2 guys one tent?

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I are headed to MT for September elk and I'm trying to decide on a tent system. He has a two man Alps tent that weighs over 4lbs, and originally I was thinking of getting a lightweight tarp style, floorless for myself. So two guys, two tents. Then I got to thinking that maybe I just get a 4 person teepee tent, which we would share with our gear.

The plan is car camp and spike camp for two to three days, and move if we have to. The 4-man teepee is right around 4lbs with pole and stakes, so we could split that weight when we spike out. I see pros and cons of both options and interested in any input. 4-man means we need more space to pitch, and you are in eachother's way a bit, plus I'm 6'6", so there's that.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
The thought of 2 girls 1 cup hadn't crossed my mind for a long time so thanks for that, I guess. -Just looked it up that was 15 yrs ago, the internet has come a long ways, or not.

I'm not really into sharing tents with dudes unless it's a wall tent. I'd rather everyone have their own space. You're on the right track though with doubling the rated tent capacity with how many will be in it. It's all personal preference.

The thought of 2 girls 1 cup hadn't crossed my mind for a long time so thanks for that, I guess. -Just looked it up that was 15 yrs ago, the internet has come a long ways, or not.
First thing I thought of reading the title.

I would not put 2 men in anything smaller than a 4 man tent.

S-3 ranch

WKR
6’6 in a two man tent? With gear ! :unsure: Nope.
I spent 14 days in a 4 man with two people inside and it was rough !
but it was in Alaska and combined rain & dry weather every day ,
that tarp tent idea for gear to dry under sounds good

Ucsdryder

WKR

I'm not really into sharing tents with dudes unless it's a wall tent. I'd rather everyone have their own space. You're on the right track though with doubling the rated tent capacity with how many will be in it. It's all personal preference.
Off topic but the YouTube videos of people watching that video are PG, for the most part, and pretty comical. Oh, and that was my first thought when I saw this thread.

WoodBow

WKR
You can get a tarp type floorless shelter that will hold 2 dudes and gear for a fair bit less weight than that. That assumes you pitch it with trekking poles you already carry. I built a copy of a kifaru super tarp (i think) and I don't feel crowded with another dude in there. Not exactly sure what yall are doing in yalls tents.

EdP

WKR
A 2 person tent is fine for 2 people sleeping and in good weather. When it comes time to dress/undress, prep gear, etc, it can get rather tight. Add in trying to deal with wet gear and you've got a real mess. You might consider one or even two SO DST tarps (or something similar) for gear storage and prep. One big Tipi tent sounds like a good option but the tarps could maybe be set up on either side of the 2 man facing each other w/campfire in the middle.

Personally, I would go with a 3 man, 2 vestibule backpacking tent. That gives you enough room to sleep without having to 'cuddle' and you each have your own area for gear. Keep in mind that floorless tents or tarps wont keep bugs out if mosquitoes are going to be a problem.

OP
Kenai_dtracker

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
there’s definitely no perfect solution and everybody has their own preference for sure. If we’re doubling up in a tent it has to be a four-man or we will probably lose our minds. Even if we have perfect weather the whole trip.

Farting aside, we both snore, and last year we spent a good amount of time in a wall tent together in Colorado and didn’t have any issues so hopefully after this trip we will still be friends, ha ha!

WRM

WKR
Seek outside Cimaron would be an option

Second this one if you go with a "two man". There's a video somewhere (I think on the SO site) of one being pitched with an added "beak" on a door. I'd look into that. Looked like it gave a good bit of extra usable space.

See second video.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
Not a hunting trip, but spent the night with a buddy in a 4 man tent for a hike/peak climb. He snored like nothing I've ever heard in my life. Then he would stop breathing for 10 seconds and I'd be afraid he would die. Can't imagine doing that for a week. This was also at a campground so we had an area we could get dressed so that issue never came up.

It's nice to have your own space at the end of the day.

We went in super light for a pretty gnarly trip with a cimm and a stove. It worked out fine, I've known the guy for years, but my preference is still to have my own tent.

ahlgringo

WKR
my .02 if you are going with another dude:
floorless= at least 6 man, even better is an 8 and split the weight. I have a Sawtooth and and 8 man- the 8 man gets way more use when its not my wife with me.
Otherwise 2 tents

Not a hunting trip, but spent the night with a buddy in a 4 man tent for a hike/peak climb. He snored like nothing I've ever heard in my life. Then he would stop breathing for 10 seconds and I'd be afraid he would die. ...
He has Sleep Apnea, if he does not have a diagnoses, he should get along with treatment, as his life may literally depend on it.

Poser

WKR
Rokslide is going downhill fast. Night as well change the name to the “Backpsck Hunting Only” FB group with these responses. Listen to yourselves:

“2 guys? Need a 12p teepee or you’ll be sleeping on top of each other”