mm08 that comes in well under 6lbs. Here in the next few months the barrel will get fluted and threaded along with whatever metal the smith can shave off the bolt and receiver to cut as much weight as possible. The gun cost me under 400 bucks and shoots 1 MOA with Nosler trophy grade140gr accubonds all day. All in I'll have a close to 5lb bare rifle that didnt break the bank.

What length is your barrel, or will it be when it gets back from the smith? Do you have a specific thread or post on this rifle? If not, you should start one. I’d be curious to know how this turns out and what the end weight will officially be, as well as how it shoots and handles. Keep us (or at least me) posted.

OP
S

Samwise

FNG
I picked up the 7mm-08 in the kimber hunter due to the amount of rounds I have and that's what was available near me. Still not sure on the 2nd gun, I really like the savage ultralight and there is one I stock in the 300wm but I really would like a short action magnum gun. I've sold my savage axis 7mm-08, my mossberg patriot 270, and still have my axis 30-06, debating if I should get rid of it or not. I got a leupold 3x12x40 cds on it for now. But for the magnum gun I want alot better scope. The 7mm-08 will be my within 400yard gun or if I'm hiking pretty far for now. No bipod and smaller scope. Later wouldn't mind getting better glass that is lighter. The gun is longer then I like has has any one cut down the hunter in 7mm-08

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
What length is your barrel, or will it be when it gets back from the smith? Do you have a specific thread or post on this rifle? If not, you should start one. I’d be curious to know how this turns out and what the end weight will officially be, as well as how it shoots and handles. Keep us (or at least me) posted.
I haven't started on it yet but I'll post up a thread with all the details once I get going. I've struggled to find info on these rifles so I'll definitely post for others to check out. The compact comes with an 18" barrel and Ill keep that length. I have a TBAC suppressor I intend to put on it as long as there is enough barrel to cut 5/8-24 threads and have a decent shoulder.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I picked up the 7mm-08 in the kimber hunter due to the amount of rounds I have and that's what was available near me. Still not sure on the 2nd gun, I really like the savage ultralight and there is one I stock in the 300wm but I really would like a short action magnum gun. I've sold my savage axis 7mm-08, my mossberg patriot 270, and still have my axis 30-06, debating if I should get rid of it or not. I got a leupold 3x12x40 cds on it for now. But for the magnum gun I want alot better scope. The 7mm-08 will be my within 400yard gun or if I'm hiking pretty far for now. No bipod and smaller scope. Later wouldn't mind getting better glass that is lighter. The gun is longer then I like has has any one cut down the hunter in 7mm-08

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Pretty tough to beat a Kimber for a walking around rifle.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
The 7mm-08 will be my within 400yard gun or if I'm hiking pretty far for now.
You can take a lot of game within 400 yards if you can shoot 400 yards well.

Put good glass on the rifle you just bought and learn to shoot it well.

If your a hunter, you should be able to get within 400 yards of just about anything you want to take.

So bottom line is two things. Learn to shoot your rifle the best you can and learn to hunt the best you can.

Both of these will take a little time and effort to master, but when you do.......

Think about it this way. Hunters can get close enough to everything in NA to kill it with a bow. You've got a rifle.

rootacres

WKR
Lots of good answers on here. If you had to pick two a 6.5 cal and 30 cal would probably be great. Especially if you plan on shooting at some extended ranges.

If it was just me shooting the rifles a 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC (I reload) would probably be a good pair.

I have a 7mm SAUM that I don't plan on parting ways with and will probably add a 30 cal mag before my next elk hunt. The 7mm did do great on an elk last fall. So real world Ill have a 7mm SAUM and a 300 PRC / 30 Nosler (something like that).

One rifle can easily fulfill your needs. Here are a few popular suggestions that have mild recoil and can be shot well by a vast majority of hunters (male, female, small stature) with available factory ammo and without a brake or suppressor:

.25-06
6.5 CM
6.5 PRC
.280AI
7mm-08

Spend the extra $1,500 on optics and ammo.