2 guys one tent?

Geewhiz

WKR
If your honestly concerned about weight, IMO the idea of each having their own shelter is rediculous. For the past 7 or so years I've backpack hunted with my dad and we share a 2 man marmot tent. Its got vestibules on both sides and it works just fine for us and our gear.

To burn another 3 or 4 or 5 lbs on another tent seams silly to me.

***and it cost like $200***

But I guess Im stupid for not spending an extra $700 on redundant gear.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
He has Sleep Apnea, if he does not have a diagnoses, he should get along with treatment, as his life may literally depend on it.

I kid you not, at the time he worked selling CPAP machines and doing sleep studies. I told him he should give himself a discount and get set up. Never did.

My brother and I run a BPWD Luna 6. Pretty light setup, not 4 lbs with the pole but not much more than that. Great size for two, although we have slept 3 elk hunting and 4 just camping. it's perfect for 2, all gear fits inside and enough room to run a stove if needed. It was cozy with 3 and a stove but had to keep our gear outside(covered with a light tarp).

ikeG

FNG
Kuiu Refuge 3p is awesome for 2 people. Vestibule at each end to split your gear and fits two tall guys long ways with the trekking poles between you. We use it with the floor(not the liner) in September

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

You can get a tarp type floorless shelter that will hold 2 dudes and gear for a fair bit less weight than that. That assumes you pitch it with trekking poles you already carry. I built a copy of a kifaru super tarp (i think) and I don't feel crowded with another dude in there. Not exactly sure what yall are doing in yalls tents.
A Warbonnet Ground Tarp fits this bill. I’ve shared it before with another person. Plenty of room.

I bring it with me even if we aren’t planning to bivy/spike because it can be used as an emergency shelter and fit four people in a pinch.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A 2 person tent is fine for 2 people sleeping and in good weather.
I'm 6'6" and I have never found a 2-man tent that's even big enough for one person, let alone two. But I also use a 14x16 wall tent for base camp, so I like my space.

I use a BA Copper Spur UL4 solo, or with two of us.......tops. It just fits two man-size sleeping pads and bags or quilts lengthwise, with room to move around a bit. The two vestibules are great as well. IMO a perfect 2-man setup, while a little heavy for solo.......but I sold my CS UL3 so it has to do.

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'6" and I have never found a 2-man tent that's even big enough for one person, let alone two. But I also use a 14x16 wall tent for base camp, so I like my space.

I use a BA Copper Spur UL4 solo, or with two of us.......tops. It just fits two man-size sleeping pads and bags or quilts lengthwise, with room to move around a bit. The two vestibules are great as well. IMO a perfect 2-man setup, while a little heavy for solo.......but I sold my CS UL3 so it has to do.
Yep, I have a 14x16 wall tent as well, but I'm flying this trip so that's out of the cards. When my wife found out that I was tent shopping again, she said don't you already have a big tent? She didn't quite understand about wall tents on planes, haha.

rayporter

WKR
another vote for a six man tipi.

take enough stakes to get it up and then cut the rest of the stakes on site. cut a pole on site and save more wt.

Laramie

WKR
Didn't they make a movie about this? Broke something mountain? Idk...

I'm a one man, one tent kind of guy. I'll gladly pack a couple extra pounds to have my space. The quality of sleep alone will make up for it imo.

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
another vote for a six man tipi.

take enough stakes to get it up and then cut the rest of the stakes on site. cut a pole on site and save more wt.
Do you ever worry about finding a back country site with big enough space for the 6 man, or is this mostly a non issue?

WKR
We hunt later seasons here. Son and I are both 6'7" and we pack the extra weight for a Keron 3. It really works well for taller people but at around 9 pounds.

If a guy wanted to go cheap, the old Eureka 4 man Timberline also served us well for 20 years or so.

BDRam16

WKR
I may be in the minority here but spending time BS'ing around camp is half the fun of the trip. 4 man teepee is fine for two guys with gear if you don't pack a ton. It's just about maximizing your usable space and being organized.

many years ago when a younger guy and spending all my money on beer and wimmens, my best friend and hunting buddy used to do a lot of remote trout fishing, we are both over 6 ft. tall, we camped with a yellow lab and slept in a military issue pup tent, and yes the dog slept in there also now that was tight quarters especially if the dog was wet, now that I am old and wise it shall be my suggestion that a four man tent is the smallest size I would go. and then with a tarp strung up for extra gear, Just sayin.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Not saying it is the most comfortable thing ever but I've done several 10-14 day hunts with my father in law. A those days are spiking out. Me being 6'2 and he is 6'5, we have been sharing a 2p kuiu mountain star. You will sleep if you hunt hard enough and there is room for the backpacks in the vestibule.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Cimarron worked great last year for 2 dudes and gear. Each with their own side if the tent, plenty of room to not touch each other even with a full nest. Colder season without nest would have even more room. Carbon center pole worked great as a rifle rack and cloths drier. Lots of rain but not cramped at all.
5D990E40-32AF-4C9D-9643-599A8E744D29.jpegAE0C5C88-D2D5-4381-9112-91C849D6AF55.jpeg5F58D344-2BF8-4952-B29D-38F093ECC23A.jpeg1F3C6865-63E4-476D-8D72-669A39C16A37.jpeg0FB7AE4D-CBF3-40C8-860C-F87BCA32012B.jpeg