2 guys one tent?

Mikej

FNG
The only way I’m sleeping with another person in a 2 man tent is my wife. Otherwise. Too close.

Nope. Ive played the lightweight/efficient 2 guys 1 tent idea a few times and never again. Unless its an emergency or a wall tent , im bringing my own rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mouri010

FNG
Get both…😂 always good to have a lightweight solo setup then a bigger setup capable of housing 2/3 imo

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm odd man out on this one but I have no issues with saving weight and sleeping in the same shelter with a partner, and I definitely still scratch my nuts and fart.

So what did you end up doing? Did ya get into em?

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm odd man out on this one but I have no issues with saving weight and sleeping in the same shelter with a partner, and I definitely still scratch my nuts and fart.

So what did you end up doing? Did ya get into em?
So I ended up buying a slumberjack outpost 4 man tipi. We split the weight and this worked really well and to be honest, this was a great set up for two guys. Rugged tent which I purchased for ~$100, and perfect for two guys over six feet. I'll probably install a stove jack if I decide to use it in the later seasons.

We got into elk, but man, they were real quiet the first week. It rained or sleeted at some point every day, so on day 5 we came out, got a room and dried stuff off. Tent didn't leak, but things got damp, and we needed a recharge. We got back in the next morning, and the next day things really picked up and we had elk bugling on two ridges. The next two days we had two close encounters were we got the bull to within about 100 yards and screaming at us, but I just didn't have the experience, confidence or whatever, to get him to commit and come in closer. It was friggin awesome to say the least! I had the tag and was the way better caller, so I think that was limiting as well. Seems beneficial to have the caller standing back a ways, but that didn't happen.

One evening next to a wallow, we thought a bull had snuck in to 70 just in the thick trees and was raking limbs, but the sound was weird. Come to find out, it was a bear breaking limbs and eating the pine nuts. Thank god I didn't calf call, haha!

We had a lot of "well, in hindsight, we should have done this", but in general, even though we didn't harvest an elk, it was a great experience for first time elk bow hunters. We were 2-3 miles in and didn't see another sole in the woods. I feel that if I had another day or two, we could have sealed the deal, maybe. I never felt deflated, (well at first I did when nothing was answering, but then it really lite up,) and just wanted more, so elk hunting is all I think about and I'm driving my wife crazy!!

I want to come back to Montana next month for another shot. Flights are cheap, but when you include the rental truck, baggage, etc, it just adds up to quick, so I guess I'm stuck with Whitetails in Maine. Next year, I hope to get two trips in out west, but we'll see how that goes.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
That's awesome! There's no better feeling in the world than working your ass off and getting into the elk without other presence messing things up. Glad you got some interaction, seems like the learning never stops with elk. Good luck on your future hunts!

duck

FNG
I have done 2 guys one tent many times and this year at moose camp we used the kifaru sawtooth with a Ti goat wifi stove and it was pretty dang comfy.
Depending on where you are going in MT it can be done in a LW tent, I prefer a stove though. I dont recall if you said rifle or not but ive stayed in the back of my toppered truck in the snow a few places around MT and it wasnt bad with the right sleeping bag.

I may be in the minority here but spending time BS'ing around camp is half the fun of the trip. 4 man teepee is fine for two guys with gear if you don't pack a ton. It's just about maximizing your usable space and being organized.
I agree 100%

If I don't like someone well enough to share a tent, I'm not going on a trip with them!

That said, I can't stand camping with people who can't keep a neat and organized camp.

Or at least contain your mess. A buddy's wife couldn't believe I could share a tent with him, he's not much of a housekeeper. "Well, in a tent his pile never gets more than a foot from his cot."